Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortitude Training™ Tidbits
Thought I'd start a thread to keep a running diary of thoughts about FT as the come up over the course the training system making it's way out into the internet.

Today's thought (Actually from yesterday's workout)

Pump Training Technique: I'll call em "5's Into the Hole"

Pick a weight, exercise, etc. as you would normally for a FT Pump Set.

• Perform 5 slow focused reps
• At the contracted portion of the 5th rep (arms bent during a curl, top of side lateral position, knees extended for quad exercise, arms / elbow down and back for back exercise, pec in Squeeze position for chest exercises, plantar flexed during calf exercises, etc.) - Perform 5 partial ~¼ to ⅓ reps at THAT end of the range of motion. (Just a but shorter and a half rep.) Intention is to connect with the muscle here. This is great for bitting lower lats, upper pecs, etc.

• Lower the weight and then to 4 reps
• At the contracted position of the 4th rep, do 4 partial reps as above.

• Lower the weight and then to 3 slow focused reps
• At the top of contracted portion of or the ROM of 3rd rep, do 3 partials

• Lower and do 2 more reps
• Two partials as above

• Down to bottom and then raise to top, finishing the set here with the partials until fatigue ensues and you can safely lower the weight to the starting position.

-------

If the weight is chosen correctly, you'll end up getting deep into the set Where you get the 5's, 4's, 2's and at least to the 2's. If you get t to the single rep you shouldn't' get too many (<10 for sure) partial pulsing reps there.

NOTE that you can slow the speed of the reps down and create a nice occlusion effect. This technique will work with weights across a fairly wide loading range (%1RM), so it's not a bad choice if you lose access to a machine you intended to use for a PUMP set and need to hop on something different. You can simply go very light (for safety reasons) with slow reps and get a great stimulus. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOYF30xpCo

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
[-] The following 9 users say Thank You to Scott Stevenson for this post:
  • Arcangel, Crashdoll, Dario d'Ambrosio, DOWORK, Karl Topham, Muscle175, righty, samuelbreezey, tj124
This technique reminds me of a similar one that I like using static holds in the fully contracted position rather than, or in addition to the partials. Using a Hammer Strength High Row machine, for example, after completing some very slow, controlled reps with a relatively light weight, squeeze and hold the contracted position until you really start to feel the muscle burn right where you want it to (with the lighter weight, it's easy to make slight adjustments when you first get into this position to find just the right spot). Then, without putting the weight down, complete some more reps, another static hold, more reps, etc. This seems to be a pretty good way of getting in touch with a muscle that you might have trouble feeling too. It's also nice to be able to throw in a bit of an extreme stretch at the end (after you're all repped out in my High Row example, just allow the same weight to stretch you until you can't hold it anymore). It's a nice technique, all it really needs is a cool name.winkie
(07-30-2014, 11:27 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Thought I'd start a thread to keep a running diary of thoughts about FT as the come up over the course the training system making it's way out into the internet.

• At the contracted portion of the 5th rep (arms bent during a curl, top of side lateral position, knees extended for quad exercise, arms / elbow down and back for back exercise, pec in Squeeze position for chest exercises, plantar flexed during calf exercises, etc.) - Perform 5 partial ~¼ to ⅓ reps at THAT end of the range of motion. (Just a but shorter and a half rep.) Intention is to connect with the muscle here. This is great for bitting lower lats, upper pecs, etc.

• Two partials as above

• Down to bottom and then raise to top, finishing the set here with the partials until fatigue ensues and you can safely lower the weight to the starting position.

-------

If the weight is chosen correctly, you'll end up getting deep into the set Where you get the 5's, 4's, 2's and at least to the 2's. If you get t to the single rep you shouldn't' get too many (<10 for sure) partial pulsing reps there.

NOTE that you can slow the speed of the reps down and create a nice occlusion effect. This technique will work with weights across a fairly wide loading range (%1RM), so it's not a bad choice if you lose access to a machine you intended to use for a PUMP set and need to hop on something different. You can simply go very light (for safety reasons) with slow reps and get a great stimulus. Smile

-Scott

Did this for the first time this last weekend for my pump sets and the pumps were INSANE! Thanks for sharing Scott! Keep em coming Smile
I've really enjoyed the 5's using slow reps . This week I picked a weight that was a bit to light, so instead of bumping it up, I chose to do 1 and 1/2 reps with the 5s...fun times Smile

Great idea tried today great pump!!!
(07-30-2014, 11:27 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Thought I'd start a thread to keep a running diary of thoughts about FT as the come up over the course the training system making it's way out into the internet.

• Two partials as above

-------

-Scott

Dear Scott can we use this 5's technic for all pump exercises for tier day one and day two ?
(11-25-2014, 05:40 AM)Hakan Çelik Wrote: Dear Scott can we use this 5's technic for all pump exercises for tier day one and day two ?

There are exceptions to every rule, but the idea around the Pump sets is to vary the stimulus to some degree, too. This one is a bit tougher than, for instance, doing a simple continuous straight set, so factor that in.

A general comment here is that this program relies upon:

-Trainee knowledge to know what feels good / right / appropriate in terms of tendon ache's pains, what feels right for a given exercise and how to choose exercises.

-What fits with a the accumulating stress within a workout, within a week / from previous recent workouts and relative to the Blast Tier a person has done.

If a given technique for a Pump set feels right, then chances are, it is. If not, then chances are its not.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thank you for your kind feedback. Honestly I'm surprising your all feedback which is very very valuable.
(11-26-2014, 07:29 PM)Hakan Çelik Wrote: Thank you for your kind feedback. Honestly I'm surprising your all feedback which is very very valuable.

You're welcome Hakan!

Trying to fill the board with good info. whenever I can. Smile

-S
-Scott

Bumping this up - Added a vid. of 5's into the hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOYF30xpCo

-S
-Scott