Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Upper lower FT split
(12-19-2021, 11:08 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

Thanks for the post.

There's not optimal frequency combination that will fit everyone: Distributing a given volume of training over fewer or greater days could be better for one person, but not the other.  OTOH, a given frequency might allow more or less training volume from which one could recover for different folks.

So, yes, there are potential advantages and disadvantages in changing frequency.  And "junk volume" is a possibility if one's trying to do to much on a given day (when the muscle is fatigued).  

(Check this podcast for some relevant science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGxhhVAygI)

What you're feeling just doesn't seem right could be due to several things, but if some part of that is that you sense you could / would be training harder and making better progress in terms of performance (weight and reps) then go with that, I would say, as a first principle.

The configuration that results in the best training progress is likely one that will give you some of the best muscle growth. This is not to say that volume overload (without noticeable performance enhancement) or other approaches that don't readily lend themselves to the log book can't be effective, but generally, for most / the average guy, I suspect most progress in trying to become really large will come from whatever approach results in progress in training loads (even if "progressive overload" is not the focus for that person), the one that makes him (or her) into the biggest bad ass in the gym.  Smile   Those are the big stones / meat n' potatoes and the can be served up in various ways.   (With Masterpiece BBQ sauce and fries, or with chips and with a pint of Ale.)

-S

Thanks for the reply Scott.

I really enjoyed that podcast. The dive into the individual responses from the Damas study was particularly interesting and is especially applicable in my current training ‘dilemma’. Time to make the adjustment to the program discussed above and see how it goes for me I think!

As you suggest, even if the benefit from moving the pump work to the load day of the same body part is purely an improvement in the way it ‘feels’ to me, if that results in me training harder, it’s probably a good thing. I’m mindful of deviating from the plan as it’s laid out, but have to be honest with myself in terms of how my current work commitments impact on training days.

Ps. Slightly off topic and just something that comes to mind from the discussion of training variety in the podcast (and just me thinking out loud really). With the different set types you have created, i imagine that even if an individual had a strong preference for once per week body part “bro split” style training for whatever reason, your fortitude training set types could be a very good way to build a session. For example, the chest day could look something like - Incline dumbbell press (loading set), flat machine press (muscle round) and cable fly (pump set). Your volume tier system could also be applied. This does run the risk of getting into the realms of junk volume I guess, but probably no more than what the typical “bro split” style trainers are currently doing anyway and at least this way, there is good variety in the stimulus type.

Cheers, Ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
Upper lower FT split - by Laurance gerard - 12-11-2021, 02:29 AM
RE: Upper lower FT split - by Scott Stevenson - 12-11-2021, 09:58 PM
Upper lower FT split - by Laurance gerard - 12-11-2021, 11:24 PM
RE: Upper lower FT split - by Scott Stevenson - 12-14-2021, 01:19 AM
Upper lower FT split - by Laurance gerard - 12-15-2021, 12:39 AM
RE: Upper lower FT split - by Scott Stevenson - 12-15-2021, 02:42 AM
Upper lower FT split - by powerhouse_ad - 12-19-2021, 03:03 AM
RE: Upper lower FT split - by Scott Stevenson - 12-19-2021, 11:08 AM
Upper lower FT split - by powerhouse_ad - 12-20-2021, 11:55 AM