Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Thank you, appreciate the great answer. I really like the flexibility of the program and volume auto-regulation. Lots of room to play around.
I'll rephrase my question because I don't even understand it myself after I reread it.

Can I use the fortitude training cruise/taper week before starting my first week of FT? (I lose strength taking a week off completely.)
Purchased! Can't wait to start the Fortitude life Wink
'You're not what you eat, your what you eat eats!'

http://instagram.com/thelivingleancoach
(07-13-2014, 07:36 PM)liftweights Wrote: I'll rephrase my question because I don't even understand it myself after I reread it.

Can I use the fortitude training cruise/taper week before starting my first week of FT? (I lose strength taking a week off completely.)

Sure! Although, you're coming from a different program, what you describe (strength loss from an entire week off), is exactly why I set up the Intensive Cruise in that way.

Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
MF, great to see u here!! jus purchase the book and will be reading this book soon Wink
I'm setting up my plan using the 3-day variation template at Tier 1 volume. I'm going to write out, step-by-step, my interpretation of the first week layout.

Special notes:
- I've had severe lower back issue before and I will be selecting exercises that stay away from deads, unsupported rows, free bar squats, etc. I realize it's impossible to replace some of these exercises, but I'm not going through that process again.....
- Hamstring exercise options are very limited due to (a) Note 1, and (b) lack of equipment (gym is well outfitted besides hamstrings). I'm not quite sure what to do about this yet.

Day 1 - Upper Loading
Loading sets are for back (2), chest (1) & delts (1). This would be "Group A" for this day...the next week would be "Group B, and the week after "Group C". Here's my plan:

Back 1 (thickness) - Machine rows (wide) = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Back 2 (width) - Lat pulldowns = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Chest - Incline Smythe BB press = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Shoulders - Smythe BB Press = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)

Notes on loading sets:
1) I do a few light warmup sets, as needed, for each muscle group prior to any working sets.
2) I stretch after the workings sets are completed for each muscle group.
3) Due to only being Tier 1 volume, there really isn't any need for zig-zagging on this day. (There are 2 back sets called for, but I simply chose a thickness and width separately.)
4) Reps are "clean" (no body-english) and continuous

I now move to the pump sets. On this day, there is one (1) set for thighs, one (1) set for quads or hams, and one (1) set for calves. Here's my plan:
Thighs - Hack squat for 15-30 reps (failure)
Quads - Leg extensions for 15-30 reps (failure)
Calves - Calf Press on Hack for 15-30 reps (failure)

Notes on pump sets:
1) Reps are "clean" (no body-english) and continuous
2) Failure can be achieved through many different methods

Day 2 - Lower Loading
Loading sets are for thighs (1), quads (1), hams (1), adductors (1) and calves (2). This would be "Group A" for this day...the next week would be "Group B, and the week after "Group C". Here's my plan:

Thighs - Hack Squats = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Quads - Leg Extensions = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Hams - Wide Stance Leg Press (Sumo) = one (1) working set for 6-12 reps (failure)
Adductors - Adductor machine = one (1) working set for 10-15 reps (failure)
Calves - Calf Press on Leg Press = two (2) working sets for 6-12 reps (last set failure)

I now move to the pump sets. On this day, there is one (1) set for chest and back (pick), one (1) set for shoulders and Abs (pick), and one (1) set for biceps and triceps (pick). Here's my plan:
Machine Flys for 15-30 reps
DB Lateral Raises for 15-30 reps
Hammer Strength MTS Bicep Curls for 15-30 reps

Day 3 - Full Body (Upper Focus)
I do a Muscle Round (MR) set for each of the muscle groups listed. A MR "set" is 6 mini-sets of 4 reps with short (10 sec) rest in between each mini-set. There is only one failure point, ideally on set 6. If I fail on set 4 or 5, that's fine, but the remaining set(s) is done with a lower weight that allows for the full 4 reps on those sets to maintain the one (1) failure point.

Questions:

1) I assume some type of stretching is recommended after all set types (loading, pump & MR)? If so, I assume the stretching after pump sets are done after a given superset?

2) For 3-Day variation, Day 3 - why are hamstrings underlined and in parenthesis after thighs? I see where there is "a/o" for some muscle groups to signify "and/or", but I'm not sure what the notation means.

3) I'm having some trouble distinguishing between thighs and quads. "Thighs", to me, seem to be the main quad exercises such as squats, leg press, hacks, etc. "Quads" would be leg extensions and....?

4) Adductors - seems like there's going to be a very limited exercise availability. The gym I go to recently got one of those machines, but aside from that machine, is there anything else? I'm not sure how to have 3 exercise "groups" for that muscle....

