Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combining sprint training with FT
Hi,

I'm looking for a good way to combine sprint training with Fortitude Training without overly impacting recovery and keeping a consistent weekly schedule. I've found that sprints are one of the best ways to train my glutes and hamstrings and it also helps my endurance in the gym. Which days during the week would be good choices to incorporate this?

I wouldn't be doing too much of it, just something along the lines of 5-10 sets of max intensity sprints for about 10-20 seconds each, ideally a couple times a week if possible.

Thanks!
(05-07-2019, 03:33 AM)weightsandplates Wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for a good way to combine sprint training with Fortitude Training without overly impacting recovery and keeping a consistent weekly schedule. I've found that sprints are one of the best ways to train my glutes and hamstrings and it also helps my endurance in the gym. Which days during the week would be good choices to incorporate this?

I wouldn't be doing too much of it, just something along the lines of 5-10 sets of max intensity sprints for about 10-20 seconds each, ideally a couple times a week if possible.

Thanks!

When you say sprints are one of the best ways to train your glutes and hamstrings, what is the purpose of this training?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(05-07-2019, 08:51 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: When you say sprints are one of the best ways to train your glutes and hamstrings, what is the purpose of this training?...

-S

It's multi-purpose, my main purpose in my overall training is hypertrophy and that applies to this training as well, but sprints give me the added benefits of improved work capacity in the gym and improved insulin sensitivity. But mainly I'd like to use it as an additional hypertrophy tool for the lower body (along with standard resistance training).

I've read some good articles by John Meadows about how high-intensity training is superior for body composition than steady-state cardio and sprinting is my preferred method of incorporating this.
(05-08-2019, 12:34 AM)weightsandplates Wrote: It's multi-purpose, my main purpose in my overall training is hypertrophy and that applies to this training as well, but sprints give me the added benefits of improved work capacity in the gym and improved insulin sensitivity. But mainly I'd like to use it as an additional hypertrophy tool for the lower body (along with standard resistance training).

How does this sprinting regime compare if you had to guess, to simply using the FT program as laid out in terms of glute and ham growth. How about when it comes to work capacity in a plan like this?...

It seems you're pretty certain that sprinting is a better(???) means of increasing size in those muscle groups than resistance training them?

How much have you been able to improve your insulin sensitivity using the sprinting compare to a high frequency regime like FT?...

Do you have a glycemic control issue?...

Quote:I've read some good articles by John Meadows about how high-intensity training is superior for body composition than steady-state cardio and sprinting is my preferred method of incorporating this.

So your goal now is to use this as a form of cardio to try to lose body fat (vs. a LISS approach)?...

Overall I'm seeing a goal(s) to gain muscle mass (specific to glutes and hams) and lose body fat simultaneously. Is this correct?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(05-08-2019, 08:19 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: So your goal now is to use this as a form of cardio to try to lose body fat (vs. a LISS approach)?...

Overall I'm seeing a goal(s) to gain muscle mass (specific to glutes and hams) and lose body fat simultaneously. Is this correct?...

-S

So no, I'm not trying to lose fat. I'm trying to build muscle and minimize the fat gain that comes along with the calorie surplus, that's what I meant by "improved body composition."

If my understanding of insulin signalling and glucose disposal is correct, insulin sensitivity should play a large role in the ratio of muscle:fat gain that you'd attain while bulking.

It's worth noting though that since I am returning to training after a long hiatus due to injury, body recomposition should not be out of the question in the short term.

(05-08-2019, 08:19 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: How does this sprinting regime compare if you had to guess, to simply using the FT program as laid out in terms of glute and ham growth. How about when it comes to work capacity in a plan like this?...

It seems you're pretty certain that sprinting is a better(???) means of increasing size in those muscle groups than resistance training them?

-S

I think you can achieve maximal hypertrophy from weights alone, I've just noticed that I get significant soreness in glutes and hamstrings from sprints. I think they can be part of a maximal hypertrophy regimen and I have other reasons to want to incorporate them.

However, in terms of work capacity, sprints are much more effective than weights alone in my experience. I'd like to be able to crank out 20 rep sets on squats but I always gas out way before I'm finished, unless I'm doing consistent high intensity training in my program.