Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(08-07-2014, 01:50 AM)riffactory Wrote: Thanks for the book scott
Looking into starting it some fortitude soon

So for the 3 day variation we are looking at something to the effect of
2 loading/pump days and one day for total body muscle rounds correct?

An example in the book laid exactly. See the FAQ. Smile

FT is not typically meant to be a 3 day program. I'd suggest bucking up with 4 days initially for most anyone.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Scott;

I'm about 3.5 weeks into my first FT blast. Week 1 was basic 3-day tier 1, weeks 2 & 3 were basic 3-day tier 2. Due to the beating I took in weeks 2 & 3, I scaled back to tier 1 for week 4. My shoulders & knees are sore, sleep isn't terribly good, and I'm feeling less motivated these last few days. So....it's time to cruise. When transitioning to the MR workouts only, I am assuming that, even though I've been using the 3-day plan, I'm supposed to use the 4-day MR workouts (upper / lower). I wouldn't think that I'm supposed to use the 3-day MR workout since it's full body. Is this correct?

On a side note - I'm really surprised at how quickly I had to cruise, especially considering that I'm using a lower volume tier. I know my recovery isn't what it used to be (I'm 35), but I'm getting lots of aches & pains in places where I never have issues (shoulders mainly). In this blast, due to the types of sets (loading & MR), I've been able to move poundages that I haven't touched in a few years. (I think I military pressed 205 lbs for 11 or 12 reps last workout.) I'm sure this has a lot to do with it. I think the frequency might be playing a role too. I've been doing a traditional push/legs/pull routine for about 4 years where the frequency is once per week, but I hammered the muscle on that day.

EDIT - forgot to mention - I had about 2 weeks of training in before I started this FT blast, so that likely contributed to the shortened blast as well.

In the end, it was a good first blast. I'm going to get a few MR workouts in, take a short break, and start back up probably by the week of the 17th.
Hey Bud,

Yeah, being "relatively" untrained probably made a huge difference.

Folks who've not done higher freq. programs don't recognized how this can "creep" up on you.

I'd simply stick with the MR workouts you've been doing, Tier I (at least fro the first Intensivey Cruise workout) and do that maybe Friday (not sure when your last workout was, but give it an extra day off) and then again 2-3 days later. I'd go with about a 9 days IC (INtenisvie cruise).

MAKE Sure that you're working around those aches n' pain. You may have to do some MR workouts that are highly creative or almost seem foo-foo to you.

Don't do a bilateral leg press if your knees hurt - do a unilateral one with very light weight slow and controlled. (A unilateral LP MR is tough - basically 12 sets of 4 without rest, unless a weight drop is needed)

. Do a supported rows to lay of the low back.

Cable work to workout around achy shoulders

Machines, not free weights and even partial ROM to above portions of a ROM that cause tendons to seem a bit niggly. (This is the perfect time to do a FLEXIBILITY stretch to ensure that you're not just cutting ROM short and walking away from the exercise. We eon't want to be losing flexibility d/t workout around pain.)

-S

(08-07-2014, 09:22 PM)ARS Wrote: Scott;

I'm about 3.5 weeks into my first FT blast. Week 1 was basic 3-day tier 1, weeks 2 & 3 were basic 3-day tier 2. Due to the beating I took in weeks 2 & 3, I scaled back to tier 1 for week 4. My shoulders & knees are sore, sleep isn't terribly good, and I'm feeling less motivated these last few days. So....it's time to cruise. When transitioning to the MR workouts only, I am assuming that, even though I've been using the 3-day plan, I'm supposed to use the 4-day MR workouts (upper / lower). I wouldn't think that I'm supposed to use the 3-day MR workout since it's full body. Is this correct?

On a side note - I'm really surprised at how quickly I had to cruise, especially considering that I'm using a lower volume tier. I know my recovery isn't what it used to be (I'm 35), but I'm getting lots of aches & pains in places where I never have issues (shoulders mainly). In this blast, due to the types of sets (loading & MR), I've been able to move poundages that I haven't touched in a few years. (I think I military pressed 205 lbs for 11 or 12 reps last workout.) I'm sure this has a lot to do with it. I think the frequency might be playing a role too. I've been doing a traditional push/legs/pull routine for about 4 years where the frequency is once per week, but I hammered the muscle on that day.

