Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(05-18-2018, 11:43 PM)Stewilliams Wrote: Thanks for the reply Scott!

The overall goal of the set is to maximise metabolic stress which is why I move on to the isolation exercise as fatigue begins to set in. I keep the eccentric as slow and controlled as possible so as to keep tension on target muscle. Rep range for the close grip bench press was 15 reps, could have performed 18-20 before form slipped but didn't want pushdowns to be a throw away exercise. RDL's I got 12 before speed dropped so moved onto leg curls. Both exercises were performed with just one plate a side.

I do struggle to properly execute both exercises under heavier loads which is why I tried this strategy so as to "practice" the movement under lighter loads. I find using them in the pump sets I'm able to reinforce better form and mind muscle connection, but the isolation exercises lend themselves better to maximising metabolic stress (at this moment in time).

I have reinforced a poor close grip bench press by being quite a wide bench presser in the past which has definitely contributed to lagging triceps in comparison to anterior deltoid and pecs. I tore part of my biceps femoris on a SLDL in the past so have neglected RDL's since (probably out of subconscious fear). Interestingly though I am not a particularly weak deadlifter (230kg for 6) or bench presser (157.5kg max). I just need to improve my mechanics and mind muscle connection of CGBP and RDL's.

No problem!!!

Why do you have the sense that it would benefit you to be able to do CG Bench presses and RDL's in particular?...

These are great mass builders for many, but maybe they're just not the best ones for you?... Or do you have the sense there's some untapped potential in those exercises to elicit growth?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(05-22-2018, 12:11 AM)patjohnhyde Wrote: Hi Scott,

What do you think of mechanical dropsets for the pump set portion of FT?

For example for chest I’ve been doing

Db fly into DB hex press into DB press, no rest in between, aiming for 10 reps each exercise to total 30 reps

Does this fit the bill of what pump sets are supposed to be in FT ?

I’ve previously been doing 5’s in the hole, 21’s etc. But just to try something different and get a nice pump I’ve heen doing the mechanical dropsets and they’re a lot of fun

Thanks !

Yes, I like it (!!!!!) and actually filmed a mechanical dropset on IG - check the discussion here to see how this (with a lighter load) could be used for a Pump set:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHj1DalHrh/...e_training

You'll just want to be careful with your auto regulation / use of those b/c doing something like that -where you can maintain continuous tension of course - is going to be substantially more stress than a simple straight set. Your'e basically stringing together what is appproachig failure on each of the three mechanical variations of the exercise, so you're really extending the set quite a bit.

This is a great one for using pump sets to bring up weak muscle groups. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Quick question for people who transferred from a lower volume, high intensity program such as DC to FT. Did you see a weight stall/loss after a week or two of FT using the same calorie surplus as your previous routine? If so, roughly how many calories did you increase by per week to start seeing weight gain again?

With DC training (At a hobbit like 5'5) I was using 2,900 on rest days and 3,000-3,100 on training days, depending on appetite and if it was a week day or weekend (i train late on week days and only have time for 2 meals post workout so calories were usually 3k where as on weekends usually 3.1k) .

I was going to increase my calories to 3,200 on training days which would be a net increase of between 400-800 per week. Does this seem in line with the kind of increase you guys made to start seeing weight gain?

Many thanks.
Hard to say exactly what I needed when anyone switches from one program to another. but I noticed a significant increase in calories needed when I started FT. IMO I would start the program first, and see what happens versus trying to predict what will happen. What you are suggesting seems reasonable and a good starting point, you can always bump things up again if the scale doesn't move or starts back sliding. You calories are pretty close together from training to non-training. So I personally think you have a lot of headroom to bump up your training day (peri and post) calories a few times before maxing that window out.
(06-26-2018, 08:59 PM)hicksy_ian Wrote: Quick question for people who transferred from a lower volume, high intensity program such as DC to FT. Did you see a weight stall/loss after a week or two of FT using the same calorie surplus as your previous routine? If so, roughly how many calories did you increase by per week to start seeing weight gain again?

With DC training (At a hobbit like 5'5) I was using 2,900 on rest days and 3,000-3,100 on training days, depending on appetite and if it was a week day or weekend (i train late on week days and only have time for 2 meals post workout so calories were usually 3k where as on weekends usually 3.1k) .

I was going to increase my calories to 3,200 on training days which would be a net increase of between 400-800 per week. Does this seem in line with the kind of increase you guys made to start seeing weight gain?

Many thanks.

As Altamir noted, it'll be easiest and make the most sense to increase kcal on as as needed basis (and you likely will need more food). This is the same principle as you're using now, as you're eating now based on your caloric needs to keep your weight moving forward, so you'll just have to adjust accordingly. (Also, the volume Tier you're using will make a difference of course. I'm guessing it will be more like 400kcal / training day...)

You might find this interesting: http://www.elitefts.com/education/traini...-fits-one/

-S
-Scott

FT and Kroc Rows (KR) ?

Hello Scott I would like to ask you a question

do you see any place in FT for Kroc Rows ?

long time ago (before me finding FT Smile) I used to love that exercise and had good results with it

now (since I have limited options for the back workouts) I am thinking
is there a way to incorporate KR into FT ?

