Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
I figured I would get a thread rolling for some questions as I am reading through FT and as I begin the program... I hope this thread turns into a great Q and A discussion with Scott and others...

As I read through FT, it appears that the in tiers 2 and 3 of the pump sets, the superset pairings in subsequent sets are different. So rather than doing the same two exercises supersetted back and forth, one would do different pairings for the same muscle groups.

For example:
A1) OH Machine shoulder press
B1) Weighted cable crunches
C1) Db side laterals
D1) Captains Chair leg raises

versus
A2) OH Machine shoulder press
B2) Weighted cable crunches

Is this correct Scott?
(07-12-2014, 01:08 AM)mentalflex Wrote: I figured I would get a thread rolling for some questions as I am reading through FT and as I begin the program... I hope this thread turns into a great Q and A discussion with Scott and others...

As I read through FT, it appears that the in tiers 2 and 3 of the pump sets, the superset pairings in subsequent sets are different. So rather than doing the same two exercises supersetted back and forth, one would do different pairings for the same muscle groups.

For example:
C1) Db side laterals
D1) Captains Chair leg raises

versus
A2) OH Machine shoulder press
B2) Weighted cable crunches

Is this correct Scott?

You could do it either way, depending on where you need the work, but ESPECIALLY for shoulders, I'd suggest hitting different exercises, as you have in the first example. (The three sets for shoulders in Volume Tier III is set up with the intention that you might to an set each for anterior, middle and posterior delt heads. Smile )

Some of the purpose of the Pump set (as the name implies) is to create a good pump in the muscle, all around, so if for instance, you were to do a particular ab machine / ab exercise and find it's only hitting upper abs, you could switch to another for the next set (e.g., a reverse crunch).

Switching the pump sets on the fly allows you to work around machines that someone else snags and hit the muscle from different angles.

B/c the weight is relatively light, you are basically working with ~ a warm-up weight in terms of the load (ALTHOUGH I WOULD SUGGEST SOME WARM-UP), so after a first set, you can switch to another exercise (that you know) for a given muscle group fairly safely without a bunch of warm-up sets.

If you pick up a weight during a pump set and the load is too light, just increase it as needed, slow the reps down, do 1 and ½ reps or make it a very high rep set.

I've got 15 - 30 reps as a range, but if you hit 35-40 reps, that's OK. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-12-2014, 01:26 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You could do it either way, depending on where you need the work, but ESPECIALLY for shoulders, I'd suggest hitting different exercises, as you have in the first example. (The three sets for shoulders in Volume Tier III is set up with the intention that you might to an set each for anterior, middle and posterior delt heads. Smile )

Some of the purpose of the Pump set (as the name implies) is to create a good pump in the muscle, all around, so if for instance, you were to do a particular ab machine / ab exercise and find it's only hitting upper abs, you could switch to another for the next set (e.g., a reverse crunch).

Switching the pump sets on the fly allows you to work around machines that someone else snags and hit the muscle from different angles.

B/c the weight is relatively light, you are basically working with ~ a warm-up weight in terms of the load (ALTHOUGH I WOULD SUGGEST SOME WARM-UP), so after a first set, you can switch to another exercise (that you know) for a given muscle group fairly safely without a bunch of warm-up sets.

If you pick up a weight during a pump set and the load is too light, just increase it as needed, slow the reps down, do 1 and ½ reps or make it a very high rep set.

I've got 15 - 30 reps as a range, but if you hit 35-40 reps, that's OK. Smile

-S

Excellent! I really like the pump strategies suggested as well... kind of Mountain Dog-esque twist on it.

More questions to come once I get started Smile
Well, assuming mentalflex is ok with this turning into a Q&A.....

(by the way - this is 5spotbullseye from intensemuscle...)

I just began reading the e-book this morning. I haven't felt like a "newbie" since, well, I was a newbie MANY years ago! I'm trying to understand the execution of the different types of sets (loading, pump & muscle rounds). I'm reading page 87 where it begins to outline what a loading set is. Let's say I was doing the basic version, tier 2, day 2, chest. There's supposed to be 2 loading sets for chest. So, I guess that means 2 sets of 6-12 reps. Then I look at the example on page 89, and I become thoroughly confused. It looks like there are two different exercises being used for the 4 sets. I guess this is the "zig-sagging" discussed on page 88, but I'm not sure. I was under the impression that a loading set was done with one (1) exercise for the prescriped # of sets at 6-12 reps. I probably need to read ALOT more........
For the loading sets......I THINK the number of "zig-zags" is based on the prescribed number of sets for that muscle group on a given day. For example, basic plan, tier 3, day 2....calls for 4 sets of chest. I'm thinking that you do the following:
Set 1 = compound exercise for 6-12 reps (shy of failure)
Set 2 = isolation exercise for 6-12 reps (to failure)
Set 3 = compound exercise (same as set 1 with less weight, if needed) for 6-12 reps (FAILURE)
Set 4 = isolation exercise for 6-12 reps (to failure) - slightly less weight than set 2

However, if you're doing the same day on tier 1 where there is only one (1) set called for, then I guess there is no zig-zag......you just do a single set with the compound exercise to failure.

Am I on the right track?
ARS,

I think you might be mixing up the Tiers.

With Tier I, Chest, you're just doing a single all out set to failure of compound exercise

Tier II Chest - 2 sets, meaning an isolation and a Compound. Given that you're only doing 1 compound, this can be the one taken to failure, and the isolation can also be taken to failure. This would be zig zagged, too, but really only one zig (and not the zag... LOL That's a joke. don't take that too seriously.)