EDIT - forgot to mention - I had about 2 weeks of training in before I started this FT blast, so that likely contributed to the shortened blast as well.

In the end, it was a good first blast. I'm going to get a few MR workouts in, take a short break, and start back up probably by the week of the 17th.

-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-07-2014, 11:01 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud,

Folks who've not done higher freq. programs don't recognized how this can "creep" up on you.

I'd simply stick with the MR workouts you've been doing, Tier I (at least fro the first Intensivey Cruise workout) and do that maybe Friday (not sure when your last workout was, but give it an extra day off) and then again 2-3 days later. I'd go with about a 9 days IC (INtenisvie cruise).

MAKE Sure that you're working around those aches n' pain. You may have to do some MR workouts that are highly creative or almost seem foo-foo to you.

Don't do a bilateral leg press if your knees hurt - do a unilateral one with very light weight slow and controlled. (A unilateral LP MR is tough - basically 12 sets of 4 without rest, unless a weight drop is needed)

Machines, not free weights and even partial ROM to above portions of a ROM that cause tendons to seem a bit niggly. (This is the perfect time to do a FLEXIBILITY stretch to ensure that you're not just cutting ROM short and walking away from the exercise. We eon't want to be losing flexibility d/t workout around pain.)

-S

I agree with the "untrained" comment. That's why I started looking into higher frequency training options, which is when I came across FT.

I figured that it's going to take some time to condition myself to a level where I can push the volume higher & higher. I think next blast I'm going to stay at Tier 1 the entire time and try to get a full 6 weeks. Slowly, over time, I'll try and push my average volume higher & higher.

I'll definitely work around the aches & pains. I doubt I do any pressing movements for shoulders....I'll probably stick to lateral raise movements.

As for the stretching.....I was a bit lazy with it this blast. I started off doing them, but when I moved up to Tier 2 and the workouts became fairly lengthy, I skipped them. That's something I will NOT do next time.

Although I wasn't crazy about it, I've laid off the cardio (HIIT wingates, 2X-3X per week) altogether during this blast. This was very counterintuitive to me, but I wanted to eliminate any recovery issues. I can definitely see though where FT replaces some, if not all (for some people), of your cardio needs at higher levels of volume. I don't think I will be one of the lucky ones that can eliminate cardio when shedding fat, but if you can tolerate those higher volume tiers, I can see it as a possibility.
(08-07-2014, 11:01 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud,

-S

Thanks for answering that question. That explains a lot for me. I have never been this sore and now it really make sense that I am not used to the frequency that this program is giving me. I only started this week but I have never been this sore. I expect some great thing from this down the road as I put a few blast through the ropes.

FYI I am doing basic tier 1.
(08-07-2014, 11:48 PM)ARS Wrote: I agree with the "untrained" comment. That's why I started looking into higher frequency training options, which is when I came across FT.

I figured that it's going to take some time to condition myself to a level where I can push the volume higher & higher. I think next blast I'm going to stay at Tier 1 the entire time and try to get a full 6 weeks. Slowly, over time, I'll try and push my average volume higher & higher.

I'll definitely work around the aches & pains. I doubt I do any pressing movements for shoulders....I'll probably stick to lateral raise movements.

As for the stretching.....I was a bit lazy with it this blast. I started off doing them, but when I moved up to Tier 2 and the workouts became fairly lengthy, I skipped them. That's something I will NOT do next time.

Although I wasn't crazy about it, I've laid off the cardio (HIIT wingates, 2X-3X per week) altogether during this blast. This was very counterintuitive to me, but I wanted to eliminate any recovery issues. I can definitely see though where FT replaces some, if not all (for some people), of your cardio needs at higher levels of volume. I don't think I will be one of the lucky ones that can eliminate cardio when shedding fat, but if you can tolerate those higher volume tiers, I can see it as a possibility.

