Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(08-09-2015, 10:57 PM)Pumped340 Wrote: That's how I felt about MD training as well. A lot of fluff work, still hard but seemed to lack emphasis on progressive overload on heavy compounds and I really got no where with it after 4 months. A competitor friend of mine felt the same way.

I assume this is the link you're referring to Blue Collar Radio with Shelby Starnes (8-7-15) Special Guest Dr Scott Stevenson! going to give it a listen Smile

That's the one!!! Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
When it comes to lagging bodyparts, would it make sense to progressively add volume for these bodyparts only while staying at tier 1 for the others? In my case, my chest and arms really need some growth. Shoulders are nice and round, proportional, back is very wide, thighs are big (this is all relative for ME of course). For example, I have 28" thighs, a 50" chest measurement (mostly from my back) but then 18" arms. So could i progress through a blast taking my chest and arms up to tiers 2 and 3 over time but leaving the other bodyparts at tier 1?
(08-12-2015, 09:54 AM)firedawg0108 Wrote: When it comes to lagging bodyparts, would it make sense to progressively add volume for these bodyparts only while staying at tier 1 for the others? In my case, my chest and arms really need some growth. Shoulders are nice and round, proportional, back is very wide, thighs are big (this is all relative for ME of course). For example, I have 28" thighs, a 50" chest measurement (mostly from my back) but then 18" arms. So could i progress through a blast taking my chest and arms up to tiers 2 and 3 over time but leaving the other bodyparts at tier 1?

I've covered this in the course of this thread (a few times now), but I'd put that option down the list for now. Here are some things you can do with FT.

Put isolation exercise first on Chest loading sets.
Do Chest Loading sets first.

You're probably a "delt presser" meaning you use anterior delts to a large extend on chest pressing movements. Focus your MR's on exercises that isolate you pec.

Pec Deck push press
DB press fly (press up, fly down)
Hex Presses
Pec dec movement.
Low Incline scoop flies
Cable Cross-overs
Etc.

---------------

Work within the program, too for arm exercise selection. Your delts are already a strong point, so focus on OH pressing to add some extra work for the triceps.

Choose triceps and biceps exercises that create a deep (safe stretch): OH triceps extension, seated DB biceps curls (incline bench), unilateral cable curls with a Free motion machine set up with the weight pulling from behind you just a bit. Drag curls

-------------

Use the pump sets to brutalize yourself, too. (You can even log what you're using here so you can come back and test yourself now and again with the same exercises and pump set techniques.) Make sure you're creating an occlusion effect on these, too - continuous reps the entire time.

Overall, find the exercises that hit your lagging muscle groups in ways you've not and make sure you're focused on not calling on other muscles to help move the weight.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi Scott,
I'm 54 and been at this lifting stuff a long time. Several surgeries over the years (back twice, shoulder), but have always been able to bounce back. FT has been a godsend in self regulation and changing stimulus in an orderly way to avoid excessive joint pain. I'm into my 4th blast and the program is almost too good as my strength is rising on almost every lift. Problem is as my leg strength is going up, my knees are aching. I can handle moderate loads on various leg movements but heavier stuff leaves me aching. My thoughts were to raise my load reps to 20-25 and change MR's to 6x8. I have tried pre exhaust super sets of leg ext and leg curl but not sure of effect over the long haul. I want to keep progressing but at my stage of the game, I need to protect my knees. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.
(08-15-2015, 09:50 PM)Lawman Wrote: Hi Scott,
I'm 54 and been at this lifting stuff a long time. Several surgeries over the years (back twice, shoulder), but have always been able to bounce back. FT has been a godsend in self regulation and changing stimulus in an orderly way to avoid excessive joint pain. I'm into my 4th blast and the program is almost too good as my strength is rising on almost every lift. Problem is as my leg strength is going up, my knees are aching. I can handle moderate loads on various leg movements but heavier stuff leaves me aching. My thoughts were to raise my load reps to 20-25 and change MR's to 6x8. I have tried pre exhaust super sets of leg ext and leg curl but not sure of effect over the long haul. I want to keep progressing but at my stage of the game, I need to protect my knees. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you.

Thanks for posting this up here, man.

So now I've got people complaining that FT has made them too strong... Oh Jeez.... LOL

JUST KIDDING!!!!

