Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(06-11-2016, 03:37 AM)mikeland91 Wrote: Scott

Would you ever occlude with muscle rounds ?
Say for a leg press or something similar ?

Mike, I'd not suggest you do that, no.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(06-11-2016, 07:27 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Mike, I'd not suggest you do that, no.

-S

What's the reason for this Scott ?
I'm guessing cos the whole point of occlusion is to use light load so you'd lose out the progressive nature of the MR?
(06-12-2016, 04:16 AM)mikeland91 Wrote: What's the reason for this Scott ?
I'm guessing cos the whole point of occlusion is to use light load so you'd lose out the progressive nature of the MR?

A couple reasons:

1.) You're already doing you own thing with FT and not sticking with the system, but still calling it that. I really don't care what folks do (honestly), but I do try to make it known if someone is saying they are doing FT and are not, which I see you doing.

2.) You are in prep. and prob. have low glycogen levels, which occlusion will exacerbate. This not IMO the to be winging a program in the way you are. What I see you doing is trying to find a way to make the training more psychologically easy by adding in new and novel things, rather than adjusting the training for the purposes of preserving muscle mass.

3.) There is a risk of clots with BFR / Occlusion Training - I'm not willing to just give someone a blanket recommendation to use that strategy.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks Scott that all makes sense

Also I have dropped the arm day now
So im running with basic tire 3
I know it's not as ''FT" as it should
But I came to the conclusion , I love Ft and in the last few weeks before show it's mentaly easier to go into sessions that I look forward to (that being FT)

im sure youl put me in my place in August Smile
(06-12-2016, 04:28 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: A couple reasons:

1.) You're already doing you own thing with FT and not sticking with the system, but still calling it that. I really don't care what folks do (honestly), but I do try to make it known if someone is saying they are doing FT and are not, which I see you doing.

2.) You are in prep. and prob. have low glycogen levels, which occlusion will exacerbate. This not IMO the to be winging a program in the way you are. What I see you doing is trying to find a way to make the training more psychologically easy by adding in new and novel things, rather than adjusting the training for the purposes of preserving muscle mass.

3.) There is a risk of clots with BFR / Occlusion Training - I'm not willing to just give someone a blanket recommendation to use that strategy.

-S

Scott,

Not to step on anyone's toes, or looking for you to give me a write off, but I have been pondering giving occluded MR a try. I'm transitioning into a a mass gaining phase, so my glycogen levels should be good. I'm looking to try and bring up a weak body parts (in my case biceps / triceps) with a unique (or more intense) training stimulus within the given structure of FT. I also have semi recent blood work (2 months old) that shows clear markers across the board. I've really been pushing to perfect tempo / form control, lift selection, pump set intensity, and stretching. It's helped a lot. Just cannot help but fall into the body builder mentality of wanting that little bit more. I understand the path and the risks that I take are my own, but I'm hoping you can at least tell me given the information provided / learned that this is a option that may be worth pursing further. I'm looking to start with pump sets and if I feel like they have merit and value, transition to MRs.

Let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you as always for your help and feed back Scott.
(06-13-2016, 09:34 PM)Altamir Wrote: Scott,

Not to step on anyone's toes, or looking for you to give me a write off, but I have been pondering giving occluded MR a try. I'm transitioning into a a mass gaining phase, so my glycogen levels should be good. I'm looking to try and bring up a weak body parts (in my case biceps / triceps) with a unique (or more intense) training stimulus within the given structure of FT. I also have semi recent blood work (2 months old) that shows clear markers across the board. I've really been pushing to perfect tempo / form control, lift selection, pump set intensity, and stretching. It's helped a lot. Just cannot help but fall into the body builder mentality of wanting that little bit more. I understand the path and the risks that I take are my own, but I'm hoping you can at least tell me given the information provided / learned that this is a option that may be worth pursing further. I'm looking to start with pump sets and if I feel like they have merit and value, transition to MRs.

Let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you as always for your help and feed back Scott.

Hey Bud!

Thanks for the well-worded post. Smile

I've written about BFR in the book as you know, and it's well documented as a means of producing muscle growth.

