Integrative Bodybuilding
Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Printable Version

+- Integrative Bodybuilding (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fortitude Training - The Forum (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-53.html)
+--- Forum: Fortitude Training™ - Program Info, Basics, Testimonals (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-54.html)
+--- Thread: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT (/thread-686.html)

Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - jonmiller - 08-02-2016

Since I wrote my thoughts after blast #1 of FT training a while back. I thought I'd do the same after my second blast. I'll do my best to keep this organized Smile

1. First and foremost, the 2nd time around was quite a bit different than the first. I believe this is because I improved my pump sets. What I mean is the first time it was like I went until I just couldn't get past the burn (for lack of a better way of saying it). This time around I was able to treat them much more like working, high rep sets. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense the way I just said that. But if you can read into my wording, it just means my pump sets became much more effective.

2. Another difference is that the first time I went Tier 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3. Quite sure I took it too far and (because of vacation timing) didn't do a proper 2 week cruise. But after a week off for family vacation, I was able to come back feeling fresh for the 2nd blast. This time I did Tiers, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2. Never felt the need to go to tier 3. And by the last half of week 5, I could feel that it was time to take a cruise which started tonight.

3. Strength - the strength gains really came this time around. I notice it most in legs. But honestly upper body is stronger too, just not as much as my leg strength has improved. So upper body strength gains are good, but overshadowed. Example - before FT training I was stuck at squats of 275x5. Last week, I popped off 315x9 Good deep, hamstrings on calves, squats. Very happy about that progression.

4. I had quit cardio all together halfway through the first blast. As a natural fat boy, that didn't go real well for me. So I have been doing 20 minutes of cardio post workout. Keeping my heart rate between 120-125. Seems to be going ok as long as I listen to my body and take the cruises at proper times. And I presume this is also part of why I needed to stay at Tier 2.

So that's it. Still loving it.

Two things I have not worked into FT training yet are deadlifts and shrugs. Does anyone else work these in?

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Muscle175 - 08-02-2016

Thanks for sharing!

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - jonmiller - 08-02-2016

You bet. I need to add one other important piece of info. During the second blast I ran a high protein, medium carb, low fat diet.

During this cruise and next blast I am going to run high protein/high fat diet during day. Carbs intra and post workout with a skip load style day on weekend. Just to see how that goes.

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Scott Stevenson - 08-02-2016

(08-02-2016, 10:26 AM)jonmiller Wrote: Since I wrote my thoughts after blast #1 of FT training a while back. I thought I'd do the same after my second blast. I'll do my best to keep this organized Smile

1. First and foremost, the 2nd time around was quite a bit different than the first. I believe this is because I improved my pump sets. What I mean is the first time it was like I went until I just couldn't get past the burn (for lack of a better way of saying it). This time around I was able to treat them much more like working, high rep sets. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense the way I just said that. But if you can read into my wording, it just means my pump sets became much more effective.

2. Another difference is that the first time I went Tier 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3. Quite sure I took it too far and (because of vacation timing) didn't do a proper 2 week cruise. But after a week off for family vacation, I was able to come back feeling fresh for the 2nd blast. This time I did Tiers, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2. Never felt the need to go to tier 3. And by the last half of week 5, I could feel that it was time to take a cruise which started tonight.

3. Strength - the strength gains really came this time around. I notice it most in legs. But honestly upper body is stronger too, just not as much as my leg strength has improved. So upper body strength gains are good, but overshadowed. Example - before FT training I was stuck at squats of 275x5. Last week, I popped off 315x9 Good deep, hamstrings on calves, squats. Very happy about that progression.

4. I had quit cardio all together halfway through the first blast. As a natural fat boy, that didn't go real well for me. So I have been doing 20 minutes of cardio post workout. Keeping my heart rate between 120-125. Seems to be going ok as long as I listen to my body and take the cruises at proper times. And I presume this is also part of why I needed to stay at Tier 2.

So that's it. Still loving it.

Two things I have not worked into FT training yet are deadlifts and shrugs. Does anyone else work these in?

This is is awesome - THANK YOU for sharing.

I literally said, "OH shit" out loud when I read your squat numbers. This was in about 14-15 weeks?...

Were you dieting during this, too - losing fat?... (How much weight lost? Any idea on ∆ in body composition?...)

As far as deads and shrugs:

Deads would mostly likely be included as a rack dead / partial dead for back thickness as a LOADING set (not MR). You could do full deads, of course, too, in which case, I'd def. not precede them with a THighth Loading compound exercise that is low back intensive. (E.g., Day 1, you might use a leg press (deep, feet close together, low on the food plate to focus on quads somewhat) for a compound loading set before you use full deads as a Back thickness exercise on Day 2.

For Tier III, I'd also consider preceding dead with our width exercise to pre-fatigue the lats (lower the weight ab bit).

Shrugs actually can be used as an MR. I have been working in reverse shrugs (BB and smith machine) as an MR a of late for an upper back exercise and really liking them. (I don't have to go nearly as heavy with the bar behind the back and can really focus on tagging all the upper back musculature there in a way that doesn't happen even with doing row in a somewhat upright position.

On a day when someone does shrugs as an MR, another Back thickness exercise might be Pendlay row or a strict T-bar or cable row pulling low into the abdomen (focused on the lats and lower traps to spread the thickness-related work over the whole of the back musculature).

Smile

-S

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - jonmiller - 08-02-2016

Thanks Scott. Yeah, the squat numbers blow me away too. And, yes, 14-15 weeks, no shit.

Not sure if you saw the second part to this, but I said that during this second blast I did switch to high protein/moderate carb/low fat. I wasn't eating a ton, but wasn't low enough to be really "dieting." To be honest usually was hitting 2-3 cheat meals per week, wasn't being strict at all. (As a natural fat boy for me to lose fat I have to really diet hard with absolutely no mess ups.)

