Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(10-07-2014, 02:48 AM)jwtiger69 Wrote: That was me actually. I was asking about bicep tendonitis. Your post/questions a few pages back were very helpful. I ended up taking a cruise and stopped all heavy biceps and shoulder pressing. I also readjusted my work station at work so I am a lot more comfortable and not "reaching" for my mouse. The pain is gone and I am still going to take it slow for a bit.

AWESOME!!!

(I knew it was someone with a "w" as the 2nd character in his user id... Smile )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Well, I've lowered my volume to T2T and really pushed it. Im scheduled to finish week 6. Going to IC due to events,and vacation. But don't feel like I've over reached any.

Next blast I think I'll try and progress up the tiers. That way I can schedule the longer workouts the last two weeks and push it over the edge.

On a good note, this blast netted a 5lb gain. Its not all lean this time but still well worth it. So 10lbs in 2 blast.

Scott, how do you feel about keeping calories up but carbs low during IC? I feel I've lost some insulin sensitivity. Im using berberine with carb meals but figured that would help a bit.
(10-07-2014, 01:16 PM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Well, I've lowered my volume to T2T and really pushed it. Im scheduled to finish week 6. Going to IC due to events,and vacation. But don't feel like I've over reached any.

Next blast I think I'll try and progress up the tiers. That way I can schedule the longer workouts the last two weeks and push it over the edge.

On a good note, this blast netted a 5lb gain. Its not all lean this time but still well worth it. So 10lbs in 2 blast.

Scott, how do you feel about keeping calories up but carbs low during IC? I feel I've lost some insulin sensitivity. Im using berberine with carb meals but figured that would help a bit.

10lb is awesome!

You may rebound on this intensive cruise even though you don't feel entirely shot. (It's all relative... Smile )

Great question wrt the cruise. This is a time to fine-tune and prepare for the next blast.

If you're eating with fewer kcal on non-training days anyway, then having more of those during the cruise will mean lowered kcal de facto.

If you're really trying to make gains, you can keep eating big, for instance using a training day diet on your training day and the next day (followed by a non-training day if your'e training once is a span of three days). Another option would be to simply keep the same # of days / week eating your "training day" diet, even though you're not training that frequently.

If you don't think you'll be rebounding much, and feel you need a mini-diet (there is merit there), then you can drop the kcal.

If it's insulin sensitivity thats a main issue (perhaps you use a BG monitor), then I'd keep carbs low but not let kcal go too low. Remember, too that you've got the last ⅓ of the cruise to NOT train, so you could simply make that a very low carb period (3-4 days) and at least get a temporary restoration of insulins sensitivity.

(Note that diet and training will have acute effects on insulin sensitivity, whereas body comp will have a long term, persistent effect. I.e., staying leaner is in your favor overall.)

------------

There is a paper I just heard about examining the max "return on investment" wrt muscle gain when overfeed in natty weight trainers. I've not read it, but it's looking at the point at which excess kcal don't contribute to more muscle mass. This would tie into insulin sensitivity of course, as well as how fast you can gain and still expect it to muscle. I'll look for the paper / data and report back. I'm not sure if it's published info. yet. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-08-2014, 12:54 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: 10lb is awesome!

You may rebound on this intensive cruise even though you don't feel entirely shot. (It's all relative... Smile )

Great question wrt the cruise. This is a time to fine-tune and prepare for the next blast.

If you're eating with fewer kcal on non-training days anyway, then having more of those during the cruise will mean lowered kcal de facto.

If you're really trying to make gains, you can keep eating big, for instance using a training day diet on your training day and the next day (followed by a non-training day if your'e training once is a span of three days). Another option would be to simply keep the same # of days / week eating your "training day" diet, even though you're not training that frequently.

If you don't think you'll be rebounding much, and feel you need a mini-diet (there is merit there), then you can drop the kcal.

If it's insulin sensitivity thats a main issue (perhaps you use a BG monitor), then I'd keep carbs low but not let kcal go too low. Remember, too that you've got the last ⅓ of the cruise to NOT train, so you could simply make that a very low carb period (3-4 days) and at least get a temporary restoration of insulins sensitivity.

(Note that diet and training will have acute effects on insulin sensitivity, whereas body comp will have a long term, persistent effect. I.e., staying leaner is in your favor overall.)

------------

There is a paper I just heard about examining the max "return on investment" wrt muscle gain when overfeed in natty weight trainers. I've not read it, but it's looking at the point at which excess kcal don't contribute to more muscle mass. This would tie into insulin sensitivity of course, as well as how fast you can gain and still expect it to muscle. I'll look for the paper / data and report back. I'm not sure if it's published info. yet. Smile

-S

Thanks! Very helpful, my goals are to build as much as I can but stay in a body weight window. I'm 5'5" i dont like to get over 210 but need to stay around 200.

