Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Scott,

I apologize in advance if you've answered this question many times in the past, but I'm wondering about the muscle groups written in your program.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the distinction between "thigh" exercises and "quad" exercises. In the past, many people believed that the squat was a great exercise for working the entire thigh, but recent EMG studies are suggesting that the squat is primarily a quad exercise with glute assistance and almost no hamstring involvement. As for exercises that actually do hit both the quads and hamstrings well, I can't really think of that much other than leg presses (using a high foot placement) and maybe sumo deadlifts.

The reason I'm asking is that if I choose squat variations as my thigh exercise and then isolate quads as well, it seems like I'll end up with a LOT more quad work than hamstring work on this program. For example, volume tier 2's loading day says to do two thigh exercises, one quad exercise, and one hamstring exercise. But with squat as your thigh movement, that ends up being more like 3 quad exercises and 1 hamstring exercise (or maybe 1.5 at best). What are your thoughts on this?

Maybe just using a hamstring dominant thigh movement like a deadlift in your exercise rotation would be enough to balance this?

Thanks,

Dan
(04-29-2019, 10:44 PM)almo19 Wrote: Yes you got the shift pattern correct bang on we work 4 on 4 off,

Monday day shift
Tuesday day shift
Wednesday night shift
Thursday night shift
Friday off
Saturday off
Sunday off
Monday off

Start all again Tuesday the next week and so on.

I can do Fortitude training every day of the week apart from Saturdays as I play Cricket.

And what about Saturdays when you're working?...

Quote: So i cannot train on a Saturday at all any week, every other day I am ok to train hope that makes sense.

I think it does and if you're really trying to make the most of FT, this will create a complexity, as it will cut into your recovery. (I'm presuming you're playing so hard that training is just not going to be possible.)

Quote: I go to my local spit and sawdust gym that has everything and at work we have a good selection of everything as well so I would be able to train at work and when I'm off with how you have organised Fortitude.
Our station is busy but there is always time to train and get a session in at work.
I no you suggested the family man plan 3 days a week but i would ideally like to do the Basic Tier 1 4 day a week just on week days tho.
Would this work or would you structure it differently.

Mon lower muscle round
Tue upper loading lower pump
Wednesday off
Thursday upper muscle round
Friday lower loading upper pump
Saturday off
Sunday off

Hope all this makes sense I'm so excited to start training again properly, as my youngest starts school tomorrow so I'm back to hitting everything Fortitude has for me I cant wait to get stuck in, I will just follow your advice as how you think best to structure the sessions into my week Cheers Alex.

You don't have a set weekly schedule (the week lasts 7 days, but you're on an 8 day rotation), so it would make sense to train using an 8 day rotation, so you can come back to loading sets using the same exercises (at the same gym) over time.

My advice is to create a FT inspired program based on your 8 day schedule:

I'd do Day 1 and 2 during your 4 days off work (Loading / Pump)

and Day 3 and 4 (MRs) when at work.

Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-30-2019, 04:43 AM)weightsandplates Wrote: Scott,

I apologize in advance if you've answered this question many times in the past, but I'm wondering about the muscle groups written in your program.

Specifically, I'm wondering about the distinction between "thigh" exercises and "quad" exercises. In the past, many people believed that the squat was a great exercise for working the entire thigh, but recent EMG studies are suggesting that the squat is primarily a quad exercise with glute assistance and almost no hamstring involvement. As for exercises that actually do hit both the quads and hamstrings well, I can't really think of that much other than leg presses (using a high foot placement) and maybe sumo deadlifts.

I haven't based my definition of "thigh" on the consensus of EMG studies. It's an anatomical distinction based upon the muscles that make up the thigh - simply "thigh" refers to the muscles of the thigh: Knee extensors, knee flexors, add and abductors and the glutei are generally included there b/c they are hit in these compound movements.

Change bar position on a squat or ask different people and you'll find the hamstring activation varies greatly. Smile

Quote:The reason I'm asking is that if I choose squat variations as my thigh exercise and then isolate quads as well, it seems like I'll end up with a LOT more quad work than hamstring work on this program. For example, volume tier 2's loading day says to do two thigh exercises, one quad exercise, and one hamstring exercise. But with squat as your thigh movement, that ends up being more like 3 quad exercises and 1 hamstring exercise (or maybe 1.5 at best). What are your thoughts on this?

Simply pick compound exercises for the thigh that suit your needs and perform them with the bar / foot placement to balance the activation over the thigh musculature in the way you desire.

Seems to me as if you're placing EMG studies before your own personal experience or simply know how in exercise selection and variation to create the stimulus you like.

You can also pre-fatigue the hamstrings by doing that loading set isolation exercise first. Do a hamstring curl, and use a low bar squat or a high / wide stance leg press (ham presses) for your loading sets and I suspect you'll get plenty of ham stimulus. Smile

Quote:Maybe just using a hamstring dominant thigh movement like a deadlift in your exercise rotation would be enough to balance this?

Thanks,

Dan

Maybe - that would depend on how you choose all the other exercises in your program, as well as your neurological proclivities for the compound exercises you select.

