Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knee Injury
(03-11-2020, 12:34 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

I can't really give you any medical advice, esp,. regarding the use of prescription drugs or research chems, partly b/c I can't (and no one can really) come up with a concrete diagnosis online (nor is it legal to do).

You're definitely on the right track getting it looked at professionally.

As far as training goes, even this is a bit iffy. It's great that there's not swelling - definitely a good sign! - but your injury might require joint fixation or could possibly be exacerbated by trying to get in the gym and go to town doing upper body only or training the contralateral leg. (A cross-training effect does apply, so if you're medically cleared to do so, training the other leg is a great idea.)

So, I'd get a FIRM diagnosis ASAP, see what you're cleared to do and proceed with training as best you can.

As an example, I have a buddy who had a pec tear surgically re-attached and decided against doctors orders to go right into the gym and train the unaffected side. Co-contractions while training the good limb were so strong that he ended up undoing his repair and had to go back in for surgery. The same kind of thing could be possible here...

(Imagine you're doing a lat pulldown and inadvertently use the affected leg to stabilize under the thigh pads and end up making the injury worse... Sad )

If you end up doing very much upper body oriented training, this could bee a good chance to bring up your upper body / weaker muscle groups there, as you'll not be using up recovery resources training legs (as much)...

-S

Thank you for all of this!

I think more than anything, the biggest problem being a bodybuilder is that nutty mentality of "keep going" rather than pulling back at certain times. Much better to hear this from someone wiser than myself.

Thanks again Scott!

Messages In This Thread
Knee Injury - by thethinker48 - 03-10-2020, 10:35 PM
RE: Knee Injury - by Scott Stevenson - 03-11-2020, 12:34 AM
RE: Knee Injury - by thethinker48 - 03-11-2020, 03:12 AM
RE: Knee Injury - by Scott Stevenson - 03-11-2020, 12:42 PM
RE: Knee Injury - by thethinker48 - 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM
RE: Knee Injury - by Scott Stevenson - 03-27-2020, 12:13 PM
RE: Knee Injury - by thethinker48 - 03-28-2020, 10:12 AM
RE: Knee Injury - by Scott Stevenson - 03-28-2020, 10:57 PM