Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patella Tendonitis
Hey all, just wondering if anyone following FT has experience with Patella Tendonitis? I would like to start FT but with this issue I couldn't do any heavy loading on legs. Not sure whether to work around it or just wait it out and hope to start FT in a few weeks.
Thanks
Hi Ruth

I had this in August caused by overdoing it with a skipping rope. It was agonising to even get up from a seated position. It gradually went away by avoiding anything that caused discomfort, which was any kind of leg press/squat/leg extension.

For me, fortitude training is one of the more fun routines to use in this situation as it should only be the thigh and quad exercises that you would consider leaving out. It also potentially opens up more opportunity for running other body parts at higher volume tiers as you have a gap in your routine from not doing the thigh/quad work for a period of time.

I hope that’s helpful.

Ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(01-01-2022, 12:15 AM)powerhouse_ad Wrote: Hi Ruth

I had this in August caused by overdoing it with a skipping rope.  It was agonising to even get up from a seated position.  It gradually went away by avoiding anything that caused discomfort, which was any kind of leg press/squat/leg extension. 

For me, fortitude training is one of the more fun routines to use in this situation as it should only be the thigh and quad exercises that you would consider leaving out.  It also potentially opens up more opportunity for running other body parts at higher volume tiers as you have a gap in your routine from not doing the thigh/quad work for a period of time.

I hope that’s helpful.

Ad

That's great Ad, I was thinking similarly. I'm allowed to do leg press and leg extensions but only only the lowest weight or an empty plate loaded machine. I'll give the book another good read over the next day or so and come up with a game plan. Like you hopefully in 4-6 I can reassess and add more leg work in. 
(01-01-2022, 09:20 PM)Ruth_G Wrote: That's great Ad, I was thinking similarly. I'm allowed to do leg press and leg extensions but only only the lowest weight or an empty plate loaded machine. I'll give the book another good read over the next day or so and come up with a game plan. Like you hopefully in 4-6 I can reassess and add more leg work in. 

If you’re still able do do some thigh/quad work (as long as it doesn’t prolong your recovery), perhaps you will be able to keep the pump sets in on days 2 and 3, meaning even less deviation from the plan.

(12-29-2021, 01:38 AM)Ruth_G Wrote: Hey all, just wondering if anyone following FT has experience with Patella Tendonitis? I would like to start FT but with this issue I couldn't do any heavy loading on legs. Not sure whether to work around it or just wait it out and hope to start FT in a few weeks.
Thanks

Hey Ruth!  Sorry for missing this post and thanks to Ad for stepping in!

It sounds like you're working with a PT or another medical professional on this?...  If so, I'd just go with what they suggest as far as rehab exercise, and what PH_Ad mentioned is dead on: If it fits within your prescribed parameter, Pump Sets could be the way to go to get some quad training in. Again, depending on a rehab prescription, you might be able to do Pump Sets for quads in place of the other Set types.

As Ad mentioned, too, not irritating and prolonging recovery is super important here, as well as figuring out what the root cause of the tendonitis is for you.  It could be a number of things, but exercise selection could be part of this for you (a/o execution of said exercises), so when you come back into regular training, being wary of the problematic exercises makes sense, too. Smile 

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.