Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(03-03-2018, 12:46 PM)thethinker48 Wrote: Hey Scott,

Perhaps you can add this to your archive of FT recovery abilities.

I've been training the basic tier 1 style for the past 10 months or so.

I started from doing tier 1 basic: M,T,TH,Fri
Burned out fast

Then I did tier 1 basic: M,W,Fri,Sat
Hung a bit, but would still flatten out and look worn in 3 weeks

Then I finally figured out training EOD using this method is the best way for me.

Had great success, this is how I had VERY good workouts, felt better, fuller, and crushed the logbook, would last 5 1/2 weeks or so. Went from doing MR dips with +50lbs to +110 lbs (where I am right now), a lot of exercises I progressed in exponentially.

Today I'm sitting, taking my 2nd day off in a row to recover a bit because back to back workouts with heavy lower back work kind of shot my CNS a little. Should be g2g tomorrow.

FT is SUCH a learning curve, especially when it comes to understanding your own body.

Gained more from the $20 I spent with you than I have ever trying to figure out the "secret" of this endeavor.

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I love this! On paper I think even tier 3 looks quite easy and manageable but the reality is far different (I couldn't handle tier 2)! So interesting to hear that an eod approach has worked best for you. Would be interesting to know how much progress you make with it over the long term.
(03-03-2018, 12:46 PM)thethinker48 Wrote: Hey Scott,

Perhaps you can add this to your archive of FT recovery abilities.

I've been training the basic tier 1 style for the past 10 months or so.

I started from doing tier 1 basic: M,T,TH,Fri
Burned out fast

Then I did tier 1 basic: M,W,Fri,Sat
Hung a bit, but would still flatten out and look worn in 3 weeks

Then I finally figured out training EOD using this method is the best way for me.

Had great success, this is how I had VERY good workouts, felt better, fuller, and crushed the logbook, would last 5 1/2 weeks or so. Went from doing MR dips with +50lbs to +110 lbs (where I am right now), a lot of exercises I progressed in exponentially.

Today I'm sitting, taking my 2nd day off in a row to recover a bit because back to back workouts with heavy lower back work kind of shot my CNS a little. Should be g2g tomorrow.

FT is SUCH a learning curve, especially when it comes to understanding your own body.

Gained more from the $20 I spent with you than I have ever trying to figure out the "secret" of this endeavor.

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for ALL of that, my man!

Yes, you're not the first to find he / she need to go EOD. If you listen to podcasts (including mine) you might have heard of Shelby Starnes or Casey Reed (goes by LATS on professional muscle), both of whom very often / prefer to train EOD.

I think i address the notion of taking a day off as needed in the FAQ in the book, in the context of extending the Blast. Sounds like you did that and found your own sweet spot in terms of recovery.

So, this is great feedback and you do sit at one end of the recovery spectrum. Also, though, given that you have paid close attention to recovery and auto regulation, i think that you're at one of the spectrum there, too. So very often I get asked how guys can training 6 days of week doing FT because they want to stay in the gym as much as possible. In those cases where I've interacted enough or worked closely with those guys, I've found that they are very compulsive about training, often with very high volume, knowingly doing more than is optimal from a bodybuilding and physiological recovery standpoint, but not being able to hold themselves back psychologically from doing so.

Kudos to you in figuring out the secret that there is no secret. Wink

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I've been following FT since it came out, just about, and I have made tremendous progress. I haven't went above tier 2 since I am generating enough intensity during my training to not need it.

My question is more about frequency in general. I started a new position at work where I walk over ten miles a night on rocks and I'm up and down small ladders from time to time as well. These shifts are twelve hours long and pretty fast paced.

I have had to increase calories quite a bit since starting due to my weight dropping. I haven't done any form of cardio in over a year and this is a large reason for the weight drop I'm sure.

I am enhanced. AAS, gh, slin pre workout on training days.

My issue is legs. Over the past month they have slightly down sized and, I feel like they are never fully recovering from work, much less training. I know stimulating the muscle with weight training is needed but, with the shock of how much extra cardio I'm doing, should frequency be decreased possibly? Calories increase even more around leg training or maybe overall?

Thank you for any insight.

Here is a comparison of the last sixty days as refrence.

Upper body is tighter and weight is the same in both pictures but, legs do seem to have down sized a bit. Current is on the right. Sixty days previous on the left. [Image: 65b26570df364022a8e387cf0ff11744.jpg]
(03-12-2018, 02:51 AM)Montego Wrote: I've been following FT since it came out, just about, and I have made tremendous progress. I haven't went above tier 2 since I am generating enough intensity during my training to not need it.

