Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on stretch for building a better delt
I used a padding under my armpit to provide a bigger stretch  to my delt. 

By doing this can I add value to this exercise or is it just a was and should I just stick to regular ones
BE THE DIFFERENCE 
YABUI_IS_THE_NAME
(12-22-2021, 08:01 PM)yabui_is_the_name Wrote: I used a padding under my armpit to provide a bigger stretch  to my delt. 

By doing this can I add value to this exercise or is it just a was and should I just stick to regular ones

I'm not sure I understand under what circumstances you're doing this, but what I'm imagining would only stretch the delt  by subluxing the glenohumeral joint.

What I'm seeing is that you would be separating the ball (humeral head) from the socket (glenoid process) when the shoulder joint is near anatomical position with your elbow near your side (pressing on the pad).  The armpit pad would be acting as a lever pivot point that unseats the head of the humerus from the riding on the scapula (if its doing what I think you're wanting it to do), and lengthening the distance between origins and insertion of the heads of the deltoid muscle.   With the delt contracting during a movement, I doubt you'd actually be having this effect, but rather you'd be just compressing the soft tissue of your underarm wherever the pad is pressing.  

If you DID have this effect, it would mean you'd be stretching out the capsule of the shoulder joint and probably causing severe pain and damage to the rotator cuff muscles.  

Maybe I'm not following what you're trying to do, but what I'm imagining would basically be a recipe for destroying the integrity of your shoulder joint.

If you want to stretch the delt, you can do exercises that create safely stress the delt when you've extended behind the torso.  

I actually have an exercise I've been doing at home and have been tempted to post a video of, so I might do that this week since you posted this question.   biggrin

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.