I think I'll try and rebound the first week see how it goes. Than taper carbs down to low the no training days.

My calories don't fluctuate much on training and non training days but the carbs on non days are around 200gr and training days 350gr. Calories are replaced with fat on off days.

I eat 5 meals a day 3 pro/fat than 2 pro/carb and intra shake on work out days. Off days no intra which is 150 gr.

That article sounds interesting, over feeding in any state I believe would cause fat gain. If assisted everything just moves up from natural in my opinion/ experience .
(10-08-2014, 01:47 AM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Thanks! Very helpful, my goals are to build as much as I can but stay in a body weight window. I'm 5'5" i dont like to get over 210 but need to stay around 200.

I think I'll try and rebound the first week see how it goes. Than taper carbs down to low the no training days.

My calories don't fluctuate much on training and non training days but the carbs on non days are around 200gr and training days 350gr. Calories are replaced with fat on off days.

I eat 5 meals a day 3 pro/fat than 2 pro/carb and intra shake on work out days. Off days no intra which is 150 gr.

That article sounds interesting, over feeding in any state I believe would cause fat gain. If assisted everything just moves up from natural in my opinion/ experience .

There are many examples in the literature of re-partitioning (fat loss and muscle gain), but how you define "overfeeding" would determine what this means relative to fat gain... Smile

-S
-Scott

(07-27-2014, 08:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I thought I mentioned that it took me over two months to feel normal again.

Exhausted, difficulty sleeping (very difficult), resting HR was elevated. At the same time, I just wanted to sleep. Motivation to train was minimal. Appetite was low annihilated.

This was about two years ago now, so I can't remember everything, but I felt like I'd just come out of a concentration camp.

I've gone deep into prep's before and after a contest, simply ate back up for a week or so, got my BF% up above 5% and felt GREAT. Not happening this time. (When I was doing TT - or my best interpretation of it - , I was training so hard that I'd have to sleep after eating for 2-3hr sometimes in the late afternoon, which meant I'd stay up late to work, too, which probably didn't help.)

I was intentionally doing the program all out like this, in hopes of having a great over-reaching rebound, but instead, I drove the hole too deep and got lost in it.

-S

this post explains exactly where I am at this moment. I'm ready to take this next week fairly easy and then get hard at it was fortitude training.

I've made the mistake of not taking a cruise for a significant amount of time, probably eight months or so.

I will start a log! once again Scott thank you so much for all the information!
I'm in the military and have morning PT sessions (0700). They last an hour consisting of sprints, push ups, runs, etc. I lift during lunch (1100). How would you optimally structure a diet around the PT session if fat loss is your primary goal. I am thinking P/F before, P/C post (low glycemic). Usually coconut oil in coffee with either protein shake or low carb toast with peanut butter before. Afterwards is oatmeal with eggs or protein. The rest of the day is consistent with the FT notes. Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.
(10-11-2014, 11:10 AM)phoebeusfenix Wrote: this post explains exactly where I am at this moment. I'm ready to take this next week fairly easy and then get hard at it was fortitude training.

I've made the mistake of not taking a cruise for a significant amount of time, probably eight months or so.

I will start a log! once again Scott thank you so much for all the information!

You're welcome. Looking forward to the log. (Remind me to get in there if help needed. I don't always read the logs very closely...)

-S
-Scott

Question, I know the loading sets are the only pre set exercises...I'm wondering if people have better progress setting up MR set instinctive or pre set?...I'm writing up my next blast and am wondering the benefits. Im normally anal about doing what i set out to do, but it sucks when you have to wait on a piece of equipment. So does the variety from keeping the MR set open help?
(10-15-2014, 01:01 PM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Question, I know the loading sets are the only pre set exercises...I'm wondering if people have better progress setting up MR set instinctive or pre set?...I'm writing up my next blast and am wondering the benefits. Im normally anal about doing what i set out to do, but it sucks when you have to wait on a piece of equipment. So does the variety from keeping the MR set open help?

This question is especially deserving of the very specific answer, "It depends..."

Wink

If you're working on a specific weakness, then using specific exercises (that are "pre-set" in that you use the more often than others) will be a good call. If you're lacking quad sweep, then you'll be using somersault squats, close-low foot placement leg presses and maybe even smith sissy squats.

OVerall, though, variety is a good thing for putting on size in general, as the activation patterns will differ, ensuring you're not spreading the stimulus love all about the muscle(s) you're training.

Simple example: Doing ONLY incline pressing would be a good way to bring up a weak upper chest, but not the best way for overall chest (pec) development.

-S
-Scott