Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beating numbers
OK, So currently in week 4 of my first blast using FT. Yesterday was the first attempt at beating previous numbers from wk 1.

For quad we used a H/S plated loaded leg ext. I hit 90k for 12 on wk 1 and managed 100k for 9 on wk 4 (yesterday).

So I was just wondering when increasing weight obviously numbers will drop but how do I guage my progression. ie. If I was to hit 150k Squat for 12 then manage only 6 for 160k Would that still be classed as progression?

As the reps have dropped by half for only a 10k increase in weight.

I understand if im hitting a 6 then the following workout I can keep the same weight and try and beat my previous reps. Its just when I get ready to increase weights whats a good weight to rep ratio for progression.

Hope this makes sense.

Lol Big Grin Big Grin
I wouldn't worry about the reps when you've increased the weight. Now that you are at the lower end of the rep range, shoot for increasing the reps each time you do that exercise until you get to the high end and when you do you increase the weight and start over.

Gauging top end strength by using reps is hard and I often find, inaccurate.

So if you use 300 pounds for squats and get 7 reps, next time through you get 9, then 12, then the next time you squat go to 320.
(02-09-2016, 10:31 PM)Steedee Wrote: OK, So currently in week 4 of my first blast using FT. Yesterday was the first attempt at beating previous numbers from wk 1.

For quad we used a H/S plated loaded leg ext. I hit 90k for 12 on wk 1 and managed 100k for 9 on wk 4 (yesterday).

So I was just wondering when increasing weight obviously numbers will drop but how do I guage my progression. ie. If I was to hit 150k Squat for 12 then manage only 6 for 160k Would that still be classed as progression?

As the reps have dropped by half for only a 10k increase in weight.

I understand if im hitting a 6 then the following workout I can keep the same weight and try and beat my previous reps. Its just when I get ready to increase weights whats a good weight to rep ratio for progression.

Hope this makes sense.

Lol Big Grin Big Grin

Dens gave a great answer, but I want to clarify a few things.

For loading sets, your main focus of progress is the compound set, not the isolation movement.

So, while that's a good movement for the knee extension, what's more important is what you did for your compound thigh exercise that day.

-------

Also you mention a squat. I think you are talking hypothetically here to gain understanding. (You use, i.e., which stands for "that is." You'd used that when you are restating what happened. "E.g." would be used to give an example, as when presenting something hypothetically. )

If you were to go from 150kg x 12 to 160kg x 6, I'd not consider that a progression, generally speaking, all other things being equal.

-----------

Again, Dens addressed progression really well. I'll just add that if you don't progress each and every time, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Make note if you can tell why you might have had a bad day. (Poor sleep, missed meal or what have you) and give it another go before changing exercises or changing the order of exercises when zig-zagging.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Perfect answers. Thanks guys.

Scott, yup I was talking hypothetically with the squats.

Being the first blast its just a case of finding correct weights etc.

I will say though. Absolutely loving FT. Really am.

Thanks again.
(02-10-2016, 02:49 AM)Steedee Wrote: Perfect answers. Thanks guys.

Scott, yup I was talking hypothetically with the squats.

Being the first blast its just a case of finding correct weights etc.

I will say though. Absolutely loving FT. Really am.

Thanks again.

Good to hear!

I really think that there are obviously various ways of training that can be very productive, but I'd bank on the one that you really want to pour yourself into being a good bet. Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Oh for sure. I feel its more of a thinking mans system. Enables you to create and personalise it to your strengths and weaknesses. Ive noticed im starting to feel more exhausted now also which ties in nicely with my cruise which will start after next week.

Although we are making great progress my body will certainly welcome the break.

[emoji4]
(02-12-2016, 03:44 AM)Steedee Wrote: Oh for sure. I feel its more of a thinking mans system. Enables you to create and personalise it to your strengths and weaknesses. Ive noticed im starting to feel more exhausted now also which ties in nicely with my cruise which will start after next week.

Although we are making great progress my body will certainly welcome the break.

[emoji4]

Glad you're making good progress. Hopefully "more exhausted" doesn't mean you're routinely feeling exhausted... Sad

-S
-Scott

(02-12-2016, 07:49 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Glad you're making good progress. Hopefully "more exhausted" doesn't mean you're routinely feeling exhausted... Sad

-S
Ha. No scott. Just finding that I need more sleep than I did pre FT.

My body is telling me that its almost time to cruise which I feel is a good indication that ive been hitting the desired intensity.
(02-12-2016, 08:41 AM)Steedee Wrote: Ha. No scott. Just finding that I need more sleep than I did pre FT.

My body is telling me that its almost time to cruise which I feel is a good indication that ive been hitting the desired intensity.

Good man! Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott