Isokinetics, Excentrics and Hypertrophy
(11-14-2023, 03:01 AM)Stefan Wrote:

They updated software, but if remember correctly, they tagged these modes:

normal: dont remember

normal-adaptive : Hypertrophy

excentric-overloaded: Resilience

isokinetic:Max-Force

explosive: dont remember

Cool, but really doesn't say much about the nature of  the loading.  

and the standard-rotation was to to 6 workouts with increasing weights in one mode and then go the next.
yes, i only rotated between these two modes.

You wrote "i trained only excentric-overloaded and isokinetic because of real heavy excentric in both settings
And you also wrote: " Egym and cycled between excentric overloaded and isometric."

Eccentric and isokinetic or isometric?...   I think you meant isokinetic.

My experience was that the excrentic-phase ist the main cause of doms, f.e. i did slow excentric PullUps and Dips in the past and they hit hard on doms. But after doing very heavy excentrics on these machines with getting not much doms...
i trained only excentric-overloaded and isokinetic because of real heavy excentric in both settings
What we (or I) don't know is how "heavy" these are.  
In research studies using free weights ("isotonic") eccentric only protocols to study muscle injury / DOMS will employ 100% RM loads.   Ecc. only training on an isokinetic device truly allows maximal activation, as the machines overpower any ability of the trainees to slow the movement, so maximal voluntary activation during the eccentric is possibly for every rep.
Did these machine allow this?.. 

OK, but below you also say: " Egym and cycled between excentric overloaded and isometric."  (See also your first post.)

When we put exercises to the side, which we have not done for some time, and also big volume and intensity jumps, i can at least for me say: the main reason for Doms is the part around the Stretched. Not only the excrentic, the concentric also.

I bet if i do triceps-kicksbacks tomororrow, after not doing them for years, multiple hard sets, i will get nearly zero doms. If i do only the kickbacks for a month and then do multiple hard sets skullcrushers: sore.

OK for you, are you saying that only exercises that put the trained muscle under load in the stretched position produce DOMS? 

Are you saying that You can do any amount of maximal effort eccentric contractions on an exercise you've not become accustomed to / haven't done lately and, as long as the trained muscle is only training in the shortened portion of it's potential range of motion, you will get no muscle soreness?... 

(Sorry for asking questions repeatedly, but I'm having a hard time following what you're telling me here.)

And my questions is: If the above is correct, does this hold *regardless* of the mode of resistance exercise  (Machine, free weight, or any of these E-gym training modes)?

Yes, but specific-strength is not my goal, its hypertrophy, and

Roger that. 

In the end my test tells nearly nothing about hypertrophy gains, even if with before after dexa it would be difficult. It would have told me something if the normal lifting had also improved, but it didnt happen. So, experience of other lifters from a long term hypertrophy point would be really interesting.

There is a study where squat training improved quad muscle size, but did not increase knee extension strength, as that was not part of the training regime, so even with muscle growth, strength increases may not manifest across (resistance) training modes. 

It sounds like you'd have to go to the manufacturer (although I doubt they'll have much to tell you) to see what data they have to support their contentions / what they've called their training modes.

At least i got the contiuous restistance adaption with a very heavy start out of the isokinetic-mode, trying to implement this in normal lifting. I have done lots of dropsets in my training-life, but to start very heavy (>=80% 1RM) and dont rack when dropping Weight (help from others) is a different animal. Heavy Lifting, all effetive Reps, a really good pump and a great muscle feeling all in one set, wow.

That is a great way to do drop sets, I agree.  I try to do them that way when I've got a partner to train with. (Just the few seconds to move a pin or pull a couple plates does make a difference!)

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Isokinetics, Excentrics and Hypertrophy - by Scott Stevenson - 11-19-2023, 05:10 AM