My question is more about frequency in general. I started a new position at work where I walk over ten miles a night on rocks and I'm up and down small ladders from time to time as well. These shifts are twelve hours long and pretty fast paced.

I have had to increase calories quite a bit since starting due to my weight dropping. I haven't done any form of cardio in over a year and this is a large reason for the weight drop I'm sure.

I am enhanced. AAS, gh, slin pre workout on training days.

My issue is legs. Over the past month they have slightly down sized and, I feel like they are never fully recovering from work, much less training. I know stimulating the muscle with weight training is needed but, with the shock of how much extra cardio I'm doing, should frequency be decreased possibly? Calories increase even more around leg training or maybe overall?

Thank you for any insight.

Here is a comparison of the last sixty days as refrence.

Upper body is tighter and weight is the same in both pictures but, legs do seem to have down sized a bit. Current is on the right. Sixty days previous on the left. [Image: 65b26570df364022a8e387cf0ff11744.jpg]

Hey Bud!

I answered this in the thread you started. I'll just add that it seems like you're holding size pretty in the legs pretty well!!!

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-13-2018, 12:23 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

I answered this in the thread you started. I'll just add that it seems like you're holding size pretty in the legs pretty well!!!

-S
Thank you Scott!

When I submitted the other thread it gave an error so I didn't think it posted. My fault for the double post.

Also, thank you for the advice. I'll pull out the pump sets and increase a tier for lower loading. I've actually pulled pump sets for legs before as I have trouble with my knees and the higher rep work tends to aggravate them. Worked nicely then as well.

Thanks!
(03-13-2018, 06:34 AM)Montego Wrote: Thank you Scott!

When I submitted the other thread it gave an error so I didn't think it posted. My fault for the double post.

Also, thank you for the advice. I'll pull out the pump sets and increase a tier for lower loading. I've actually pulled pump sets for legs before as I have trouble with my knees and the higher rep work tends to aggravate them. Worked nicely then as well.

Thanks!

Sure!

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Still, you're doing quite well with all that walking as far as holding leg size (from what I can see). I imagine you probably need to eat a massive amount of food just to break even!!!

-S
-Scott

Would there be any issue with doing chest first on my upper body loading days? Heavy back exercises (deads, rack dead, rows, etc) take a lot out of me, more than any chest movements do. I was thinking about seeing how much of a difference it makes to go ahead and hit that first in the workout in a couple days. After I did a couple sets of deadlifts and a hard set of lat pulldowns in between last week I was pretty damn tired and chest strength was definitely compromised. I don't know if the reverse would be true but I may as well try and find out. The other part of me wants to keep it this way and get as strong as I can with chest second in the order and when I switch over to doing it first at some point it will really help out strength wise. Maybe I'll keep it as is for this first blast..hmm gotta think now lol
No issue doing chest first on loading (or on MR days). I have a weak chest compared to my back, so I have shuffled that forward on both days. (with Scott's approval). So my layout goes chest, shoulders, then back. I found some strength drop off on back, but I found more of a strength benefit putting chest and shoulders first. I however do not disagree with your thinking of keeping it this way until you stall, and then switching the order to breath new lift into your lifts. Smile
(03-21-2018, 01:25 PM)Bobby Light Wrote: Would there be any issue with doing chest first on my upper body loading days? Heavy back exercises (deads, rack dead, rows, etc) take a lot out of me, more than any chest movements do. I was thinking about seeing how much of a difference it makes to go ahead and hit that first in the workout in a couple days. After I did a couple sets of deadlifts and a hard set of lat pulldowns in between last week I was pretty damn tired and chest strength was definitely compromised. I don't know if the reverse would be true but I may as well try and find out. The other part of me wants to keep it this way and get as strong as I can with chest second in the order and when I switch over to doing it first at some point it will really help out strength wise. Maybe I'll keep it as is for this first blast..hmm gotta think now lol

As Altamir noted, no problem with either of those approaches. Very much makes sense to prioritize exercises for weak muscle groups in this way. Smile

(On a related topic, you might like this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBFWy3e...e=youtu.be )

-S
-Scott

Going thru this thread and suddenly felt heavy hearted for the late Mentalflex aka AntomAnt.... R.I.P. iron bro....