Pump sets - not so much - too demanding I guess ...
MR - a little different idea - but maybe... ?
LS - would love to put in here but not sure ... (progression rather with reps later with weights and different rep range...)

here are some links about KR
https://www.t-nation.com/training/kroc-rows-101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6T5n79Srpk

thanks for your input Smile
(07-24-2018, 06:52 PM)zmt Wrote: FT and Kroc Rows (KR) ?

Hello Scott I would like to ask you a question

do you see any place in FT for Kroc Rows ?

long time ago (before me finding FT Smile) I used to love that exercise and had good results with it

now (since I have limited options for the back workouts) I am thinking
is there a way to incorporate KR into FT ?

Pump sets - not so much - too demanding I guess ...
MR - a little different idea - but maybe... ?
LS - would love to put in here but not sure ... (progression rather with reps later with weights and different rep range...)

here are some links about KR
https://www.t-nation.com/training/kroc-rows-101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6T5n79Srpk

thanks for your input Smile

If an exercise works that well for you, it'd be a damn shame not to use it!

I think you could use them for MR's for sure (DB Rows are brutal for MRs) and I see no huge issue with doing them as a Loading Set. It will just make for a bit of a different rest interval for one side vs. the other, but you'd still use the same rule that the rest interval start when you're actually at the next exercise and truly resting (not walking there, not changing weights, etc.)

For Loading sets, I'd hit the side which is weaker / smaller (first), if there is one, so you're not at all gassed when you start the set for that side.

And, you could def. do them for a pump set - just keep the reps continuous. They are a bit ballistic (how I think Janae intends them to be done), so you could slow these down a bit and really make them into a regular DB row for pump sets, but I think the nature of what your'e wanting from this exercise comes from the activation pattern that's brought about from just going to f*$@ing town on the exercise. (So, yes, this exercise is a pretty neurologically demanding, so it wouldn't be my first choice for a pump set.) Instead, I'd probably do a DB row lying face down on an incline bench, which makes for a super strict movement. (This is one is also nice in that you have a bench and are near the DB's and can superset the DB rows with a DB fly / press Pump set... Smile )

GREAT QUESTION!!!

-S

P.S. As an addendum - if someone's got a technique, exercise, etc. that works / has worked really well for them, I'm ALL for making use of that strategy if at all possible, even if that means breaking a "rule" of FT. The more important rule is figuring out what works! Smile
-Scott

Hi Scott, is it alright to use the same exercises for Loading, MRs and Pump?
(07-24-2018, 11:52 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: If an exercise works that well for you, it'd be a damn shame not to use it!

I think you could use them for MR's for sure (DB Rows are brutal for MRs) and I see no huge issue with doing them as a Loading Set. It will just make for a bit of a different rest interval for one side vs. the other, but you'd still use the same rule that the rest interval start when you're actually at the next exercise and truly resting (not walking there, not changing weights, etc.)

For Loading sets, I'd hit the side which is weaker / smaller (first), if there is one, so you're not at all gassed when you start the set for that side.

And, you could def. do them for a pump set - just keep the reps continuous. They are a bit ballistic (how I think Janae intends them to be done), so you could slow these down a bit and really make them into a regular DB row for pump sets, but I think the nature of what your'e wanting from this exercise comes from the activation pattern that's brought about from just going to f*$@ing town on the exercise. (So, yes, this exercise is a pretty neurologically demanding, so it wouldn't be my first choice for a pump set.) Instead, I'd probably do a DB row lying face down on an incline bench, which makes for a super strict movement. (This is one is also nice in that you have a bench and are near the DB's and can superset the DB rows with a DB fly / press Pump set... Smile )

GREAT QUESTION!!!

-S

P.S. As an addendum - if someone's got a technique, exercise, etc. that works / has worked really well for them, I'm ALL for making use of that strategy if at all possible, even if that means breaking a "rule" of FT. The more important rule is figuring out what works! Smile

Thank you Scott for full answer
will try to use it Smile
(07-25-2018, 01:56 PM)d2r2ddd Wrote: Hi Scott, is it alright to use the same exercises for Loading, MRs and Pump?

That would miss out on the importance of variety in training and would likely lead to overuse / repetitive movement injuries (aches n' pains / niggles) and would also likely mean you're using exercises that don't lend themselves well to those set types.

Take BB squats: Not a good choice for MR's b/c you'll be risking injury trying re-rack and unrack in a fatigued state and you'll could end up terminating the set if you were to use it for pump sets b/c of low back fatigue. Squatting for Loading sets, MR and Pump sets over the course of the week would likely wreck your low back and make doing any kind of deadlift variation (safely AND effectively for the lats) a no-go. Plus, the CNS stress of doing so would probably mean you terminate your Progressive Blast earlier than necessary. The variety serves to create different activation patterns, work around injuries and auto-regulate to keep you from prematurely needing a deload, so you'd be shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun if you tried this, IMO.

[Note, it's possible of course set up a program where you train a single exercise several times / week for several weeks in a row. You really didn't outline at all any specifics of your question, so I answered it generically. My guess is - this is a bit of tough love here - that a kind of "generic" question like this tells me you've not really dug in deep on the e-book, reading the forums here, or thinking about how you plan on executing FT. I'm also guessing you've not actually done FT (for very long) or you'd probably be thinking, "HELL, NO!!!" when it comes to that question. The variety and self-selection of exercises is, IMO, an important part of a high frequency program. Smile ]

-S
-Scott