Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Hi Scott, thank you for the answer.

The new gym has only 1 lat pull down machine, maybe I'll just have to play with different grip width for different phase.
(07-24-2018, 11:52 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: If an exercise works that well for you, it'd be a damn shame not to use it!

I think you could use them for MR's for sure (DB Rows are brutal for MRs) and I see no huge issue with doing them as a Loading Set. It will just make for a bit of a different rest interval for one side vs. the other, but you'd still use the same rule that the rest interval start when you're actually at the next exercise and truly resting (not walking there, not changing weights, etc.)

I have done it yesterday during MR
switching hands between every MR
27,5 kg 5MR x 4 reps and final set to failure 17 reps

it looks to me some kind of hybrid not purely MR

is it OK ? Smile
(07-26-2018, 01:09 AM)d2r2ddd Wrote: Hi Scott, thank you for the answer.

The new gym has only 1 lat pull down machine, maybe I'll just have to play with different grip width for different phase.

Sure!

Yes, and if you can do them without feeling awkward, evoking any pain, etc. you've behind the neck pulldowns. (These can be OK for a Pump set, e.g., with 5's into the Hole.)

You can also get some resistance bands and use those to deload during pull-ups and chins, too. (Add a band if you need to drop down during a Muscle round.)

Plus, you've got rack chins, camelback rows, cross-cable pulldown, etc.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-26-2018, 08:24 PM)zmt Wrote: I have done it yesterday during MR
switching hands between every MR
27,5 kg 5MR x 4 reps and final set to failure 17 reps

it looks to me some kind of hybrid not purely MR

is it OK ? Smile

You just went to light for a FT MR, I think. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Dr Scott,

I'm a couple of days into my first blast of FT training. I think I have ready your ebook twice already and every page of this forum!!! My wife is sick of hearing about FT! I have a question on your loading sets/zig zag sets. On tiers 2 and 3 you prescribe doing the first loading set of the compound movement a rep or two short of failure, doing an isolation movement to failure, and then doing the compound movement with less weight than the first set to failure. Am I reading this correctly? What is the reason you prescribe doing the first compound movement set short of failure? To necessitate a lighter load on the failure set? Part of ensuring you are warmed up for the failure set?

Thank you again for a great product, great forums, and great content!

Carl
(07-27-2018, 04:01 AM)ctascajr Wrote: Dr Scott,

I'm a couple of days into my first blast of FT training. I think I have ready your ebook twice already and every page of this forum!!! My wife is sick of hearing about FT! I have a question on your loading sets/zig zag sets. On tiers 2 and 3 you prescribe doing the first loading set of the compound movement a rep or two short of failure, doing an isolation movement to failure, and then doing the compound movement with less weight than the first set to failure. Am I reading this correctly? What is the reason you prescribe doing the first compound movement set short of failure? To necessitate a lighter load on the failure set? Part of ensuring you are warmed up for the failure set?

Thank you again for a great product, great forums, and great content!

Carl

Hey Carl!

Hopefully, other than the incessant FT ramblings, you've built a good buffer with your wife and divorce isn't imminent! Smile

Few reasons for stopping short of failure, but the main one is to avoid the impact on the CNS that comes with a true failure set. This alliows a greater accumulation of training volume and muscle stimulation without as much CNS "inroad."

Practically speaking, you're also not left with a bar / machine that needs to be lifted back to starting position. This would create a big PITA and screw up rest intervals pretty substantially if someone didn't have a partner (to assist with re-racking, etc.)

The load for the 2nd (or 3rd thigh Loading set on Tier III) needn't necessarily be lighter, but if that's the case, it makes for a safer situation for taking a set to failure. (You're def. warmed up!) However, someone might literally choose loads such that they are near the top of the rep range (e.g., getting 10-12 reps leaving 1-2 reps in reserve) and then come back to using the same load for the next compound / failure set, getting fewer reps, in almost all cases, but still staying in the 6-12 range.

Setting the load for the first compound loading set a bit lighter (higher in the rep range) is something I will often do, staying way from 6-8 reps sets when 100% fresh for some exercises, simply for skeletal health. So if I get, let's say, 10 reps on the first compound set (1-2 RIR), I'll then set a goal in my mind to match that on the failure set, as a kind of dangling carrot. It's pretty damn rare that that happens, so it seems to be a nice sweet spot for creating an internal rep goal to use as motivation to push to true failure in that last set. Smile

-S
-Scott

Hey Scott!

Quick questions (sorry if they were answered here and/or addressed in the book and I just missed them):

1. For Upper body focus MRs, when sets for back are 1-2 (T&W), should it generally be 3 total for back? Or is 1-2 for each ok, and 4 total would also be ok pending how the set went/as needed (you indicated), etc.

2. For Upper body focus MRs, not sure if it got cut off, but what does "tris a/o" mean? As well as "thighs (H" and "calfs a/o"?

Thanks!
-Greg
Also, small misc questions:

1. Can rack/floor DL be programmed for loading?

2. Are the recommended stretches suggested to be preformed after each group every time? Or in just specific instances?

Hey Bud!

(07-28-2018, 01:51 AM)gregzee123 Wrote: Hey Scott!

Quick questions (sorry if they were answered here and/or addressed in the book and I just missed them):

1. For Upper body focus MRs, when sets for back are 1-2 (T&W), should it generally be 3 total for back? Or is 1-2 for each ok, and 4 total would also be ok pending how the set went/as needed (you indicated), etc.

Autoregulate your volume

Focus exercise selection bring up weaknesses.

IF thickness is lacking, you might do 2MR there and only 1 for Width. On a day you've just annihilated back thickness the previous workout (and sore), you might do 2MR for width and 1 for thickness.

Quote:2. For Upper body focus MRs, not sure if it got cut off, but what does "tris a/o" mean? As well as "thighs (H" and "calfs a/o"?

Thanks!
-Greg

You're probably looking at the .pdf on you phone, which will scrunch the view for some reason.

Tris a/o Bis means Triceps and/or Biceps.

Calves a/o Add. means Calves and/or Adductors

(See the legend at the Bottom of the Overview sheet.)

-S
-Scott

(07-28-2018, 02:33 AM)gregzee123 Wrote: Also, small misc questions:

1. Can rack/floor DL be programmed for loading?

2. Are the recommended stretches suggested to be preformed after each group every time? Or in just specific instances?

Now these I've answered a few times. Smile Smile Smile

Yes, you can use deadlifts and rack deads. (Search the site and you'll see this one addressed.)

----

Yes, you would pick a stretch to do after each time you've finished training a muscle (group) on each day after each set up, after you've done all the sets for that muscle group. For pump sets, you'd stretch after you've' finished the superset for diff. muscle group. No cheating and using a time dilation machine to somehow fit a stretch in between super-seated exercises. Finish the supersets first and then stretch the muscles that were just trained in those superseded Pump sets. Smile

-S
-Scott