5) When I looked at the pump sets for day 2 on the 3-day variation.....say for chest/back.......I originally thought that I was to pick an exercise for BOTH chest and back and superset them. However, due to the limited # of sets (1), you simply pick whichever one you want to focus on (I think).

6) Calves - probably the highest volume of any muscle when looking at the layout. In my case (3-day variation), day 2 calls for 2 loading sets. Since I need three "groups" (A,B,C), would it be an issue to use the same exercise for those 2 sets, assuming the first set isn't to failure?

That's my first take.......thanks!
(07-15-2014, 01:36 AM)ARS Wrote: Questions:

1) I assume some type of stretching is recommended after all set types (loading, pump & MR)? If so, I assume the stretching after pump sets are done after a given superset?

Yes - page 41. If you don't want to stretch however - it seems like it might be injurious, then I'd not (and consider stepping back from training.)

Stretch after the Pump supersets

Quote:2) For 3-Day variation, Day 3 - why are hamstrings underlined and in parenthesis after thighs? I see where there is "a/o" for some muscle groups to signify "and/or", but I'm not sure what the notation means.

That was an example for a given individual how wanted to focus on Hams.

Quote:3) I'm having some trouble distinguishing between thighs and quads. "Thighs", to me, seem to be the main quad exercises such as squats, leg press, hacks, etc. "Quads" would be leg extensions and....?

The thigh is the area between the hip and knee joints. Thigh exercises would be compound exercises (squats, leg presses, etc.). You can focus thigh exercises on the hams, however, with foot position (e.g. on a leg press)

Quote:4) Adductors - seems like there's going to be a very limited exercise availability. The gym I go to recently got one of those machines, but aside from that machine, is there anything else? I'm not sure how to have 3 exercise "groups" for that muscle....

You're right, but you don't need to per se.

You can do:

Adductor machine.

Use hanging ab slings hooked to a cross-cable machine and you can do those with the slings at the thigh or ankle (here's one kind: Pro Ab Slings

You can use diff. cross-cable machines for the above.

You can use ankle cuffs for the above too.

You can do these unilaterally (standing up) with various cross-cable machines, too. (Great for the sartorius.)

Quote:5) When I looked at the pump sets for day 2 on the 3-day variation.....say for chest/back.......I originally thought that I was to pick an exercise for BOTH chest and back and superset them. However, due to the limited # of sets (1), you simply pick whichever one you want to focus on (I think).

Do one set for each muscle group pairing listed (supersetted). If that seems like too much volume, you can cut back, but note that Pump sets aren't like all-out, widow-makers. You can use light weight as needed

Quote:6) Calves - probably the highest volume of any muscle when looking at the layout. In my case (3-day variation), day 2 calls for 2 loading sets. Since I need three "groups" (A,B,C), would it be an issue to use the same exercise for those 2 sets, assuming the first set isn't to failure?

I'd use the same exercise for each of those sets. (If you can get away with it, you could zig-zag calves, but that's gonna be a pain in the butt for most folks with the short rest interval. I suggest just using one exercise for each day>

Quote:That's my first take.......thanks!

You're welcome!

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks a ton Scott.

As I said in my PM, I tried the Day 1 workout tonight (3-day variation, Tier 1). Those sets go by really quick and the volume turned out to be much lower than I figured. In fact, I believe I'll go with Tier 2 after my initial blast.

I'll take a look at the other responses and tweak my layout as needed. I'll try and get a solid week under my belt and see how things pan out.

Really excited though.........haven't felt like this in years.
(07-15-2014, 08:59 AM)ARS Wrote: Thanks a ton Scott.

As I said in my PM, I tried the Day 1 workout tonight (3-day variation, Tier 1). Those sets go by really quick and the volume turned out to be much lower than I figured. In fact, I believe I'll go with Tier 2 after my initial blast.

I'll take a look at the other responses and tweak my layout as needed. I'll try and get a solid week under my belt and see how things pan out.

Really excited though.........haven't felt like this in years.

Roger the above.

Check my PM for the response r.e. adjusting Tiers as you go during a Blast, as well as noting that you'll be back to hitting those same muscle groups again twice this week (with the Basic Version). Smile

-S
-Scott

Scott- Can you elaborate on the difference between the thigh and the quad. I presume thigh is generally the largest compound movements ie free weight squats.

Quad is a bit more isolated, but can go beyond leg extensions into things like hack squats or leg presses that target the quad more?

Thanks and like ARS haven't been this excited about a program in ages Blush