Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knee Injury
Hey Scott,

So I hurt my knee wrestling yesterday Sad

We were doing wrestling drills during BJJ, wrestled with a really good college wrestler. He tripped me, and my knee twisted and I felt a pop. Pain in the side and back of knee. Can't bend it past 90 degrees, but ok to straighten it. And it buckless to the side, doesn't seem very stable.

It did not have any swelling post injury though, and some very minor swelling at the end of the day after limping on it with crutches.

Do you have any experience dealing with knee injuries? Seems like a lateral meniscus tear, but I pray it's not multiple things (ACL, MCL trio). The lack of swelling is the only positive sign right now.

I'm doing an Xray today at the clinic I work at, and will probably go in for a MRI soon afterwards (doubt anything's fractured).

How should I modify my training? Can probably still do all my loading and muscle round sets for upper body. Is it wise to do unilateral movement on the other leg with intensity? (heard about some studies showing the other side had stimulation from this as well).

In rats, can BPC or GH use aid this type of injury pre-surgery?

Appreciate all your thoughts on this. Thank you!
(03-10-2020, 10:35 PM)thethinker48 Wrote: Hey Scott,

So I hurt my knee wrestling yesterday Sad

We were doing wrestling drills during BJJ, wrestled with a really good college wrestler. He tripped me, and my knee twisted and I felt a pop. Pain in the side and back of knee. Can't bend it past 90 degrees, but ok to straighten it. And it buckless to the side, doesn't seem very stable.

It did not have any swelling post injury though, and some very minor swelling at the end of the day after limping on it with crutches.

Do you have any experience dealing with knee injuries? Seems like a lateral meniscus tear, but I pray it's not multiple things (ACL, MCL trio). The lack of swelling is the only positive sign right now.

I'm doing an Xray today at the clinic I work at, and will probably go in for a MRI soon afterwards (doubt anything's fractured).

How should I modify my training? Can probably still do all my loading and muscle round sets for upper body. Is it wise to do unilateral movement on the other leg with intensity? (heard about some studies showing the other side had stimulation from this as well).

In rats, can BPC or GH use aid this type of injury pre-surgery?

Appreciate all your thoughts on this. Thank you!

Hey Bud!

I can't really give you any medical advice, esp,. regarding the use of prescription drugs or research chems, partly b/c I can't (and no one can really) come up with a concrete diagnosis online (nor is it legal to do).

You're definitely on the right track getting it looked at professionally.

As far as training goes, even this is a bit iffy. It's great that there's not swelling - definitely a good sign! - but your injury might require joint fixation or could possibly be exacerbated by trying to get in the gym and go to town doing upper body only or training the contralateral leg. (A cross-training effect does apply, so if you're medically cleared to do so, training the other leg is a great idea.)

So, I'd get a FIRM diagnosis ASAP, see what you're cleared to do and proceed with training as best you can.

As an example, I have a buddy who had a pec tear surgically re-attached and decided against doctors orders to go right into the gym and train the unaffected side. Co-contractions while training the good limb were so strong that he ended up undoing his repair and had to go back in for surgery. The same kind of thing could be possible here...

(Imagine you're doing a lat pulldown and inadvertently use the affected leg to stabilize under the thigh pads and end up making the injury worse... Sad )

If you end up doing very much upper body oriented training, this could bee a good chance to bring up your upper body / weaker muscle groups there, as you'll not be using up recovery resources training legs (as much)...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-11-2020, 12:34 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

I can't really give you any medical advice, esp,. regarding the use of prescription drugs or research chems, partly b/c I can't (and no one can really) come up with a concrete diagnosis online (nor is it legal to do).

You're definitely on the right track getting it looked at professionally.

As far as training goes, even this is a bit iffy. It's great that there's not swelling - definitely a good sign! - but your injury might require joint fixation or could possibly be exacerbated by trying to get in the gym and go to town doing upper body only or training the contralateral leg. (A cross-training effect does apply, so if you're medically cleared to do so, training the other leg is a great idea.)

So, I'd get a FIRM diagnosis ASAP, see what you're cleared to do and proceed with training as best you can.

As an example, I have a buddy who had a pec tear surgically re-attached and decided against doctors orders to go right into the gym and train the unaffected side. Co-contractions while training the good limb were so strong that he ended up undoing his repair and had to go back in for surgery. The same kind of thing could be possible here...

(Imagine you're doing a lat pulldown and inadvertently use the affected leg to stabilize under the thigh pads and end up making the injury worse... Sad )

If you end up doing very much upper body oriented training, this could bee a good chance to bring up your upper body / weaker muscle groups there, as you'll not be using up recovery resources training legs (as much)...

