Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for home gym
Hi All.

I'm looking to purchase a good quality Smith Machine for my home gym such as one of the following machines:

-- Cybex Smith Press (Vertical)
-- Hammer Strength Smith Press (Vertical)
-- Hammer Strength Smith Press (Angled)

I don't have a membership to a commercial gym. In fact the only time I've trained at a commercial gym is when I've been on vacation. Together with the lockdown here in the UK and being in the high risk category to COVID-19 (recovering from a cancer diagnosis) I have no chance of trying any of the above machines. Therefore I'm quite prepared to buy one without trying it out first - stupid I know !!!

The question is, would you purchase a traditional vertical machine (90-degrees) or one with an angled slant (7-degrees)?

Marketing literature would have you believe that angled machines promoted a more natural movement than vertical versions thereby reducing the risk of injury. Others would state that they see more shoulder and knee problems with the angled version and that Cybex had it right from the very beginning with their vertical smith press, hence other companies overcomplicating the situation.

Indeed on a vertical machine you would always face the same way. However exercises performed on an angled version, such as incline bench or decline bench, you would rotate the bench accordingly to suit the exercise. However racking the bar may prove more difficult when facing the opposite way.

A smith machine would be a great addition to my home gym and Fortitude Training. My home gym mainly consists of the following equipment:

-- Power Rack
-- Adjustable Bench
-- Lat Machine (High / Low Pulley)
-- Leg Extension / Seated Thigh Curl Machine
-- Hammer Strength Horizontal Leg Press
-- Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Leg Curl
-- Barbells & Dumbbells

I intend using the smith machine for various pressing movements, rows and squats. I understand that the angled version may be better for pressing movements but not all the other exercises.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. As you can understand I can only purchase one version.

Thanks, MJL

Messages In This Thread
Equipment for home gym - by ctascajr - 07-19-2020, 07:38 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by Scott Stevenson - 07-20-2020, 02:29 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by primeshredreviews - 12-29-2020, 09:49 PM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by MJL - 02-28-2021, 03:33 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by Scott Stevenson - 03-02-2021, 01:06 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by MJL - 03-06-2021, 09:22 PM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by Scott Stevenson - 03-08-2021, 02:32 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by agushartono - 07-17-2022, 02:03 AM
RE: Equipment for home gym - by NancyDorna - 02-16-2023, 09:00 PM