Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ebook Review
I will start by saying this book is well worth the $20 purchase price so if you are wavering, pull the trigger. This book would be well suited for your weight training enthusiast all the way to your competitive bodybuilder.

The book starts out by giving background on the program and then moves into the science behind the training philosophy. The science chapter was a bit more of a difficult read but I always like to know there is sound reasoning behind any program I try. Chapter three is really where it came together and laid out the program in a way that anyone can understand. After I read this chapter, I went back to the science chapter and the read was much easier.

The chapter on nutrition is a great read. I was really impressed with the workout nutrition recommendations. I also like how the program laid out training vs non-training day nutrition.

The FAQ section was really well done and answered several of the questions I had while I was reading the book. The free access to this forum is also a huge plus.

A bit about me, I am mid-30s and formally competed 15 or so years ago. I am in decent shape and was just looking for a new training program as I have trained 5/3/1 for the past 4 or 5 years. I would classify myself as a recreational weight trainer. I have finished my first two weeks of training. I have loved it thus far and is giving me the new fire I need. I did basic tier 1 and will move to basic tier 2 this week. I also have patellar tendonitis in my right knee. This has started to act up so I am going to adjust by moving to the three day program with upper body emphasis. I obviously can not comment on results this early in the game. This wave will be focused solely on training and I will integrate the nutrition during the next. I find I stick with things better when I do not change too many things at once.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Muscle175 for this post:
  • Scott Stevenson
(09-01-2014, 10:24 AM)Muscle175 Wrote: I will start by saying this book is well worth the $20 purchase price so if you are wavering, pull the trigger. This book would be well suited for your weight training enthusiast all the way to your competitive bodybuilder.

The book starts out by giving background on the program and then moves into the science behind the training philosophy. The science chapter was a bit more of a difficult read but I always like to know there is sound reasoning behind any program I try. Chapter three is really where it came together and laid out the program in a way that anyone can understand. After I read this chapter, I went back to the science chapter and the read was much easier.

The chapter on nutrition is a great read. I was really impressed with the workout nutrition recommendations. I also like how the program laid out training vs non-training day nutrition.

The FAQ section was really well done and answered several of the questions I had while I was reading the book. The free access to this forum is also a huge plus.

A bit about me, I am mid-30s and formally competed 15 or so years ago. I am in decent shape and was just looking for a new training program as I have trained 5/3/1 for the past 4 or 5 years. I would classify myself as a recreational weight trainer. I have finished my first two weeks of training. I have loved it thus far and is giving me the new fire I need. I did basic tier 1 and will move to basic tier 2 this week. I also have patellar tendonitis in my right knee. This has started to act up so I am going to adjust by moving to the three day program with upper body emphasis. I obviously can not comment on results this early in the game. This wave will be focused solely on training and I will integrate the nutrition during the next. I find I stick with things better when I do not change too many things at once.

Muscle175,

Thanks for the review!

A thought on the tendonitis: Make sure to avoid any exercises that are particularly problematic / irritating to that. This program has helped a lot of lifters get past these types of issues b/c of it's flexibility.

Also, application of kwan loong oil before and during each training session (as well as 1-2 time each day otherwise, with mild heat for about 20min), can be very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Peace-Kwan-...B000Y1S94E

Just don't abuse the KW Oil. Things should resolve in a week or two. Otherwise, I'd suggest taking some time off.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Appreciate the info on the tendonitis. I think it may be a bit more than that but I went to a well known sports orthopedic surgeon who read an MRI and said it was a mix of that and arthritis. The original injury came from training for a marathon. I will try the kwon oil and see how it works.

I can typically get by with 1 leg day a week so it will be a matter of on the pump leg day, utilizing non-press type exercises and absolutely stay away from lunges. I think switching to the 3 day upper focus will help as well. Instead of doing the MR for legs I will change it into a high rep squat or leg press pump set as the cluster set really aggravated it. I think I will have it conquered in the next few weeks. The intensive cruise after 6 weeks will also be minimal leg work.

Thanks for all the advice and I will do another review of the program after I finish a complete cycle.
Just wanted to check in and say that I am still loving the program.
(10-11-2014, 08:19 AM)Muscle175 Wrote: Just wanted to check in and say that I am still loving the program.

Thank you, Sir!

Any gains to report?...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Gains have been good. I have lost a couple of lbs without decreasing calories and tightened up. My strength has gone up in a higher rep range as well.
(10-13-2014, 12:10 AM)Muscle175 Wrote: Gains have been good. I have lost a couple of lbs without decreasing calories and tightened up. My strength has gone up in a higher rep range as well.

Cool.

You may find that if you slowly add kcal, you'll amplify the above... Are you trying to drop fat intentionally?...

-S
-Scott

I am not trying to drop fat just yet. I am trying to up my calories while I maintain my body fat. I will begin a cut next cycle. Until then, I will up my calories by 200 or so a week until my weight begins to climb.
I wanted to report on an unknown side effect of this training. I absolutely killed my PT test. Maxed out the push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. I have not trained for them at all. It must be from the pump work and the cluster sets. I was shocked...
(11-22-2014, 11:11 AM)Muscle175 Wrote: I wanted to report on an unknown side effect of this training. I absolutely killed my PT test. Maxed out the push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. I have not trained for them at all. It must be from the pump work and the cluster sets. I was shocked...

Very cool!

Which branch (or what specifically is the test)?... Keeping this in the back of my head in case it comes up in the future...

Smile

-S
-Scott