When I free bar squat, it becomes VERY much a posterior chain exercise for me - I gave it a go for well over a decade and found back squats (barbell) got me great glute and ham development, even if not squatting deep. Smile But, that's just me. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(04-30-2019, 11:32 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: And what about Saturdays when you're working?...

I think it does and if you're really trying to make the most of FT, this will create a complexity, as it will cut into your recovery. (I'm presuming you're playing so hard that training is just not going to be possible.)

You don't have a set weekly schedule (the week lasts 7 days, but you're on an 8 day rotation), so it would make sense to train using an 8 day rotation, so you can come back to loading sets using the same exercises (at the same gym) over time.

My advice is to create a FT inspired program based on your 8 day schedule:

I'd do Day 1 and 2 during your 4 days off work (Loading / Pump)

and Day 3 and 4 (MRs) when at work.

Smile

-S

Thanks Scott appreciate all you time with this I cant wait you have been fantastic help.

(05-01-2019, 12:56 AM)almo19 Wrote: Thanks Scott appreciate all you time with this I cant wait you have been fantastic help.

Awesome! Sounds like you've got a plan! (You're welcome!)

-S
-Scott

(05-02-2019, 12:23 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Awesome! Sounds like you've got a plan! (You're welcome!)

-S

Yes well into it now cheers Scott.

I've followed everything you recommend to me Doing Tier 1 with Loading days when I'm off and Muscle rounds at work and never training more than 2 days on the spin.
Like everyone says Tier 1 looks easy on paper but till you do it you will never know, I cant see myself going past Basic Tier 2 for a while which is what I did this week.

Just on another topic hope you have 2 mins spare to answer.
I understand the Cruise element and have got my head around that but my question is,
We come to Florida for a family holiday in June for 4 weeks I will have time on my hands to train just not at a gym,I have lots of quality resistance bands I can take with me and also my BFR straps I want to continue training while I'm away as 4 weeks is a long time off, how would you go about structuring something for the 4 weeks to continue my muscle gain or at least not lose any size.
Cheers Alex

(05-04-2019, 05:59 AM)almo19 Wrote: Yes well into it now cheers Scott.

I've followed everything you recommend to me Doing Tier 1 with Loading days when I'm off and Muscle rounds at work and never training more than 2 days on the spin.
Like everyone says Tier 1 looks easy on paper but till you do it you will never know, I cant see myself going past Basic Tier 2 for a while which is what I did this week.

Just on another topic hope you have 2 mins spare to answer.
I understand the Cruise element and have got my head around that but my question is,
We come to Florida for a family holiday in June for 4 weeks I will have time on my hands to train just not at a gym,I have lots of quality resistance bands I can take with me and also my BFR straps I want to continue training while I'm away as 4 weeks is a long time off, how would you go about structuring something for the 4 weeks to continue my muscle gain or at least not lose any size.
Cheers Alex

Hey Bud,

Frankly, I'd find a way to get to the gym, TBH. I live in Florida and can't think if anywhere you'd be where there wouldn't be a gym within an hour, assuming you have a car. (I've trained in all 4 corners of the state, mid-state, in the Keys, etc.) You could train 2x / week doing a full body workout each time.

Otherwise, you'd asking me to put together a personalized band / BFR style program for you, which frankly, I'm thinking you probably would not end up following if you're not motivated enough to get to the gym. (It would be much more than a 2 min answer you're asking for here, but I'm sure you can find some band-based workouts online / on youtube.)

So that's some tough love there, man. Also, there's nothing "wrong" with just taking a no-training vacation if that's what you want to do and it fits within your bodybuilding-related goals. Smile

-S
-Scott

(05-05-2019, 12:44 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud,

Frankly, I'd find a way to get to the gym, TBH. I live in Florida and can't think if anywhere you'd be where there wouldn't be a gym within an hour, assuming you have a car. (I've trained in all 4 corners of the state, mid-state, in the Keys, etc.) You could train 2x / week doing a full body workout each time.

Otherwise, you'd asking me to put together a personalized band / BFR style program for you, which frankly, I'm thinking you probably would not end up following if you're not motivated enough to get to the gym. (It would be much more than a 2 min answer you're asking for here, but I'm sure you can find some band-based workouts online / on youtube.)

So that's some tough love there, man. Also, there's nothing "wrong" with just taking a no-training vacation if that's what you want to do and it fits within your bodybuilding-related goals. Smile

-S

Cheers for the reply Scott I'm with the family and 2 young boys in Florida (Disneyland) looks like it will be a non training vacation as far as a gym.
Always look forward to reading your replys cheers Alex, at least I got another 3 weeks of Fortitude training I love it.

Hi, I may have missed if this question. Had been asked but on pump sets do u rest 60secs between each exercise or after doing chest and back one straight after the other?
(05-31-2019, 07:33 AM)simplesi Wrote: Hi, I may have missed if this question. Had been asked but on pump sets do u rest 60secs between each exercise or after doing chest and back one straight after the other?

See page 89 onward in the book. Smile

-S
-Scott