Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
So far I understand I will eat 2700 kcal daily during IC per day because I eat it same 2700 kcal on training days during Blast of FT, right?
(03-14-2015, 07:08 AM)Hakan Çelik Wrote: So far I understand I will eat 2700 kcal daily during IC per day because I eat it same 2700 kcal on training days during Blast of FT, right?

You could do that.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-14-2015, 05:32 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You got it!

You're doing a really nice job of taking advantage of a program like FT. The template is there and creates structure for piecing together the training system that works for you, personally. FT is just a safety net holding the pieces together in one confined place, whereas you are the one who has to "compose" the puzzle.

Smile

-S

Thanks!! It's exactly why I love the system so much. Just enough guidance to keep my nutty head from getting too off track, but enough freedom to make it personal. Can't ask for much better than that!!

As to our previous topic about going lower carb and then a training session. I upped my calories the last day and I had a much better training session right out of the gate today. I think it also helps that I'm a little deeper into my IC at this point. But things felt locked in and ready to roll. Thanks once again as always for the guidance. I'll make sure to make note of our discussion, and whenever I start to try and cut and adjust accordingly!
(03-06-2015, 10:44 PM)Altamir Wrote: 2. My chest has just died at the end of both blasts. Last 2 weeks or so progress on loading lifts seem to stall a bit, muscle rounds gains seem to continue but slow a bit. Then final day they regress. By the end of the intensive cruise they are good to go and keep moving forward again. Should I try and run chest at a lower volume tier? or this is just as intended from the program and I'm over reaching as designed? No other body part is doing this. Chest is still growing so its not a major issue.

This is interesting. I had the exact same experience with chest over my last 2 blasts (chest just dying near the end of the blast, but really only on loading sets - by dying I mean NOT getting more reps, or even getting 1 LESS rep than the previous attempt). Muscle rounds for chest were still generally grinding higher on just about every pressing exercise. I actually experimented with training chest tier 1 for pump sets (I tend to go HARD (ie. make them GLORIOUSwinkie) on pump sets - and chest is one muscle that I really can nail on say a pec fly machine), but that didn't really seem to help at all. I also tried putting a day in between loading days (ie. Monday/Wednesday rather than Monday/Tuesday) and this didn't seem to make any difference either. Other loading lifts such as Rack Deads, barbell row, weighted pullups, and even most shoulder pressing exercises I am still progressing on.

A few things that I suspect are contributing to chest: for a period of time, I had a hip injury on my left leg, so took about 2 blasts off of any squatting/leg pressing. I basically just did pump sets for legs using various leg extension machines and it got progressively better over time. During this period of time, all of my pressing movements increased very nicely (Flat BB, Incline BB, and Decline BB). So my numbers were moving up basically at 5lbs per cycle of that particular loading exercise (which for me with chest, is VERY satisfying progress) and I was able to add some nice numbers to each lift. Over the last 2 blasts, I was able to get back into squatting for Loading sets since my hip healed up, and worked in BB squat, Hack squat (the variation where you face the pads/inward), and Smith squats with feet placed slightly further forward (the smith is angled). I've never had a problem with leg strength/development relative to the rest of my body, so all of my squat loading exercises are already higher than they were before I had the hip injury, however, since I've added the squats back, all chest gains (on loading sets) have ground to a halt. (Back and shoulders have been progressing, however). Granted they ground to a halt at those higher numbers from when my hip was injured, but literally no progress on these since squatting again.

I also got a standing desk at work in December (which helped a ton with my hip issue), however, I have bumped up calories and the scale has been moving. I have gone from about 240 to just shy of 250 over the last 2 blasts, and definitely see quality mass gains (esp. side delts and lats, both areas I really focused hard on), so I'm not entirely sure it's a caloric issue.

My thoughts on working around this are:

1. Change upper body loading to do isolation exercises first (I think there is a large psychological factor involved here too for me, knowing that I need to beat the previous week, and have been struggling to do it - kind of a defeated mindset going in). Like Scott says, that way I can kind of reset the log book.
2. Possibly toss out one or more of the barbell exercises (likely decline as sometimes it can tweak my shoulder) to give myself a mental break from having to beat a loading set on a barbell each week.
3. Train legs at tier 1 (this I have been doing already, and legs are progressing nicely).

Other notes: I generally train at Tier 2 basic, sometimes upping to Tier 3 for the last 2 weeks to over reach. This last blast I did tier 2 up to week 4, then Tier 2 turbo for weeks 5 and 6 (which I absolutely LOVED!).

Does this seem like a logical solution, or is there something that I'm missing here?

(03-15-2015, 02:33 AM)Altamir Wrote: Thanks!! It's exactly why I love the system so much. Just enough guidance to keep my nutty head from getting too off track, but enough freedom to make it personal. Can't ask for much better than that!!

