Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(07-28-2014, 09:37 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Altamir,

Oh Jeez - THAT Guy... LOL

This is making use of Post-activation potentiation.

I actually wrote a piece on that for EliteFTS™, but I don't think it made it up to the site. I'll ask if they want to use it. Otherwise, I'll put up some snibbets here, if possible.

Using PAP isn't really a break from FT, IMO. You can warm-up however you like and if you're keyed in enough to make use of that phenomenon, I'm all for it.

(I've got all sorts of things twists that can be added to the program, but they would simply create confusion on a 1st draft of the book or not be something that folks could implement just in reading a book or some online posts. I'm all for optimizing your training in any way shape or form. For some who can see the structure and have the experience, using a PAP based warm-up with FT isn't a stretch at all and just what I would want that person, e.g., you, to do, to optimize the training stimulus.

Someone else could get lost in overanalyzing details and how to try to use PAP on the 3 MR of a back exercise, etc. For that person, KISS is perhaps a better approach to start off with. Smile

-S

As a guy who likes tossing around heavy weights.. I think this is a great idea, but like Scott said, you need to be in touch w/ your body and likely only applicable before the first loading set.
Well, I tried out some smythe stiff-legged deads for hams on my Friday MR workout. LOVED IT. I was able to stay relatively heavy (compared to what I considered "safe" before) but at the same time keep form TIGHT & SAFE.

Due to the lower back issues I mentioned previously.........would it be an option to use MR sets in place of the loading sets for hamstrings? There's absolutely no way that I can go heavy enough on the loading sets for my hamstrings without eventually running into lower back issues. So, I can either do a half-assed loading set (which I can't imagine is very effective), or I can just use a MR set. With the MR sets, I feel like I can use a fairly heavy poundage in the safest manner possible.
(07-28-2014, 09:37 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Altamir,

Oh Jeez - THAT Guy... LOL

This is making use of Post-activation potentiation.

I actually wrote a piece on that for EliteFTS™, but I don't think it made it up to the site. I'll ask if they want to use it. Otherwise, I'll put up some snibbets here, if possible.

Using PAP isn't really a break from FT, IMO. You can warm-up however you like and if you're keyed in enough to make use of that phenomenon, I'm all for it.

(I've got all sorts of things twists that can be added to the program, but they would simply create confusion on a 1st draft of the book or not be something that folks could implement just in reading a book or some online posts. I'm all for optimizing your training in any way shape or form. For some who can see the structure and have the experience, using a PAP based warm-up with FT isn't a stretch at all and just what I would want that person, e.g., you, to do, to optimize the training stimulus.

Someone else could get lost in overanalyzing details and how to try to use PAP on the 3 MR of a back exercise, etc. For that person, KISS is perhaps a better approach to start off with. Smile

-S

Great! Thanks. I normally I don't go higher than ~85% for the over warm up single. Nothing really too taxing. Appreciate the prompt answer and understanding. I try to keep it fairly simple. Mostly, for squat, bench variations, military press and chins.
Hi Scott,

Can fruit juice be used as the carbs in the Peri-workout supplement? Or are the carbs in malto, HBCD etc. superior to the fructose/sucrose in fruit juice?

(07-30-2014, 12:55 AM)ul7ima Wrote: Hi Scott,

Can fruit juice be used as the carbs in the Peri-workout supplement? Or are the carbs in malto, HBCD etc. superior to the fructose/sucrose in fruit juice?

Fructose is not preferred when you're limiting the time for replenishing glycogen. If you want to have some juice for flavor, go a head, but I'd not drink purely HFCS, for instance. Grape juice, for instance is lower in fructose than most juices.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Scott - in regards to the point you brought up about MR sets allowing for safer use of heavier poundages - if I'm having difficulty going heavy enough on loading sets for a certain muscle group (say hamstrings) or a certain exercise (say smythe stiff legged deads for hams), would a MR set be a better option? The way I look at it, I have 3 options:
1) Go all-out on the loading set and risk an injury (this is a no-go for me......too smart for that)
2) Go easier on the loading set, avoid injury, but make the loading set less effective (perhaps with higher reps?)
3) Use a MR set, use decently heavy poundage, progress on it, and do it safe

I REALLY digging these MR sets, so I thought I'd ask..............
(07-31-2014, 04:46 AM)ARS Wrote: Scott - in regards to the point you brought up about MR sets allowing for safer use of heavier poundages - if I'm having difficulty going heavy enough on loading sets for a certain muscle group (say hamstrings) or a certain exercise (say smythe stiff legged deads for hams), would a MR set be a better option? The way I look at it, I have 3 options:
1) Go all-out on the loading set and risk an injury (this is a no-go for me......too smart for that)
2) Go easier on the loading set, avoid injury, but make the loading set less effective (perhaps with higher reps?)
3) Use a MR set, use decently heavy poundage, progress on it, and do it safe

I REALLY digging these MR sets, so I thought I'd ask..............

ARS,

I can't really answer that without knowing why you're having difficulty going heavy enough on the Loading sets...

For which muscle groups and exercises and for what specific reasons (for each)?...

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-31-2014, 05:32 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: ARS,

I can't really answer that without knowing why you're having difficulty going heavy enough on the Loading sets...

For which muscle groups and exercises and for what specific reasons (for each)?...

-S

Well, typically I stay away from anything that loads my lower back eccentrically. For most exercises I have enough alternate exercise options that are safe for my back, but my hamstring options are limited. I tried a MR set with stiff-legged deads last Friday and it went GREAT. It's been awhile since my hams had a relatively heavy workout.....and it felt safe the entire time.

I guess that's really the only situation I can think of right now.............
(07-31-2014, 08:52 AM)ARS Wrote: Well, typically I stay away from anything that loads my lower back eccentrically. For most exercises I have enough alternate exercise options that are safe for my back, but my hamstring options are limited. I tried a MR set with stiff-legged deads last Friday and it went GREAT. It's been awhile since my hams had a relatively heavy workout.....and it felt safe the entire time.

I guess that's really the only situation I can think of right now.............

I wouldn't use SLDL's for LOADING sets as those aren't really isolation exercises. (Thigh loading sets would be squats, leg press varieties, mainly with knee curls varieties as your isolation sets for hams. The idea with the isolation set zig zagging is to lay off the low back and pre-fatigue / focus on quads / ham so that the low back is rested for the compound thigh exercises, as needed. )

Do you not have heavy enough DB for heavy DB ham curls?...

Were you not able to set up a fetal ham curl / russian knee curl of some sort?... That's your ticket for heavy ham exercises. Smile

-S
-Scott

(07-31-2014, 11:18 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I wouldn't use SLDL's for LOADING sets as those aren't really isolation exercises. (Thigh loading sets would be squats, leg press varieties, mainly with knee curls varieties as your isolation sets for hams. The idea with the isolation set zig zagging is to lay off the low back and pre-fatigue / focus on quads / ham so that the low back is rested for the compound thigh exercises, as needed. )

Do you not have heavy enough DB for heavy DB ham curls?...

Were you not able to set up a fetal ham curl / russian knee curl of some sort?... That's your ticket for heavy ham exercises. Smile

-S

My gym has those rubber coated DB's that have a narrow profile.....very difficult to keep between my feet without having a spotter. I may try to grab someone and have them lift them into place for me. If that doesn't work, I may rig up my super squat hip belt with a loading pin for some ham curls somehow.

Hams curls on the cable rack were decent, but I need to get better ankle cuffs.

I was able to get on the decline bench backwards and simulate a GHR. It's a bit awkward, and due to the leverage setup, I need to assist with my hands. It turns into a "negative-only" movement and highly dependent on the amount of effort I push off with, but I can get them to work. In fact, I just did them last night.

I'll keep experimenting. Usually when you're forced to think outside the box with exercises you'll stumble onto something that is a new favorite.

I will say one thing - my strength is really starting to take off right now (compared to recent experience). Initially I thought it was a placebo effect, but the longer it goes, the less I believe that. Eventually I want to enter into a fat-loss phase, but I wanted to wait until I got 1-2 full effort blasts under my belt. This would help me get a better feel for the program and how it's supposed to work, plus it might help elevate my metabolism and make my calorie intake starting point a bit higher.