-S

Thank you for all of this!

I think more than anything, the biggest problem being a bodybuilder is that nutty mentality of "keep going" rather than pulling back at certain times. Much better to hear this from someone wiser than myself.

Thanks again Scott!
(03-11-2020, 03:12 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Thank you for all of this!

I think more than anything, the biggest problem being a bodybuilder is that nutty mentality of "keep going" rather than pulling back at certain times. Much better to hear this from someone wiser than myself.

Thanks again Scott!

You're totally welcome! If making a lot of nutty mistakes in the past means "wise," then I'll take it!!! LOL!

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
A little update.

Been a little over 2 weeks since the injury. I got an Xray (which was clear), and got an MRI today. Been rehabbing it slowly, and can straighten it, and bend it to about 90 degrees before tightness and pain.

I think I have a lateral meniscus tear, and an MCL tear looking at the scans; waiting on the radiology report tomorrow. I'm hoping the whole knee is not destroyed.

Leg training is going to be interesting with this coronavirus shut down, no gym access and a bad knee lol

Been doing unilateral stuff on the other leg with bands (bw stuff), and wall sits + rehab for the knee.

I'm going to have chicken legs very soon Smile
(03-27-2020, 11:08 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: A little update.

Been a little over 2 weeks since the injury. I got an Xray (which was clear), and got an MRI today. Been rehabbing it slowly, and can straighten it, and bend it to about 90 degrees before tightness and pain.

I think I have a lateral meniscus tear, and an MCL tear looking at the scans; waiting on the radiology report tomorrow. I'm hoping the whole knee is not destroyed.

Leg training is going to be interesting with this coronavirus shut down, no gym access and a bad knee lol

Been doing unilateral stuff on the other leg with bands (bw stuff), and wall sits + rehab for the knee.

I'm going to have chicken legs very soon Smile

I think there is a good thing with the coronovirus pandemic in there tons of at home workouts getting posted across youtube and social media, so you should have a lot of ideas to play with...

Thanks for the update... Consider this a time to grow a monstrous upper body!!!

-S
-Scott

Got the radiology report today.

Knee's kind of destroyed.

- ACL rupture
-MCL grade 2 sprain
-LCL grade 2 sprain
-Lateral Meniscus tear

Lot of joint effusion too according to the report, probably from the bone contusion in conjunction with the injured ligaments. Indefinite surgery in the future (ortho consult next week), any personal thoughts on this?

The MCL and LCL will probably heal on their own, anything I can do to help expedite the healing process? I'm rehabbing aggressively, any supplement you think can benefit?

I know some of this connective tissue is avascular so supplements aren't doing much lol

I'm avoiding any frankenstein like protocols us guys like doing on ourselves to heal.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. Pretty bummed about this, but also pretty hopeful because I was walking, carrying groceries, and unracking 45 lb plates in the gym before knowing this lol ...

I'm 24 years old, and fully intend to squat and leg press for 3-4 more decades Smile

Thanks again!
(03-28-2020, 10:12 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Got the radiology report today.

Knee's kind of destroyed.

- ACL rupture
-MCL grade 2 sprain
-LCL grade 2 sprain
-Lateral Meniscus tear

Lot of joint effusion too according to the report, probably from the bone contusion in conjunction with the injured ligaments. Indefinite surgery in the future (ortho consult next week), any personal thoughts on this?

The MCL and LCL will probably heal on their own, anything I can do to help expedite the healing process? I'm rehabbing aggressively, any supplement you think can benefit?

I know some of this connective tissue is avascular so supplements aren't doing much lol

I'm avoiding any frankenstein like protocols us guys like doing on ourselves to heal.

Appreciate your thoughts on this. Pretty bummed about this, but also pretty hopeful because I was walking, carrying groceries, and unracking 45 lb plates in the gym before knowing this lol ...

I'm 24 years old, and fully intend to squat and leg press for 3-4 more decades Smile

Thanks again!

Ah, man, sounds like you did a number...

I'd listen to your Doc and protect the hell out of the knee, to be sure not to exacerbate the current situation.

Barring research chemicals, I'd consider:

• UCII
• Adding Hydrolzysed Collagen to your protein
• Alflutop, which as far as I know is legal to use (no RX needed), but may be hard to find.
• A source of Boswellia: https://examine.com/supplements/boswellia-serrata/
• Glucosamine, e.g., Cosamin DS or GLC2000

-S
-Scott