Integrative Bodybuilding
sets/reps/excercise selection - Printable Version

+- Integrative Bodybuilding (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fortitude Training - The Forum (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-53.html)
+--- Forum: Fortitude Training™ - Program Info, Basics, Testimonals (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-54.html)
+--- Thread: sets/reps/excercise selection (/thread-723.html)

Pages: 1 2

sets/reps/excercise selection - kyleamick77 - 09-15-2016

So I just got done doing the basic tier 1 of the fortitude. im on to basic tier 2. When it says sets for a particular exercise I took at as you do the same exercise but just another round to failure. Now that I look at logs on here it looks like your supposed to choose different exercises for each set and take each one to failure. Is that correct?

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - teelily88 - 09-15-2016

Are you talking about when youre doing a compound mixed with isolation set?

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - kyleamick77 - 09-15-2016

An example would be 2 sets for thighs is listed so what I was doing is leg pres 6-12 failure and then wait 2 min and do another set on the leg press 6-12 failure.. But then I I looked at some peoples logs and they we're doing for thighs 6-12 squats then rest 2 min and did 6-12 leg press and that seemed to be two sets.

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - masonator - 09-15-2016

the way i do it and i believe the way its meant to be is how you are already doing it, the different exercise in between is part of zig zagging between the 2 thigh and 1 quad/ham etc.

So for me on Tier 2, this week i did Squat > Leg Extension > Squat > Seated ham curl

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - kyleamick77 - 09-15-2016

Ohh so a lot of people must like to zig zag.. Ok that makes sense then... So I wa doing it right originally ... Take 1st set 1 rep before failure and the last set to failure but on the same excercise. Thanks you!

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - Scott Stevenson - 09-15-2016

Guys,

Just start reading on page 87 of the book and check out the examples. It's all in there for ya. Smile

-S

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - kyleamick77 - 09-16-2016

I keep reading it over and over again and keep seeing it doe different ways fr different tiers. Just like legs for tier two the example went squat Extension then squat but on tier 3 for chest it went smith incline then 100 lb dumbbell then smith incline then 100 lb dumbbell . So the way I see if for whatever your doing your rotating your sets rather then just going for like the chest example smith incline smith incline again the 100 lb dumbbell then 100 lb dumbbell ... I'm using the training log sheets so that's what confusing me... And I'm guessing when you get to 4 sets like on tier 3 you split it into 2 different excercises and do 2 sets for each because that's what was done for chest ... Idk I feel dumb lol or that I'm overthinking everything

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - Scott Stevenson - 09-17-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:18 AM)kyleamick77 Wrote: I keep reading it over and over again and keep seeing it doe different ways fr different tiers. Just like legs for tier two the example went squat Extension then squat but on tier 3 for chest it went smith incline then 100 lb dumbbell then smith incline then 100 lb dumbbell . So the way I see if for whatever your doing your rotating your sets rather then just going for like the chest example smith incline smith incline again the 100 lb dumbbell then 100 lb dumbbell ... I'm using the training log sheets so that's what confusing me... And I'm guessing when you get to 4 sets like on tier 3 you split it into 2 different excercises and do 2 sets for each because that's what was done for chest ... Idk I feel dumb lol or that I'm overthinking everything

Kyle,

Firstly, you need to distingue Set Type. You're taking about Loading sets here.

I would use the Overview sheets not the Training logs for the purpose of following the program. The info. is set up there more cleanly for seeing the big picture. (Don't even look at the logs for now.)

The alternation between exercise for Loading sets is called zig-zagging. From the book:

"Alternate Sets of Compound Exercises with Isolation Exercises (free weights when possible) for the same muscle group. I call this back n' forth alternation between compound, multi-joint exercises and isolation (mainly single joint) exercises 'zig-zagging.'"

(Search the board - this one has been asked about quite a few times.)

If a Tier calls for 4 sets, this is 2 sets of compound exercises with 2 sets of isolation exercises. If the muscle group is chest, the zig-zagging pattern would typically be press--> Fly --> Press --> Fly. For Thights, it could be squat --> knee ext --> Squat --> Ham Curl --> Squat

Take Tier II for back, where it calls for 3 sets, you'd zig zag between width and thickness exercises, but do two sets of one exercise and 1 set of another. You'd pick the exercise you do more sets wth depending on what your physique needs in terms of growth (and perhaps other nuances of how you're training, e.g., muscle rounds that you like to do, etc.)

If a Tier Calls for 1 sets, you'd do one compound, and thus not technically zig-zag. (This is self-evident, mathematically, so I choose not to explain this in this version of the book, but it is understandably a question that some have, so I mention it here.)

-S

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - kyleamick77 - 09-17-2016

I understand 100% now! Thank you so much Scott! And sorry for not understanding at first makes a lot of sense now... The logs we're def screwing me up.. I was reading the book thinking I had it then looking at the logs and def getting lost. Thanks again!

RE: sets/reps/excercise selection - Scott Stevenson - 09-17-2016

(09-17-2016, 12:33 AM)kyleamick77 Wrote: I understand 100% now! Thank you so much Scott! And sorry for not understanding at first makes a lot of sense now... The logs we're def screwing me up.. I was reading the book thinking I had it then looking at the logs and def getting lost. Thanks again!

Cool!

You're welcome!

-S