You night be surprised what you can tolerate if you work your way up to it.

Article for ya:

MuscleMag International Article - Discover the Afterburn (EPOC)

(08-08-2014, 05:26 AM)jwtiger69 Wrote: Thanks for answering that question. That explains a lot for me. I have never been this sore and now it really make sense that I am not used to the frequency that this program is giving me. I only started this week but I have never been this sore. I expect some great thing from this down the road as I put a few blast through the ropes.

FYI I am doing basic tier 1.

Make sure you're eating enough, JW. Smile

-S
-Scott

Exercise Finder - Search for the Perfect Exercise

(07-22-2014, 10:56 PM)ARS Wrote: Last week was my first week of my first blast with FT. All I can say.....outstanding. It's early, and I'm still "feeling out" some of the techniques, but so far I'm loving this program. I started on the 3-day variation with Tier 1 volume. However, it wasn't as "high volume" as it appeared on paper, and I'm pretty sure that I can handle Tier 2 without any issues. By the way - I LOVE MR sets.......

I have a few follow-up questions........

1) When choosing exercises for the three different set types (loading, pump, MR), due to limited choices for some muscle groups, I would assume that it's alright to have an exercise used for multiple set types? I know that different exercises sometimes lend themselves better to a particular set type, but there some exercises that are very versatile and can be applied to any of the set types. For example - Hammer Strength Iso Incline Press - great for loading, great for pump, and great for MR. Now, I know the goal is to use a variety of exercises, particularly for pump sets & MR sets, which I plan to do as much as possible, but in cases where there's not many choices - is it ok to use an exercise multiple times for different set types?

2) I know it's mentioned that pump sets (and loading sets) are to be continuous, but does that include pausing under tension, such as a paused leg press or squat? I'm not going to do this for loading sets, but I'm planning on using paused versions of some exercises for my pump sets to (a) reduce the weight and (b) increase TUT. I guess this COULD apply to some loading sets for back thickness, particularly rowing exercises, where a "squeeze & hold" is preferred. Is the bottom line that pauses are not to be taken for the purpose of resting, which gives inconsistent performance logs from workout to workout?

3) I'm really finding myself limited in terms of hamstring exercises. I live outside of a tiny rural town, but relatively speaking, the gym I go to is fairly well equipped (Hammer Strength, Life Fitness & free weights) for this area, except for hamstrings. As of right now, they have no direct hamstring machines (leg curls or hyperextensions). This, coupled with a horrible injury history with my lower back (including surgery), has left me searching for exercise options. Here's what I have available:
DB stiff-legged raises - feels great, can really get a safe & deep stretch at bottom
BB stiff-legged raises - can do on Smythe too, but in both cases, needs to be LIGHT (20-30 rep)
Wide-stance (sumo) leg press - although I can't seem to feel my hams being activated that much here

Perhaps I need to really get creative here and just expand my thinking, but any suggestions would be helpful.

4) Diet related - I've always been a big fan of TrueNutrition's "MG's Powdered Muscle" formula for my peri-workout shake. Seems like this formula fits the bill quite nicely for the prescribed peri-workout shake.....

5) Diet related again - I've really become accustomed to Intermittent Fasting where I eat about 4 meals (whole food, shake, whole food, shake) from noon until 9pm. In the mornings, both at 6am & 9am, I'll have some BCAA's. I'm curious to hear thoughts on IF and how it fits into the diet demands of FT.

quick question with the tier 1. Are the pump sets supposed to be supersets in this phase? As in just 1 single superset per muscle group? The example on p.92 has me confused. Since I'm not doing tier 3, I don't know if I do my pump sets as a superset or just individual sets.
Supersets for the bodyparts grouped together. Look at page 103.
For Tier 1 Day 1

Chest and back, one set each supersetted
Same for delts and abs
Same for bis/tris
Thanks. looks like I'm ready to start FT now.