As to our previous topic about going lower carb and then a training session. I upped my calories the last day and I had a much better training session right out of the gate today. I think it also helps that I'm a little deeper into my IC at this point. But things felt locked in and ready to roll. Thanks once again as always for the guidance. I'll make sure to make note of our discussion, and whenever I start to try and cut and adjust accordingly!

Excellent! Glad to see you found a solution. Very nice. Smile

(03-15-2015, 05:53 AM)Foodpumps Wrote: This is interesting. I had the exact same experience with chest over my last 2 blasts (chest just dying near the end of the blast, but really only on loading sets - by dying I mean NOT getting more reps, or even getting 1 LESS rep than the previous attempt). Muscle rounds for chest were still generally grinding higher on just about every pressing exercise. I actually experimented with training chest tier 1 for pump sets (I tend to go HARD (ie. make them GLORIOUSwinkie) on pump sets - and chest is one muscle that I really can nail on say a pec fly machine), but that didn't really seem to help at all. I also tried putting a day in between loading days (ie. Monday/Wednesday rather than Monday/Tuesday) and this didn't seem to make any difference either. Other loading lifts such as Rack Deads, barbell row, weighted pullups, and even most shoulder pressing exercises I am still progressing on.

A few things that I suspect are contributing to chest: for a period of time, I had a hip injury on my left leg, so took about 2 blasts off of any squatting/leg pressing. I basically just did pump sets for legs using various leg extension machines and it got progressively better over time. During this period of time, all of my pressing movements increased very nicely (Flat BB, Incline BB, and Decline BB). So my numbers were moving up basically at 5lbs per cycle of that particular loading exercise (which for me with chest, is VERY satisfying progress) and I was able to add some nice numbers to each lift. Over the last 2 blasts, I was able to get back into squatting for Loading sets since my hip healed up, and worked in BB squat, Hack squat (the variation where you face the pads/inward), and Smith squats with feet placed slightly further forward (the smith is angled). I've never had a problem with leg strength/development relative to the rest of my body, so all of my squat loading exercises are already higher than they were before I had the hip injury, however, since I've added the squats back, all chest gains (on loading sets) have ground to a halt. (Back and shoulders have been progressing, however). Granted they ground to a halt at those higher numbers from when my hip was injured, but literally no progress on these since squatting again.

I also got a standing desk at work in December (which helped a ton with my hip issue), however, I have bumped up calories and the scale has been moving. I have gone from about 240 to just shy of 250 over the last 2 blasts, and definitely see quality mass gains (esp. side delts and lats, both areas I really focused hard on), so I'm not entirely sure it's a caloric issue.

1. Change upper body loading to do isolation exercises first (I think there is a large psychological factor involved here too for me, knowing that I need to beat the previous week, and have been struggling to do it - kind of a defeated mindset going in). Like Scott says, that way I can kind of reset the log book.
2. Possibly toss out one or more of the barbell exercises (likely decline as sometimes it can tweak my shoulder) to give myself a mental break from having to beat a loading set on a barbell each week.
3. Train legs at tier 1 (this I have been doing already, and legs are progressing nicely).

Other notes: I generally train at Tier 2 basic, sometimes upping to Tier 3 for the last 2 weeks to over reach. This last blast I did tier 2 up to week 4, then Tier 2 turbo for weeks 5 and 6 (which I absolutely LOVED!).

Does this seem like a logical solution, or is there something that I'm missing here?

Those are all great tactics, IMO. Knowing your training history, I'm totally cool with you mixing up Tiers as the above to see what works best for you personally. It would be silly for me to try to dictate that you not deviate when you're not making gains when following the program as set out in it original format.

A few general thoughts:

The Loading set exercises are to be rotated through until one plateaus, after which you'd drop them. If, for instance re-ordering ISO versus Compound exercises still doesn't restart progression, then it could be time to pick a new exercise to put in the Loading set rotation.

Loading sets exercises are to be your own personal "go to" exercise for training heavy and putting on size. It may just be that for chest, for instance, that using a very non-traditional "compound" exercise may be what works best for you (is your "go to" exercise). This might mean using DB's to to a press-fly (press up, fly down) or even doing a cable press of some sort.

Strength gains in different exercises simply may not follow the same relative course. Stan Efferding, for instance - one of the strongest guys to power lift - really didn't increase his Deadlift much at all during the course of his lifting career (or at least he said in an interview in the past year or so).

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-15-2015, 05:53 AM)Foodpumps Wrote: This is interesting. I had the exact same experience with chest over my last 2 blasts (chest just dying near the end of the blast, but really only on loading sets - by dying I mean NOT getting more reps, or even getting 1 LESS rep than the previous attempt). Muscle rounds for chest were still generally grinding higher on just about every pressing exercise. I actually experimented with training chest tier 1 for pump sets (I tend to go HARD (ie. make them GLORIOUSwinkie) on pump sets - and chest is one muscle that I really can nail on say a pec fly machine), but that didn't really seem to help at all. I also tried putting a day in between loading days (ie. Monday/Wednesday rather than Monday/Tuesday) and this didn't seem to make any difference either. Other loading lifts such as Rack Deads, barbell row, weighted pullups, and even most shoulder pressing exercises I am still progressing on.

Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. One thing I touched on before that post and you did not in yours was stretching. How aggressively are you stretching your chest? By the end of the first blast I had gotten REALLY good at the weighted chest stretch and was doing to far to often. I was in love though, I would be incredibly sore and I was growing like I hadn't in a long time. It eventually took its toll and I came very close to severely regressing my first blast. 2nd blast I tried to be more intelligent about its placement, and it seemed to help.

Let me know what you try and what seems to work for you. And I'll do the same (either here or in my log, probably both). I'm nowhere near as advanced as you are, but I am also going to try iso before compound and see if that helps. I am also going to increase the variety of my chest muscle rounds. I think this may be an individual thing (right down to the muscle group). For my previous blast I did a total of 4 different lifts for my shoulders (for both loading, and MRs, different stuff for pump) and never saw better progress. Chest from blast 1 to blast 2 I added a few different MRs and saw some progress there. I'm going to add at least 3 or 4 more for my 3rd. Give the muscle more time before coming back to a lift to see if that will help stave off the stalling. Good luck!
Scott thank you for your feedback for my quote. I'm getting really bigger and stronger but I want to lose my belly fat. Please help
Good question...I stretch chest VERY aggressively for the same reasons you mentioned. This is one stretch that I feel more than almost any other stretch. I do weighted DB fly stretch after every chest training session. I could see that being a factor as well, so I'm glad you mentioned it, since I hadn't considered that at all in terms of overall stimulus.

As far as MR's, I do a TON of variation there, and that helps me with progression as well. I started out with about 3 or 4 main exercises, but now I have about 10 or so that I can rotate through. I also try to not come back to a lift for rounds within 3 or 4 weeks, and have found that that helps with overall progression (probably also why chest MR's still seem to grind higher even though loading sets are stalling). With Tier 2, I started out doing 2 pressing movements, but have since switched to a press and then a fly for my 2 chest exercises.

I'll keep you posted on the loading sets and let you know if it works for me. Good luck to you as well!

(03-15-2015, 10:50 PM)Altamir Wrote: Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. One thing I touched on before that post and you did not in yours was stretching. How aggressively are you stretching your chest? By the end of the first blast I had gotten REALLY good at the weighted chest stretch and was doing to far to often. I was in love though, I would be incredibly sore and I was growing like I hadn't in a long time. It eventually took its toll and I came very close to severely regressing my first blast. 2nd blast I tried to be more intelligent about its placement, and it seemed to help.

Let me know what you try and what seems to work for you. And I'll do the same (either here or in my log, probably both). I'm nowhere near as advanced as you are, but I am also going to try iso before compound and see if that helps. I am also going to increase the variety of my chest muscle rounds. I think this may be an individual thing (right down to the muscle group). For my previous blast I did a total of 4 different lifts for my shoulders (for both loading, and MRs, different stuff for pump) and never saw better progress. Chest from blast 1 to blast 2 I added a few different MRs and saw some progress there. I'm going to add at least 3 or 4 more for my 3rd. Give the muscle more time before coming back to a lift to see if that will help stave off the stalling. Good luck!
(03-15-2015, 10:57 PM)Hakan Çelik Wrote: Scott thank you for your feedback for my quote. I'm getting really bigger and stronger but I want to lose my belly fat. Please help

You'll have to diet and produce a caloric deficit to lose fat, Hakan.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for the input and ideas Scott! I have that stubborn old school mindset of "you have to do free weights for loading for chest and shoulders no matter what" so I have been reluctant to dump them. I'm going to try the change with putting the ISO movement first and see if it helps, and if not, be much more reactive this time to dropping those exercises and swapping in something else.

(03-15-2015, 07:35 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Those are all great tactics, IMO. Knowing your training history, I'm totally cool with you mixing up Tiers as the above to see what works best for you personally. It would be silly for me to try to dictate that you not deviate when you're not making gains when following the program as set out in it original format.

A few general thoughts:

The Loading set exercises are to be rotated through until one plateaus, after which you'd drop them. If, for instance re-ordering ISO versus Compound exercises still doesn't restart progression, then it could be time to pick a new exercise to put in the Loading set rotation.

Loading sets exercises are to be your own personal "go to" exercise for training heavy and putting on size. It may just be that for chest, for instance, that using a very non-traditional "compound" exercise may be what works best for you (is your "go to" exercise). This might mean using DB's to to a press-fly (press up, fly down) or even doing a cable press of some sort.

Strength gains in different exercises simply may not follow the same relative course. Stan Efferding, for instance - one of the strongest guys to power lift - really didn't increase his Deadlift much at all during the course of his lifting career (or at least he said in an interview in the past year or so).

-S