Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscle Round dumb question
Hello guys, I have a doubt that has haunted me for a long time about MR.

Usually, starting with the first blast, I try to be conservative with the weight used for MRs. Then continuing from week to week and from month to month with the progressive overload I find myself failing no longer in the last set, instead I got my failure poin gradually in the previous series (obviously never before the fourth set).

I'm doing it wrong?
Is it better to try to keep the failure point in the very last set?

Sorry for my bad English Undecided
How do you know how much to increase the load each time you come back to and log the same exercise for MRs?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
It depend on how much margin I have. if I fail in the sixth set I can increase more load, if I fail in the fifth increase less load, if I fail in the fourth I usually try to increase the reps or increase even less load (this usually happens late in the blast/cruise cycle).
(08-28-2019, 10:44 PM)carnera Wrote: It depend on how much margin I have. if I fail in the sixth set I can increase more load, if I fail in the fifth increase less load, if I fail in the fourth I usually try to increase the reps or increase even less load (this usually happens late in the blast/cruise cycle).

You said, "Then continuing from week to week and from month to month with the progressive overload I find myself failing no longer in the last set, instead I got my failure poin gradually in the previous series (obviously never before the fourth set)."

When the above is happening - you're increasing load so much that the failure point occurs progressively earlier and earlier during the MR - how do you decide in this scenario how much to increase the load?...

In other words, what is your strategy here for ensuring progressive overload?...

You've changing the weight so much - each and every time you use a given exercise for a MR - that the reps are continually decreasing, so there's not comparison to see if performance is improving.

Do you ever leave the weight the same, week after week, and attempt to get more reps in the MR before the failure point?...

Do you ever look back at a previously heavy load (fewer reps before failure) with an exercise you've not used in a while and see if your performance is improved?...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
first of all thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
I finally realized that in the MR I only interpreted the increase in load as progressive overload, eliminating an important part of the equation.

increasing only the load by sacrificing the repetitions I didn't have a real performance improvement.
thank you for guiding me to the answer!

I will treasure it for the upcoming blast biggrin
(08-30-2019, 03:55 PM)carnera Wrote: first of all thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
I finally realized that in the MR I only interpreted the increase in load as progressive overload, eliminating an important part of the equation.

increasing only the load by sacrificing the repetitions I didn't have a real performance improvement.
thank you for guiding me to the answer!

I will treasure it for the upcoming blast biggrin

Awesome!

Yes - if you could lift 75lb for 12 reps, 80lb for 10, 85lb fo 6 and 90lb x 3 reps, as an example (for someone with roughly a 100lb 1RM in a compound lift like a squat) and, over time (workouts) you increase the load such that reps are less, but when you go back and "test" yourself with the lighter load, you find there's no increase in reps (performance), then there was really no progressive overload occurring (or at least no adaptation to overload).

-S
-Scott

Yes, I got it now. Thank you so much.

I'm re-reading your last book, for me it's an indispensable source of information!
(09-02-2019, 11:31 PM)carnera Wrote: Yes, I got it now. Thank you so much.

I'm re-reading your last book, for me it's an indispensable source of information!

You're welcome!

And very glad to hear that. Getting your head wrapped around really pushing progressive overload as a major means of ensuring gains is a giant step forward in doing so. Smile

-S
-Scott