Here are some resources you can use to make a call:

Blood flow restriction pressure recommendations: a tale of two cuffs

http://trainology.org/PDF/4%20Methodolog..._14-22.pdf

-----------

302 Found

"Repeated experimentation was required to determine the optimal position of where to apply pressure in order to reduce blood flow to an active muscle. When too much pressure is applied, the skin may turn pale, and if exercise is continued while too much pressure is being applied, thrombosis may occur. It is quite difficult to reduce blood flow by the appropriate amount in order to achieve beneficial effects. It is important to remember that this technique should not be tried without thorough knowledge of how to correctly apply the KAATSU Training protocol because too much pressure may be deleterious."

--------------

302 Found

-S
-Scott

(06-14-2016, 02:18 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

Thanks for the well-worded post. Smile

I've written about BFR in the book as you know, and it's well documented as a means of producing muscle growth.

Here are some resources you can use to make a call:

Blood flow restriction pressure recommendations: a tale of two cuffs

http://trainology.org/PDF/4%20Methodolog..._14-22.pdf

-----------

302 Found

"Repeated experimentation was required to determine the optimal position of where to apply pressure in order to reduce blood flow to an active muscle. When too much pressure is applied, the skin may turn pale, and if exercise is continued while too much pressure is being applied, thrombosis may occur. It is quite difficult to reduce blood flow by the appropriate amount in order to achieve beneficial effects. It is important to remember that this technique should not be tried without thorough knowledge of how to correctly apply the KAATSU Training protocol because too much pressure may be deleterious."

--------------

302 Found

-S

Thanks Scott, a lot of great info here. The cuff width was something I was not aware of, but thinking about it makes a LOT of sense. With most of the research showing that going "hardcore" with it really doesn't do anything but make it more painful (or dangerous).

One thing I stumbled onto though while reading. So much of BFR training is <50% 1-RM. A MR is obviously going to be higher than 50% (though technically it could be, if you just wanted to take the last past 4 to failure). From my personal understanding of the reading, BFR training has been done up to 80%. But the research shows that basically you got nothing additional for going heavier (well some research showed a greater increase in strength), and that it may not work as well, since venous outflow is enhanced, which basically limits how effective BFR is.

So really, it seems to make the most sense to either use it exclusively on pump sets, or on MRs where you are using a very light load (which maybe does not make sense at all). I'm not exactly 100% convinced it has merit in a MR. As always you have me thinking Scott. Let me know if my thinking is flawed here. (or if you'd rather not comment, that's fine too)

(06-14-2016, 03:57 AM)Altamir Wrote: Thanks Scott, a lot of great info here. The cuff width was something I was not aware of, but thinking about it makes a LOT of sense. With most of the research showing that going "hardcore" with it really doesn't do anything but make it more painful (or dangerous).

One thing I stumbled onto though while reading. So much of BFR training is <50% 1-RM. A MR is obviously going to be higher than 50% (though technically it could be, if you just wanted to take the last past 4 to failure). From my personal understanding of the reading, BFR training has been done up to 80%. But the research shows that basically you got nothing additional for going heavier (well some research showed a greater increase in strength), and that it may not work as well, since venous outflow is enhanced, which basically limits how effective BFR is.

So really, it seems to make the most sense to either use it exclusively on pump sets, or on MRs where you are using a very light load (which maybe does not make sense at all). I'm not exactly 100% convinced it has merit in a MR. As always you have me thinking Scott. Let me know if my thinking is flawed here. (or if you'd rather not comment, that's fine too)

I'm going to leave this one be right now but will have more to say in the future. Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

Great, as always looking forward to your reply. Thanks as always Scott.
Hi guys,

Before my question here's a quick recap of the situation :

I just finished a 19th weeks prep for three BB shows 4 weeks ago.

I am currently in the reverse diet phase. During the cutting process I wasn't doing FT but a more typical split.

Now I'm back at it (I was looking forward to it Cool).

At the end of the prep I was on 1 300 cals / day.

Now on training days I'm around 2 300 cals (310 C / 150 P / 45 F) and I gained just around 3.5 / 4 lbs.

The FT program has gave my metabolism a HHHUUUGGGE boost, so big that it's very hard to stay on my planned macros (I was planning on adding 20 / 30g carbs per week).

I'm always hungry, don't know how to explain, it's like my body's racing
This period is almost harder than prep.

Here's my question (finally biggrin ) :

If the program has speed up my metabolism, should I use this as an opportunity to shovel a maximum of food / calories and hope to put on muscle, regardless the slow calories upgrade that I planned ?

Or should I restrain myself and stick to the plan?

Thanks Peace