What part of your knee hurts? Deep in the joint, some part(s) of the joint or around the joint, or under the patella?

Do you have a medical or self-diagnosis for this pain?...

What have you been doing to reduce the pain / treat it?...

Do you have prior knee injuries?

What makes it worse and what makes it better (other than rotating exercises / stimuli and not going to heavy)?...

Smile

-S
-Scott

LOL.... Let's not get carried away. An old fart going up in weight a little isn't a four alarm fire! Quick hx, never had knee pains through years of heavy (for me) squatting. Now, pain seems to be right where vastus lateralis and medialis attach at knee. My amateur Dx is tendonitis. No pain under patella or at sides of knee. The more warmup the better. No crepitus. The more weight I use the more I notice. Have not had MRI but don't believe any tear. No swelling. I use bio freeze before training ( hell, my wife says I bathe in that crap), use knee sleeves which help. Lighter weights has made it better. My legs and knees can still handle intense work. It's the heavier loads that present the problem. I ain't ready for the pasture yet. What do you think? Thank you.
(08-15-2015, 11:06 PM)Lawman Wrote: LOL.... Let's not get carried away. An old fart going up in weight a little isn't a four alarm fire! Quick hx, never had knee pains through years of heavy (for me) squatting. Now, pain seems to be right where vastus lateralis and medialis attach at knee. My amateur Dx is tendonitis. No pain under patella or at sides of knee. The more warmup the better. No crepitus. The more weight I use the more I notice. Have not had MRI but don't believe any tear. No swelling. I use bio freeze before training ( hell, my wife says I bathe in that crap), use knee sleeves which help. Lighter weights has made it better. My legs and knees can still handle intense work. It's the heavier loads that present the problem. I ain't ready for the pasture yet. What do you think? Thank you.

Both knees?

Yes, sounds like it could be patellar tendonitis.

Have you figured out what exercises make it worse or which ones (if any) don't cause as much pain?...

Have you tried kwan loong oil (instead of biofreeze)? Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Peace-Loong...B000Y1S94E

-S
-Scott

Squating type movements are toughest when the weights get higher. Slower negatives with squats let me get to full depth with moderate weights fairly pain free. Leg press isn't as bad. I have a power tech squat machine that I can change the angle of the squat by pushing my butt out which relieves some of the ache. Extensions don't hurt as long as I warm up and move with a two second, none explosive contraction. Never even heard of that oil but will order it up for a trial run. Do I use it just before training like bio freeze or more often? Does it have healing qualities or just pain relief? Anyway, any training tweaks would be most appreciated. Thanks for the help.
(08-16-2015, 01:37 PM)Lawman Wrote: Squating type movements are toughest when the weights get higher. Slower negatives with squats let me get to full depth with moderate weights fairly pain free. Leg press isn't as bad. I have a power tech squat machine that I can change the angle of the squat by pushing my butt out which relieves some of the ache. Extensions don't hurt as long as I warm up and move with a two second, none explosive contraction. Never even heard of that oil but will order it up for a trial run. Do I use it just before training like bio freeze or more often? Does it have healing qualities or just pain relief? Anyway, any training tweaks would be most appreciated. Thanks for the help.

You'd put the KL oil on before training, under a neoprene sleeve and then re-dose during a workout. You can dose daily for 20-30min to minimize pain, but I'd not want to see someone using it chronically to keep pain low. It has both anti-inflammatory and blood circulating properties.

You'd want to go see an herbalist to get a plaster for healing purposes, IMO, if you can't treat it otherwise. Sometime like a dog skin plaster.'

Are your quad particularly tight? I'd bet that gaining flexibility there, especially in the rectus femurs (as well as other hip flexors) would help here.

You'll have to avoid the stuff that hurts. Extensive stretching before training may relive pain during these exercise, TBH. Smile

-S
-Scott

(08-16-2015, 01:44 PM)Pumped340 Wrote: Hey Scott have you seen any negative implications from having fat content so high? Especially the non-training days where one could be eating 200+ grams of fat per day if sticking with the stricter FT principles.

I guess one would have to compare those implications to those from having insulin raised constantly with a higher carb intake...

You may need to add fiber to your diet if you're not big on veggies.

Check out the inuit diet (inuit paradox) for more on this, e.g., this article:

The History of All-Meat Diets - Diagnosis: Diet

-S
-Scott