Integrative Bodybuilding
Pump set advice - Printable Version

+- Integrative Bodybuilding (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fortitude Training - The Forum (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-53.html)
+--- Forum: Fortitude Training™ - Program Info, Basics, Testimonals (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-54.html)
+--- Thread: Pump set advice (/thread-619.html)

Pump set advice - masonator - 05-12-2016

Hi I have just finished week 4 tier 2 on my first run in FT and I think it has just started to get serious!! I think it has taken me this long to truly feel what muscle rounds should do !

Anyway with pump sets at the moment on upper pump I am picking diff exercises for each super set, is that the right way?

ie chest/back may be - chest press/pull down then x overs/cable row

and with lower pump I do a different thigh exercise for the two sets, first in a tri set and second a tri set

ie - leg press / extension / calf raise
V squat / leg ham curl / calf raise

Is this correct or should I be using the same thigh exercise like in the book example on page 93

RE: Pump set advice - Altamir - 05-12-2016

(05-12-2016, 12:08 AM)masonator Wrote: Hi I have just finished week 4 tier 2 on my first run in FT and I think it has just started to get serious!! I think it has taken me this long to truly feel what muscle rounds should do !

Anyway with pump sets at the moment on upper pump I am picking diff exercises for each super set, is that the right way?

ie chest/back may be - chest press/pull down then x overs/cable row

and with lower pump I do a different thigh exercise for the two sets, first in a tri set and second a tri set

ie - leg press / extension / calf raise
V squat / leg ham curl / calf raise

Is this correct or should I be using the same thigh exercise like in the book example on page 93

As far as I know, you are correct, two different for upper, same for thighs. This is how it looks in the book to me.

I have seen people do differently for both, and while I think ultimately we are talking minor details here. There are I think good reasons why you should do different upper and the same for thighs.

For upper, you have the ability to further customize your pump sets, hit muscles at different angles. iso versus compound. heavier pump sets versus lighter pump sets. I think those that just do the same thing twice in a row are missing out a some different stimulus.

For lower, I cannot see how you can keep the flow going if you change thigh pumps sets. I mean you could attempt to tie down two different thigh machines, but at least for me it'd take way to long to load and unload the machines to make it work properly.

I'll add to this that I'm a guy who greatly struggles with upper body development and excels at lower body development. I can easily get away with a 30 rep leg press set, and then a 20 rep leg press set and get great equal development. Versus upper body I, at least feel, that I need more angles, and different stimulation. Perhaps someone who is the opposite as I would do things differently.

RE: Pump set advice - masonator - 05-12-2016

Another great reply thanks Altamir! So if I could tie down two thigh exercise machines (which I have so far!) it is still a good option?

RE: Pump set advice - Altamir - 05-12-2016

(05-12-2016, 03:38 PM)masonator Wrote: Another great reply thanks Altamir! So if I could tie down two thigh exercise machines (which I have so far!) it is still a good option?

You are very welcome! I think it absolutely could be a good option. Depends a lot on you, what your strengths / weaknesses are, and what you are trying to accomplish by doing it. I don't think anyone is going to say that some different angles / stimulation is a bad thing.

I could see some benefit from doing a more "leg" focused thigh pump set first (like a leg press), and then doing a more "hip" focused thigh pump set second (like a smith squat). At least for me personally I get a better isolation of quads and hamstrings on leg press, but a better "stretch" on the smith machine. So getting them super pumped up on a leg press, and then taking a smith squat deep sounds like a great combo to me.

I could also see if you have say hamstrings GREATLY lagging behind quads, I could see doing a more feet out and angled (I wouldn't do quite sumo, but something between sumo, and your normal leg press) thigh pump set first, then hamstrings, then calves. Then your normal heavy leg press then quads. or a certain leg press hits your hamstrings better, do that one first. (could also put your hamstring pump set first, followed by hamstring focused leg press, etc etc.)

To piggy back on that. Lets say on a certain leg press at the bottom of the movement you REALLY feel it in your hamstrings, top of the movement more quads. Use the same machine twice, first time do 1½ reps (½ from the bottom) to get more hamstring involvement, second go around, just try and bust out AMAP until you want to die.

Mostly the point is, if you can think of a good reason why you should be, you probably should be. And of course experiment! Try it one way, try it another way, give both a chance. See what you appear to get more from, and use that moving forward. Smile

RE: Pump set advice - _jais_ - 12-31-2016

Without starting another thread wanted to jump in on this thread with a pump set question. The one thing I'm kind of struggling with on my pump sets is how to warm-up. Right now I'm on Teir 2 and yesterday I picked;

Leg Press-Goblet Squats-Standing Calf Raises
Leg Press(different foot position)-Corner Squats-Seated Calf Raises

In between the super-sets I obviously don't warm up, but going into my first super-set I'm always doing something different. I will run through the super-set a couple times with lighter weights ramping up to my main set or I'll just warm up on the first exercise a few sets and then jump into the super-set. Both ways work but I'm wondering how you all do it?

Opinions/suggestions welcome!

RE: Pump set advice - Scott Stevenson - 01-01-2017

(12-31-2016, 01:20 AM)_jais_ Wrote: Without starting another thread wanted to jump in on this thread with a pump set question. The one thing I'm kind of struggling with on my pump sets is how to warm-up. Right now I'm on Teir 2 and yesterday I picked;

Leg Press-Goblet Squats-Standing Calf Raises
Leg Press(different foot position)-Corner Squats-Seated Calf Raises

In between the super-sets I obviously don't warm up, but going into my first super-set I'm always doing something different. I will run through the super-set a couple times with lighter weights ramping up to my main set or I'll just warm up on the first exercise a few sets and then jump into the super-set. Both ways work but I'm wondering how you all do it?

Opinions/suggestions welcome!

I stretch out as needed and usually do a single warm-up on whatever machines I'll be using, to figure out what weight I'll be using, as well as be somewhat sure I can access those machines for the pump sets.

As I've said before, warm-ups are about warming up, and that can differ day in an day out (and season and temperature, etc.), so I'd generally avoid trying to make the warm-up some kind of standardized protocol that might end up not being enough to really get you ready for the Pump Sets.

-S

RE: Pump set advice - _jais_ - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 01:13 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I stretch out as needed and usually do a single warm-up on whatever machines I'll be using, to figure out what weight I'll be using, as well as be somewhat sure I can access those machines for the pump sets.

As I've said before, warm-ups are about warming up, and that can differ day in an day out (and season and temperature, etc.), so I'd generally avoid trying to make the warm-up some kind of standardized protocol that might end up not being enough to really get you ready for the Pump Sets.

-S

As always thanks for the advice!

RE: Pump set advice - Scott Stevenson - 01-01-2017

(01-01-2017, 01:16 AM)_jais_ Wrote: As always thanks for the advice!

Sure!

-S