Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
Thanks a ton Scott! I'm going to take a look at those hamstring exercises and see how to implement them. I've done the glute ham raises (which are killer), but the new lat machine's pad is too narrow. I may have to see if I can widen it with another pad of some sort....
(07-23-2014, 12:24 AM)bigla2004 Wrote: This is super helpful, thank you!

No problemo!

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-23-2014, 12:39 AM)ARS Wrote: Thanks a ton Scott! I'm going to take a look at those hamstring exercises and see how to implement them. I've done the glute ham raises (which are killer), but the new lat machine's pad is too narrow. I may have to see if I can widen it with another pad of some sort....

That's one solution, as well as setting up something on the floor and using a cross-cable machine. Sometimes, you can slip your ankles under the frame of the machine to hold your feet down. (Make sure to get a pad for your knees for this.)

If you add a pad to the narrow seat of the lat pulldown, just watch out for the pad teeter-tottering off of there and you biting it in the gym, esp. during the set or AFTER when you're worn down and trying to climb out with fatigued (or easily cramping) hamstrings. Sad

Also, if your seated calf machine is near an overhead cable (and the seat is wide enough), you can load that up with a few plates and use that as done with the Fetal Ham curls.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-23-2014, 01:23 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: That's one solution, as well as setting up something on the floor and using a cross-cable machine. Sometimes, you can slip your ankles under the frame of the machine to hold your feet down. (Make sure to get a pad for your knees for this.)

If you add a pad to the narrow seat of the lat pulldown, just watch out for the pad teeter-tottering off of there and you biting it in the gym, esp. during the set or AFTER when you're worn down and trying to climb out with fatigued (or easily cramping) hamstrings. Sad

Also, if your seated calf machine is near an overhead cable (and the seat is wide enough), you can load that up with a few plates and use that as done with the Fetal Ham curls.

-S

All kinds of little tricks........I like it......thanks
(07-23-2014, 02:52 AM)ARS Wrote: All kinds of little tricks........I like it......thanks

Sure!

-S
-Scott

This week I bumped up to Tier 2 volume (Basic 3 Day Variation). Day 1 wasn't too bad......Day 2 though - that was a butt-kicker.

Question about pump sets - now that I'm at a higher volume tier where there are multiple sets called for a particular muscle group, do I:
A) use the same exercise for each set for the muscle
B) use a different exercise for each set for the muscle
C) do whatever I want based on preference....just get a pump.

For example, last night (Day 2, Tier 2, Basic 3-day) for the chest/back superset, which calls for 2 sets each, I did:
Machine Flys - paused & squeezed
Hammer Strength MTS Lat Pulldowns

I don't think there's a lot to the pump sets other than.....well......getting a pump. I didn't think it mattered if I repeated the exercise or if I used a totally different exercise for each set. I could be wrong though.......

(07-24-2014, 09:16 PM)ARS Wrote: This week I bumped up to Tier 2 volume (Basic 3 Day Variation). Day 1 wasn't too bad......Day 2 though - that was a butt-kicker.

Question about pump sets - now that I'm at a higher volume tier where there are multiple sets called for a particular muscle group, do I:
A) use the same exercise for each set for the muscle
B) use a different exercise for each set for the muscle
C) do whatever I want based on preference....just get a pump.

For example, last night (Day 2, Tier 2, Basic 3-day) for the chest/back superset, which calls for 2 sets each, I did:

I don't think there's a lot to the pump sets other than.....well......getting a pump. I didn't think it mattered if I repeated the exercise or if I used a totally different exercise for each set. I could be wrong though.......

Option C.

If an exercise is irritating or doesn't work well for the targeted muscle group, then it's not a good one. You can change to a different exercise with the 2nd set for that one.

For delts, Tier III, you have three pump sets: This was to choose an anterior, middle and posterior felt exercise

The more variety in exercise, the greater the variation in activation pattern and the more of the muscle activated and possibly the greater the pump.

So, yes, it's about getting a pump, and KNOWING how to do and feel that via exercise selection, as well as how you do those sets on that particular day.

-S
-Scott

(07-24-2014, 10:53 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Option C.

If an exercise is irritating or doesn't work well for the targeted muscle group, then it's not a good one. You can change to a different exercise with the 2nd set for that one.

For delts, Tier III, you have three pump sets: This was to choose an anterior, middle and posterior felt exercise

The more variety in exercise, the greater the variation in activation pattern and the more of the muscle activated and possibly the greater the pump.

So, yes, it's about getting a pump, and KNOWING how to do and feel that via exercise selection, as well as how you do those sets on that particular day.

-S

Sounds good....thanks
(07-22-2014, 07:30 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Joe,

I'm assuming when school starts up, you won't be able to maintain a two a day schedule, so in that case, I'd say no.

Splitting up the workouts could make sense for someone who is employing all of the recovery techniques possible so that he /she can train with the highest stimulus (volume and intensity) possible, ala an Eastern Bloc Olympic weightlifter or a professional football player trying to get into shape before a season.

For you, I'm guessing you'll not be doing this and then would have to go to the regular schedule and readjust. Also, having just a month and doing the program for the 1st time, i'd say this wouldn't be a good idea.

If you, let's say would typically use Tier II and had done several Intensive Blasts this way and figured out you'd have a month to really get after it (train, eat, sleep, and optimize recovery) then you might be able to go with Volume Tier III for a 4 week blast (running it as long as possible, maybe dropping to Tier II at the end), but that would all be contingent in experience with the program...

Although not everyone finds this to be the case, I find recovery better with one a day programs and longer pure rest days, (e.g., training 4 x / week vs. splitting the work out over 6-7 days). Some of this may be psychological, of course, too. Getting geared up mentally for a big workout can be tough day in day out.

-S

Awesome. Really appreciate the detailed answer.

Joe
Scott,

Just thinking out loud here but it seems like the diet pattern can be used to do some sort of a slow recomp (gain muscle/lose fat @ the same time). Non training days can continue to be hypocaloric, while training days can be hypercaloric.

Is this possible?