Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just started...looking for critique
Hi, I'm new to the board but long time meathead and competitor.
Ive always been a fan and believer in low volume high intensity and frequency when possible. I respect Dr. Scott's work in the field/ industry and was excited to implement this programming and love the science its backed by.
I just competed last weekend and have been gearing up for about a month to embark on this new training style once the show was over.
I took about 6 days off

Then started here....
Basic Tier 1

Day 1 UB load/LB pump
A1 Incline cable fly
A2 Low incline BB
B1 Decline DB pullover
B2 Hammer strength chest supported row
seated DB press 11 reps

lying leg curl 28 reps
leg press 25 reps
Calf

Day off

Day 2 LB Load/UB pump
GHG x8 reps
Spin bike 30 secs maximal tension (dont ask, 8 knee surgeries no cartilage)
Leg press 14 reps (too light)
adductor
calf

A1 incline machine press 23 reps
A2 Hammer Strength lat 24 reps
B1 side laterals 23 reps
B2 hanging abs 24 reps
C1 low cable bicep curl 26 reps
C2 rope pushdowns 29 reps

Some thoughts I have thus far:
1-I'm EXTREMELY surprised how this gets the heart rate up. I have heard Dr. Scott talk about that component but did not believe it. I train very fast normally and most partners can't keep up.
2-I get a pretty amazing total body pump
3-I feel like it hit it hard, but don't feel trashed afterwards
4-I want to go to tier 2 but I will give this at least a week or so. I definitely could use some extra recovery from the 20 weeks of prep I just had!!

I'd love to hear if this template looks good so far.
Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ccohen for this post:
  • Scott Stevenson
Gonna let some of the esteemed board members have a shot here.

I'll just note that you might want to mention a bit more detail (why and which exercises) you have planned for Loading Sets. Smile (Much of the programmatic, repetitive structure is found there.)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Here are my proposed exercises of choice. Generally, I need work on my upper chest/chest, arms, and hamstrings.

LB Load
A B C
Thigh Leg press Squat Trap Deads
Quad Spin bike Front squat Bulgarian split squat
Hamstrings GHG seated curls lying curls
Adductor machine
Calf Standing Donkey standing

UB Pump
A1 Chest (cables, fly machine, incline Hammer, flat hammer, push ups rings)
A2 back (hammer pulldown, pulldown, seated hammer row)
B1 Shoulder (db press, side laterals, rear delts)
B2 abs (leg raises)
C1 Bi (low cable single or double arm curl, preacher machine)
C2 Tri (rope, ez bar pushdown, dips)

UB Load
A B C
Chest Iso Low incline Cables DB flye w/band machine flye
Chest Compound Incline BB Low incline DB Flat DB or BB
Back thick deads Bb rows T bar row
Back width Hammer pulldown Pull ups Pull down variations
Delts Behind neck press DB press Seated military

LB Pump
Hamstring (seated or lying curls)
Thigh (squats, leg press, walking lunges)
Calf standing
Hey welcome aboard! Overall things look pretty good!

I can't really comment on the spin bike or knees issues. Though I'm sure they are a major pain for you. Looks like you are trying to do hamstring and quad stuff first and then thigh stuff last to help out? I think that's a great idea.

As far as your lifts go, the two that really stick out to me to think about is Front Squats for Quads Loading, and lunges for thigh pump. If that is your ONLY option I imagine front squats could work, but personally that's a little bit too much of a compound lift for quad isolation (or maybe I'm just a wienie).

Reason you may want to give walking lunges another look is that there is going to be zero occlusion effect as you work, since you'll be walking, the muscle will be under stress, and then not under stress. I'd focus your pump lifts more towards lifts that you can not only sustain continuously to failure, but also past failure.

As far as your program, for tier 1 looks like you've got a chest isolation lift in there, should be one compound lift only. Smile (See page 134 in the book)

As you get accustomed and acclimated to the program, I'd suggest start to extend and play with your pump sets more. I have a few body parts that respond very well to just straight sets but for the most part I get a lot more out of adding partials, tempo changes, iso holds, etc etc to extend the set. It's fun, painful, and productive.

Looking good so far! Let me know if you have any questions! Smile