Now for my 3rd phase I am going to try high protein/fat with carbs only intra and post workout meal. Then I will do a skip load day. Going to focus on being more strict on diet this blast.

So at this time I am eating clean and moderate amounts and just letting whatever happens happen. During this 2nd blast my weight kept going up. I was gaining a little fat for sure. But I'm talking my weight going up an average of 1 lb per week. One week it would stay the same, next week it would jump up 2 lbs. So apparently I have been taking on a good amount of water too because I was certainly not adding that much fat! It seems to have leveled off now that I added in the 20 minutes of cardio post workout.

I haven't squatted this much weight since early to mid 20s. And honestly, then I was doing lower reps and most certainly not hitting parallel (though at the time I thought I was). But at 39 I can look back and see how it REALLY was! Smile Just trying to do stuff correctly now.

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Altamir - 08-03-2016

Great work man and nice work on the squats! and I agree, the things you learn from one blast to the next really carry over. I always seem to discover one or two more peices to the overall puzzle every blast, and roll it over into the next one. Success breeds more success and I am a big fan of the flywheel model, in where your philosophies and methods build and loop into each other, which can be extremely powerful over time.

Glad you were able to push yourself further on the pump sets. They are certainly something as do them more and more, you get better at ignoring the voice in your head telling you to stop, and are able to take it to the next level. Which I think pays off in all aspects of training.

Scott. Thanks for the tidbits on back training! Always welcomed and useful

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Scott Stevenson - 08-03-2016

(08-02-2016, 11:40 PM)jonmiller Wrote: Thanks Scott. Yeah, the squat numbers blow me away too. And, yes, 14-15 weeks, no shit.

Not sure if you saw the second part to this, but I said that during this second blast I did switch to high protein/moderate carb/low fat. I wasn't eating a ton, but wasn't low enough to be really "dieting." To be honest usually was hitting 2-3 cheat meals per week, wasn't being strict at all. (As a natural fat boy for me to lose fat I have to really diet hard with absolutely no mess ups.)

Now for my 3rd phase I am going to try high protein/fat with carbs only intra and post workout meal. Then I will do a skip load day. Going to focus on being more strict on diet this blast.

So at this time I am eating clean and moderate amounts and just letting whatever happens happen. During this 2nd blast my weight kept going up. I was gaining a little fat for sure. But I'm talking my weight going up an average of 1 lb per week. One week it would stay the same, next week it would jump up 2 lbs. So apparently I have been taking on a good amount of water too because I was certainly not adding that much fat! It seems to have leveled off now that I added in the 20 minutes of cardio post workout.

I haven't squatted this much weight since early to mid 20s. And honestly, then I was doing lower reps and most certainly not hitting parallel (though at the time I thought I was). But at 39 I can look back and see how it REALLY was! Smile Just trying to do stuff correctly now.

Somehow I missed the 2nd post on diet, but thinks for adding.

So over the two blasts it sounds like you gained about 8lb of FFM (fat-free meaning not fat) and no body fat, as far as you can tell.

I'm guessing to be squatting as much as you were in what seems like your prime (as far as squats go), your legs much have come up a lot(?)!!! Smile

Glad to hear about this, my man. Smile

(08-03-2016, 12:01 AM)Altamir Wrote: Great work man and nice work on the squats! and I agree, the things you learn from one blast to the next really carry over. I always seem to discover one or two more peices to the overall puzzle every blast, and roll it over into the next one. Success breeds more success and I am a big fan of the flywheel model, in where your philosophies and methods build and loop into each other, which can be extremely powerful over time.

Glad you were able to push yourself further on the pump sets. They are certainly something as do them more and more, you get better at ignoring the voice in your head telling you to stop, and are able to take it to the next level. Which I think pays off in all aspects of training.

Scott. Thanks for the tidbits on back training! Always welcomed and useful

You are welcome, my man! You're so helpful on this board, it's the least I can do to toss out something now n' again that helps you. Smile

-S

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - jonmiller - 08-04-2016

Legs have been coming up for me over the last 2 years. When I started really squatting deep and was doing high rep sets (15-20) regularly they started growing like they never had in 20 years lifting. Still not a big guy but doing my best.

They have continued to progress with FT for sure. I think they like the mix of set types.

I think I gained some fat just not a lot. I don't have a guess on how much fat and how much fat free weight. But, yes, up about 8-10 lbs during these 2 blasts. Going to see what weight does with switching back to high fat/protein diet with carbs around training and a skip load day. Just trying so I can continue to learn my body that reacts differently than most other people... that gets frustrating! Smile

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RE: Comments/Questions After 2nd Blast of FT - Scott Stevenson - 08-04-2016

(08-04-2016, 08:01 AM)jonmiller Wrote: Legs have been coming up for me over the last 2 years. When I started really squatting deep and was doing high rep sets (15-20) regularly they started growing like they never had in 20 years lifting. Still not a big guy but doing my best.

They have continued to progress with FT for sure. I think they like the mix of set types.

Awesome - Good basic training and mixing up known ways to make muscle grow. Smile

Quote:I think I gained some fat just not a lot. I don't have a guess on how much fat and how much fat free weight. But, yes, up about 8-10 lbs during these 2 blasts. Going to see what weight does with switching back to high fat/protein diet with carbs around training and a skip load day. Just trying so I can continue to learn my body that reacts differently than most other people... that gets frustrating! Smile

Well, we don't often appreciate the stuff that comes easily.

The #'s really don't matter so much in the long run, as we're mostly looking for aesthetics anyway, so that's a good enough summary for me. Smile

-S