Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fortitude Training E-book.
First off, let me say that I am a huge nerd and I read a ton of material and books. I'm sure that if people are on this site, they probably are a tad bit interested in learning more, and gathering information from a source that they trust. That being said, I bought Scotts new Fortitude Training E-book the day it came out, and finished it about 5 hours later.

This is hands down, the most comprehensive, well thought out, and well put together book that I have ever read on training. Its not just a guide on how to do Scotts program. The first half is delving into the science and practical applications of exercise physiology and how he came to put together the program the way he did. If you like knowing why you are doing something, you will be tickled pink. Even if you don't want to use Fortitude Training, the information provided is still very valuable if you are trying to set up an intelligent program of your own.

When I saw that the program was "really flexible", my first thought was, crap, this is gonna be a lot of work on my part in preparation and planning, etc. But Scott is so freaking thorough, with charts, layouts, hypotheticals, it really is "Marine proof" (I can say that).

In the very beginning of the book he mentions that he will go over some "basics" of nutrition and how to work it in, etc... What is awesome, is that Dr. Stevenson cannot help himself and actually gives away a TON of great info on nutrition. Maybe its just that I have dealt with my clients nutrition needs for so long that when I see someone break it down in such a simple way, I am very impressed.

I am extremely angry at Dr. Stevenson for not personally delivering this book to me 12 years ago, thus saving me a TON of time. Time that I spent trying to decipher between what is good info and what is total B.S., and scouring pubmed etc, without really knowing what I was looking for. Cited in the text of this book, there are like 750 references. So if you are a pubmed junkie, its basically a reading list of awesome.

One final note, and then I will shut up. I work in this industry also, and to be given credit at all is incredible, and to not have it stolen is a miracle. It is so refreshing to read a text, where someone I respect greatly, gives credit for names of exercises, borrowed ideas, etc. It truly shows the character of the author. Any day of the week, I would much rather take advice from someone with integrity, than from someone who has a great marketing team and no substance whatsoever.

Hope this may help anyone who is on the verge, or thinks that this is just another training book, or that 20 bucks is a little steep. I would have paid $120 easy. I am not affiliated with Dr. Stevenson or nor do I or will I get any kickbacks from thinking or saying this book is awesome. I'm just a loudmouth.

-DEADLIVER

There are times when I feel like what I've been doing is maybe adding a few good drops into the bucket. This is one of them.

THANK YOU, DL. This is awesome. Warm n' Fuzzy doesn't begin to describe it.

I will add this:

As you and others may have noticed, I dedicated the book to Gary Dudley ("Doc") who was my mentor (truly - I'm not just using that word) when in grad school at UGa and thereafter during a post-doc doing research at the Shepherd Center (a speciality hospital for treating spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury).

Dr. Dudley passed about a decade ago now, after suffering a brain injury himself, coming back from it and finally succumbing to cancer, which he'd already beaten once before. He was a brilliant, but down to earth good old boy from the sticks of Ohio (his words). He was an ass-kicker in the world of academia, but with tremendous perspective on doing what's important and right first.

I called his wife a couple days ago to send her a copy of the book. She thought it was pretty cool that I dedicated the book to Doc.

He'd not have been as warm n' fuzzy with his remarks as I have been (that wasn't his way so much), but he'd have loved your comments above, DL. THANK YOU again for those.

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
i was contemplating purchasing this ebook.

but after reading this testimonial i think it shld be a well spend $20 Smile

thks DL!biggrin
Is there any way to print the sample training logs?
(08-15-2014, 08:34 AM)the_warrior Wrote: Is there any way to print the sample training logs?

Yes.

At the risk of sounding like a smart-ass, you just need to download the free overview sheets (same place you bought the book) and print them. They're called:

"Fortitude Training™ - Free Overview Sheets & Logs (for Printing)"

-Scott
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.