Tier III: 4 sets, so you'd zig zag, but not take the 1st set of the compound to failure. (The isolation sets can be taken to failure), so it would as you have here:

Quote:Set 1 = compound exercise for 6-12 reps (shy of failure)
Set 2 = isolation exercise for 6-12 reps (to failure)
Set 3 = compound exercise (same as set 1 with less weight, if needed) for 6-12 reps (FAILURE)
Set 4 = isolation exercise for 6-12 reps (to failure) - slightly less weight than set 2

------------------

So, you can see that Tier I is pretty low volume in terms of the actual work sets, but you're still going for it. I've had a high (national level) competitor who trains his ass off (he was a professional athlete in another sport) who could only do Tier I b/c he went so hard that he couldn't do more volume.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-12-2014, 07:16 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: ARS,

I think you might be mixing up the Tiers.

With Tier I, Chest, you're just doing a single all out set to failure of compound exercise

Tier II Chest - 2 sets, meaning an isolation and a Compound. Given that you're only doing 1 compound, this can be the one taken to failure, and the isolation can also be taken to failure. This would be zig zagged, too, but really only one zig (and not the zag... LOL That's a joke. don't take that too seriously.)

Tier III: 4 sets, so you'd zig zag, but not take the 1st set of the compound to failure. (The isolation sets can be taken to failure), so it would as you have here:

------------------

So, you can see that Tier I is pretty low volume in terms of the actual work sets, but you're still going for it. I've had a high (national level) competitor who trains his ass off (he was a professional athlete in another sport) who could only do Tier I b/c he went so hard that he couldn't do more volume.

-S

I gotcha. I gave an example of a tier 3 and a tier 1 for comparison only. I've spent a few hours intermittently throughout the day reading this e-book....what a great resource......and bargain.

As for the 3-day variation.....that's most likely what I'll be trying (as shown in your "family man" template). For the sake of discussion though - what would be the disadvantage of doing the 4 day basic routine only 3 days per week? In other words, for the first week, "Day 4" would roll into the next week (Monday). I assume is just less frequency and less than optimal results, but I was just curious. Like I said, I will be using the "as-designed" 3 day variation you outline in the template, but I was just curious.
Hey scott,

I Just finished my DC blast yesterday and was curious if I could do 3x muscle round only workouts as prescribed in the FT cruise basic before my first FT blast so that I don't lose strength going into my first FT blast. (I always lose strength taking a week off as I've done in DC training for years. Cruising/Tapering like this has really got me excited.)
Hey Dr. Scott,
I was wondering how you preferred to do your warmup sets? For example day 1 tier 3, would you only warmup your thigh exercise then zigzag the quad and ham worksets after your first thigh workset. Or would superset thigh, quad, ham for a couple light ones before the worksets?
Also regarding warmup rep ranges what have you had better success with a lower rep more sets warmup like powerlifting or a couple light sets taken shy of failure?
(07-13-2014, 03:25 PM)Lyan Wrote: Hey Dr. Scott,
I was wondering how you preferred to do your warmup sets? For example day 1 tier 3, would you only warmup your thigh exercise then zigzag the quad and ham worksets after your first thigh workset. Or would superset thigh, quad, ham for a couple light ones before the worksets?
Also regarding warmup rep ranges what have you had better success with a lower rep more sets warmup like powerlifting or a couple light sets taken shy of failure?

Hey Lyan,

Good question. Warm-up is very specific to the individual, but I'd definitely warm up on all the exercise you plan to zig-zag for Loading sets, especially b/c those sets are intentionally heavy (even if just "isolation" exercises).

This also helps you figure out the weight to use for the day (auto regulate the load) for each exercise.

----

As far as the reps / number of sets of the warm-up, this can actually be something that fits into the overall volume and stress of the workout. In general, when in doubt, I'm for folks warming up more vs. less: This program is about bodybuilding first and foremost and if someone were to happen to do a bit more warm-up on one day (b/c he / she feels it's needed) and this maybe reduces work sets reps by a rep a two, no worries. We're not trying to train for 1RM's (or predict / calculate them) with the loading sets.

So, at the far ranges, you might have someone who just likes to do a good bit of warm-ing up who might, let's say, us BB squats, knee extension and a prone ham curl and do:

1 x 135 x 15
1 x 225 x 10
<Knee extensions 1 x 100 x 12>
<Knee curl 1 x 80 x 12>
1 x 315 x 8
<Knee ext 1 x 150 x 8>
<Knee curl 1 x 120 x 8>
1 x 405 x 4

-----
Then go sets for squats would be with 455lb, knee extension with 200, knee curl with 180lb.

The above warm-up with those reps, would / could add some volume to the workout, especially if one moves through it at a good pace (making the sets relatively tougher).

One could also do the same warm-up in terms of weight used but cut the reps in half, take one's time and feel that was plenty to be ready. Neurologically, it was 2-4 sets to get to working weight in this, but the muscular volume would be less (fewer reps) and the relative effort less, too.

The former (higher volume warm-up) could mean that person uses Tier II, whereas the latter person might use Tier III volume, and this could be periodized as needed (auto regulated or set out beforehand) to ensure progression of load during the Loading Sets.

------------

In short, "It depends." Smile

-S
-Scott