Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Upper lower FT split
(12-21-2021, 06:34 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Yes, you have have to make due with the schedule that life and priorities allow, for sure.  

And there is the possibility, too that diminished loading / effort / reps / stimulus during Pump sets might actually be such that the overall stimulus is reduced, but thereby more optimal given the frequency and how you personally recover.  

Honestly, I suspect there are probably various combinations of frequency and volume that might balance out to the same rte of gains for a given individual.  E.g.  A higher (weekly) volume, lower frequency might pan out the same as a lower volume, higher frequency (fewer sets, but more stimulating d/t being fresher for each) for someone.

[color=#333333][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]

That's totally on topic, actually and one way to combine things for sure. I have wondered if there could ever be a kind of interference effect (as seen with the greatly disparate stimuli of resistance vs. endurance exercise) if one were to do heavy loading on the same day as really high rep work, but I think any sense of that might be mistaken for what is actually a phenomenon of simply doing too much on a given day, e.g. trying to bang out a couple widow makers after doing a good bit of heavy work.

And, it could be that some grow better (in some vs. other muscle groups) from high vs. lower reps, such that the Set Types that are least effective for a person might not add to the growth stimulus and/or mostly cut into recovery.

But for most, I suspect (and this is why I set up FT in this way) that you're covering all bases in doing heavy, moderate and "lighter" training (with varies set type configurations). There's something to say for this approach when you look at fiber type specific growth (a very little literature points in this direction) for heavy vs. lighter rep training, so there's that.

-S

Lots of good food for thought there Scott, great stuff.

I look forward to the next episode of muscle minds!

Ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(12-21-2021, 08:35 AM)powerhouse_ad Wrote: Lots of good food for thought there Scott, great stuff. 

I look forward to the next episode of muscle minds!

Ad

Right on, man!  If you've got a question, toss it out there!  (We actually used this thread as discussion fodder for the last episode, so thank you for your contribution!)

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(12-22-2021, 11:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Right on, man!  If you've got a question, toss it out there!  (We actually used this thread as discussion fodder for the last episode, so thank you for your contribution!)

-Scott

Excellent, looking forward to it even more now Smile

That was a great listen as always Scott.

Just finished my upper loading + upper pump session. Hitting flat dumbbell press and incline dumbbell flies for loading sets, followed by cable flies hit in a 1.5 rep style later on in the workout felt bloody great Smile

(12-27-2021, 10:12 PM)powerhouse_ad Wrote: That was a great listen as always Scott. 

Just finished my upper loading + upper pump session.  Hitting flat dumbbell press and incline dumbbell flies for loading sets, followed by cable flies hit in a 1.5 rep style later on in the workout felt bloody great Smile

Glad you liked it!

Can't go wrong with that combo, man!

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(12-11-2021, 09:58 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Laurance!

Time well tell (if you're meticulous with tracking and and paying attention to signs of progress), but that's certainly an approach that could very well work for you.

Lumping the volume into few training sessions during the week as you have below is a training frequency that matches very closely to the DC training two way split, which is VERY successful. 

Over a Week, DC would look like:

M: Lower (& Biceps)
W: Upper
F: Lower (and Biceps)

What you're doing:
M: Lower (Loading and Pump)
W: Upper (Loading and Pump)
F: Lower Muscle Rounds
S: Upper Muscle Rounds

I intentionally set up FT so that these kinds of variations would be easy to implement, i.e., the structuring into Blocks of Set Types makes mixing and matching easy to do and still use the Volume Tiers as I've laid them out.

The other option that folks like, which you probably found when searching, for those who like to train (or be in the gym rather) more frequently is to stretch Day 1 and Day 2 out over 4 days by doing Loading (lower), Pump (upper), Pump (lower), Loading (upper) spread out over 4 days respectively.

-Scott

I’ve been running FT this way since this post and it’s been a huge success recovery wise. I want to take my training to 3 days a week (busy dad split) to allow some increased intensity or volume, while keeping the upper lower training. Would the following be the best approach?

M upper loading and pump

W lower loading and pump

F upper MR

M lower muscle rounds

I also considered doing turbo day 3 or 4 for the F session depending on how I feel. However I recently attempted to run the busy dad split as written and felt burnt out after 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Beautiful Womans from your city