Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restarting FT after "years" of no training
(06-29-2020, 07:38 PM)Rich.A Wrote: Hi Scott, Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that you were able to successfuly train whilst completing your PhD, it gives me some hope.

It certainly can be done, but I really had to MAKE time. I lost sleep to do so, but it was worth it all n' all.

Quote:My PhD is a mix between biomechanics and physiology. In essence, i'm investigating accentuated eccentric loading (AEL) in a squat, the first study was looking at the force-velocity relationship (as most research either focuses only the concentric side, or is a single joint model), we are hoping to publish this in the next month or so. Study 2 has been looking at the hip/knee/ankle joint moments of the concentric & eccentric phase of traditional squatting and AEL squatting. The next studies will then look at the acute/chronic responses to AEL squatting, and the changes in strength/hypertrophy/performance.

I'm VERY interested in this. Do you have any pilot work published (e.g., a proceedings abstract or what have you)?...

I'm guessing you're familiar with this work:

1. Dudley GA, Harris RT, Duvoisin MR, Hather BM, and Buchanan P. Effect of voluntary vs. artificial activation on the relationship of muscle torque to speed. Journal of applied physiology 69: 2215-2221, 1990. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2077019
2. Tesch PA, Dudley GA, Duvoisin MR, Hather BM, and Harris RT. Force and EMG signal patterns during repeated bouts of concentric or eccentric muscle actions. Acta Physiol Scand 138: 263-271, 1990.
3. Hather BM, Tesch PA, Buchanan P, and Dudley GA. Influence of eccentric actions on skeletal muscle adaptations to resistance training. Acta Physiol Scand 143: 177-185, 1991.

(And this more recent one: 1. Pain MTG, Young F, Kim J, and Forrester SE. The torque-velocity relationship in large human muscles: Maximum voluntary versus electrically stimulated behaviour. Journal of Biomechanics 46: 645-650, 2013. )

Gary Dudley was my mentor for my PhD.

Quote:-

In terms of what i want to do, competing does not interest me anymore (although i did want to in the past). Mainly, i want to build a physique that is maintainable year round, i want to enjoy training training, and a part of that is knowing that i am on the best path to maximizing my time in the gym. I think i realise i have to be a lot more organised if i want to achieve this.

I was all about maintenance when in school. Eating to gain would have put me in a carb coma (which is partly why I did and experimented so much with a low carb dieting).

Quote:-

I completely agree with what you said re: starting with a full body and increase volume slightly over time, i would then focus on maximizing recovery.

I have reread FT as well as reading a lot of stuff by Jordan Peters, and looking at the general structure of how both of you seem to program.

I will probably set up my plan to be: Heavy Lower/Light Upper, Heavy Upper/Light Lower etc. with exercises focusing on: Hamstring, Thigh, Calf, Chest, Delt, Back Width, Back Thickness.

1 Set per exercise (2 for calfs), 6-10 reps for heavy, 15+ reps for light. Progress in volume (if needed) over 8-12 weeks. Then slowly transition over to a FT style of training 3x per week.

Sounds like a solid plan and also one you can adjust depending on circumstances. Smile

-S

-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Restarting FT after "years" of no training - by Scott Stevenson - 06-30-2020, 01:37 AM