Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(04-07-2017, 12:04 AM)phoebeusfenix Wrote: Just IMO - I much prefer rack deads as MR's compared to loading. That small gap to regrip helps me a ton. I think(and I could be wrong) that the type of set(loading, mr, pump) is your call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input, its a new exercise for me and I've really been enjoying doing MR's with it. I just thought I saw somewhere Scott recommending against it for MR's.
(04-07-2017, 12:10 AM)732mikee Wrote: Thanks for the input, its a new exercise for me and I've really been enjoying doing MR's with it. I just thought I saw somewhere Scott recommending against it for MR's.

Well shoot I missed that! I know he discourages things like B.B. Squats for mr for the sake of safety( racking and unracking as you get fatigued)..hadn't seen anything about rack deads.

He has certainly mentioned it somewhere that he does not recommend deads/rack deads as an MR. I did them a few times. The only thing that felt more "unsafe" to me was the one stupid time I did BB squats as a MR. To me its a cost versus reward ratio. And if you want to be lifting with any amount of intensity with any amount of decent weight, it's going to get ugly quick. To each their own, but there is for sure a place for them in FT, for me it's not MRs. I like all my disks in my spine where they currently are.

For whatever reason, SLDL seem so much "safer" for a MR (even though they are friggen brutal) I'm guessing the motion and the load make them significantly safer.
(04-07-2017, 12:57 AM)Altamir Wrote: He has certainly mentioned it somewhere that he does not recommend deads/rack deads as an MR. I did them a few times. The only thing that felt more "unsafe" to me was the one stupid time I did BB squats as a MR. To me its a cost versus reward ratio. And if you want to be lifting with any amount of intensity with any amount of decent weight, it's going to get ugly quick. To each their own, but there is for sure a place for them in FT, for me it's not MRs. I like all my disks in my spine where they currently are.

For whatever reason, SLDL seem so much "safer" for a MR (even though they are friggen brutal) I'm guessing the motion and the load make them significantly safer.

You're such a know it all. Just kidding! Much appreciated. Learning something new all the time.

(04-07-2017, 01:11 AM)phoebeusfenix Wrote: You're such a know it all. Just kidding! Much appreciated. Learning something new all the time.

I know, what a jerk I am Wink and no problem.

I'll also add, who's to say who's to do what. If you can feel you can do the move safely and the risk versus reward ratio seems good. That's your call! Jen I think did BB squats as a MR fairly consistently til she had knee issues (which I am pretty sure were unrelated). and always said they were awesome. I did them once and was pretty sure I was going to injure myself BADLY at anytime. Wink
(04-06-2017, 11:56 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: No problem!

Sure!

Yes, as others have suggested, I would mix up your protein sources. You probably have noticed if you've been doing this for a bit that your clotting time is reduced. I bleed REALLY easily if I eat too much salmon.

Sure!

I'd check out page 40 onward of the book. (There's more than one stretch type. Smile )

-S
Woah that actually puts together another piece of the puzzle.

I ran bloodwork midblast while on super supplements, and was shocked to see my Hematocrit at 48, far lower than it should be considering the supplements I was using were known for polycythemia. I dug more into it, and saw the relationship of elevated estrogen and it's effects of putting the brakes on polycythemia. The thing was, while my estrogen was a bit raised, it was still in balance with my testosterone and I wasn't experiencing issues.

Eating 2+ pounds of salmon a day for months on end makes more sense, maybe this is a better explanation. And I chalked it up to good genetics [emoji20] [emoji6]

What do you think?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
(04-07-2017, 02:58 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Woah that actually puts together another piece of the puzzle.

I ran bloodwork midblast while on super supplements, and was shocked to see my Hematocrit at 48, far lower than it should be considering the supplements I was using were known for polycythemia. I dug more into it, and saw the relationship of elevated estrogen and it's effects of putting the brakes on polycythemia. The thing was, while my estrogen was a bit raised, it was still in balance with my testosterone and I wasn't experiencing issues.

Eating 2+ pounds of salmon a day for months on end makes more sense, maybe this is a better explanation. And I chalked it up to good genetics [emoji20] [emoji6]

What do you think?

I would say it would help. But if u were running high for very long u could be one of the lucky ones with great genetics! Especially if ur pushing 40. Nice man

(04-06-2017, 11:55 PM)732mikee Wrote: Hi Scott, Should I not be doing rack deads (below knee height) for MR's? I've done them a few times and like them, so are they better suited as a loading set? Thanks

Yes, I'm not a fan of rack deads for a Muscle Round simply from the practical reason that the exercise tends to cause lower back fatigue and then, when one is really pulling to a true failure point on that exercise, there is a high risk of injury if one less the low back "round."

This is just what tends to happen when doing higher rep range rack deads. When doing a straight set, before one gets terribly winded (getting close to "gassing out"), one can keep focus but the risk / reward (as Altamir noted) is just too high for this one, IMO, especially when trying to push the limits progressively overloading here.

Stiff-legged DL's don't have quite the systemic effect here and aren't really a compound movement in the sense that the torque is essentially only intended to be produced about a the hip joint. This one (whatever variation, BB or DB, call it SLDL or Romanian DL) - when actually doing them in the gym - is a relatively safer bet.

If going to a safe but deep range of motion, SLDLs can really be done such that the hamstrings (and glutes of course) are the weak link if form is strict, whereas rack deads load so much more low back (spinal erectors), and are driven buy the legs, too, meaning greater loads, that the low back can easily "give out" for many folks.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-07-2017, 10:11 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, I'm not a fan of rack deads for a Muscle Round simply from the practical reason that the exercise tends to cause lower back fatigue and then, when one is really pulling to a true failure point on that exercise, there is a high risk of injury if one less the low back "round."

This is just what tends to happen when doing higher rep range rack deads. When doing a straight set, before one gets terribly winded (getting close to "gassing out"), one can keep focus but the risk / reward (as Altamir noted) is just too high for this one, IMO, especially when trying to push the limits progressively overloading here.

Stiff-legged DL's don't have quite the systemic effect here and aren't really a compound movement in the sense that the torque is essentially only intended to be produced about a the hip joint. This one (whatever variation, BB or DB, call it SLDL or Romanian DL) - when actually doing them in the gym - is a relatively safer bet.

If going to a safe but deep range of motion, SLDLs can really be done such that the hamstrings (and glutes of course) are the weak link if form is strict, whereas rack deads load so much more low back (spinal erectors), and are driven buy the legs, too, meaning greater loads, that the low back can easily "give out" for many folks.

-S

Thanks for the detailed reply Scott. I haven't felt the risk/reward factor come up yet, but I'm new to doing these and the weight is still low. I would imagine this would come up as the weight goes up. I will put these into my loading rotation instead. I had a disc issue / sciatica years ago and need to keep the rest of my discs in place. Confused

I've used SLDL as a MR and they feel great aside from taking more time to recover after doing them.
(04-07-2017, 02:58 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Woah that actually puts together another piece of the puzzle.

What do you think?

Are you asking if the salmon intake may have kept polycythemia at bay?... The omega-3's could be part of a plan to lower clotting risk, but I don't know if they would reduce HCT per se...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.