Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of Resistance Bands with FT
This question is for Scott or anyone really who might have experience with implementing bands into FT. I've been doing Mountain Dog style training for quite a while prior to settling into my 1st FT blast, and I really enjoyed incorporating them into my programming, and I was curious if anyone has ever implemented bands into this the FT training program? I know I could just trial and error it for myself but that's what these boards are for to hopefully learn from somebody else's experience. Adding bands in various degrees can add a whole new arsenal of exercises you could use either with your loading or MR exercises choices. Thoughts?
(01-26-2016, 07:44 AM)_jais_ Wrote: This question is for Scott or anyone really who might have experience with implementing bands into FT. I've been doing Mountain Dog style training for quite a while prior to settling into my 1st FT blast, and I really enjoyed incorporating them into my programming, and I was curious if anyone has ever implemented bands into this the FT training program? I know I could just trial and error it for myself but that's what these boards are for to hopefully learn from somebody else's experience. Adding bands in various degrees can add a whole new arsenal of exercises you could use either with your loading or MR exercises choices. Thoughts?

I think the simplest way to answer this is to say that all of the uses for bands in bodybuilding apply here with FT.

I use them in particular to add resistance (when I've exceeded what the stacks + plates will allow), to alter the resistance curve of exercises (and create a "new" exercise), simply smooth out the resistance provided by a machine in general (this is noticeable on some old / poorly maintained machines), create new exercises where the band is an essential component (e..g, banded HS machines even if I've not exceeded the max weight that fits on the weight post, or banded rack deads).

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-26-2016, 09:22 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I think the simplest way to answer this is to say that all of the uses for bands in bodybuilding apply here with FT.

I use them in particular to add resistance (when I've exceeded what the stacks + plates will allow), to alter the resistance curve of exercises (and create a "new" exercise), simply smooth out the resistance provided by a machine in general (this is noticeable on some old / poorly maintained machines), create new exercises where the band is an essential component (e..g, banded HS machines even if I've not exceeded the max weight that fits on the weight post, or banded rack deads).

-S

Thank you for the reply. I've loved incorporating them into my training. I will be careful in adding them to quickly though.
(01-26-2016, 11:27 AM)_jais_ Wrote: Thank you for the reply. I've loved incorporating them into my training. I will be careful in adding them to quickly though.

I don't know that there's any risk with adding them in too quickly. I simply think of them from a bodybuilding perspective as a way to add some variety in the stimulus, which is generally a good thing.

If one gets overly fixated on coming up with magical exercises, then it could be an issue, but otherwise, they can be a great addition.

(During your intensive cruise, when you might have more time to play around with new / different exercises, can be a good time to figure out some new ways to add them in for future Blasts. Smile )

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-26-2016, 11:33 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I don't know that there's any risk with adding them in too quickly. I simply think of them from a bodybuilding perspective as a way to add some variety in the stimulus, which is generally a good thing.

If one gets overly fixated on coming up with magical exercises, then it could be an issue, but otherwise, they can be a great addition.

(During your intensive cruise, when you might have more time to play around with new / different exercises, can be a good time to figure out some new ways to add them in for future Blasts. Smile )

-S

Great advice as always. Thank you sir!

I've used them before to alter the resistance curves on some exercises. From someone who can grow a booty from just looking at the squat rack I found they have helps massively with leg work (I have bands which add 60kg at full torque not the micros which I see John using quite a lot). On squats (loading sets) set at the top of the rack to help deload in the hole or add resistance at the top of the movement during certain blasts. On Leg Press (MR) I add them to increase resistance a the top of the movement. By adding the banded resistance in this way on both exercises I find that my quad loading and activation is massively improved and it has helped in terms of development.

I would recommend being careful though that you don't turn every blast into a 'band-fiesta' and I agree with Scott in playing with certain exercises before you commit to using them in a full blast. For example my current loading thigh exercises are: box squats, front squats and reverse banded squats.
(01-27-2016, 12:58 AM)scousedave Wrote: I've used them before to alter the resistance curves on some exercises. From someone who can grow a booty from just looking at the squat rack I found they have helps massively with leg work (I have bands which add 60kg at full torque not the micros which I see John using quite a lot). On squats (loading sets) set at the top of the rack to help deload in the hole or add resistance at the top of the movement during certain blasts. On Leg Press (MR) I add them to increase resistance a the top of the movement. By adding the banded resistance in this way on both exercises I find that my quad loading and activation is massively improved and it has helped in terms of development.

I would recommend being careful though that you don't turn every blast into a 'band-fiesta' and I agree with Scott in playing with certain exercises before you commit to using them in a full blast. For example my current loading thigh exercises are: box squats, front squats and reverse banded squats.

ya for sure, that's what I kind of meant by starting slowly. When I did MD training I loved them so much I pretty much started using them for everything biggrin I agree with you I love them on the leg press, hammers the quads like nothing I've ever experienced. I also really dig using them on the HS chest press, and HS rows. I've also experimented using them alone in super-set fashion such as barbell curls supersetted with band curls, triceps ext supersetted with band pushdowns, and shoulder press supersetted with band laterals. Really gets the muscle pumped with blood.
I have been using bands since my powerlifting days back in 2005 and I like them a lot in FT!
One especially good use for them IME is for the loading sets on calves!
I attach the black bands along with plates on the leg press and do raises.
Also muscle rounds on a chest hammer press work well.
I find it can be hard to get the weight moving smoothly from the get go on hammer presses (I have long arms and the bottom position stretches me quite hard!).
This way the initial few inches have less resistance which gets the set moving with ease.
(01-27-2016, 11:36 AM)Con Wrote: I have been using bands since my powerlifting days back in 2005 and I like them a lot in FT!
One especially good use for them IME is for the loading sets on calves!
I attach the black bands along with plates on the leg press and do raises.
Also muscle rounds on a chest hammer press work well.
I find it can be hard to get the weight moving smoothly from the get go on hammer presses (I have long arms and the bottom position stretches me quite hard!).
This way the initial few inches have less resistance which gets the set moving with ease.

As a time saver, its nice to add a good bit of band resistance for calf presses on a leg press (instead of plates).

Also, calf exercises are probably the most common example of when I need to add weight to machines when I've moved past the stack + plate(s). For instance, at the gym I train at now, I used a horizontal (body masters) squat machine (supine squat), but sit upright with the shoulder pads at my pelvis (a spacer pad in between). This makes for a seated ("donkey") calf raise that has a very smooth resistance curve (best in the gym).

However, if I want to do this exercise bilaterally the stack isn't enough and adding plates is a PITA (and not really enough either, except for pump sets), so a couple (orange EliteFTS) bands fill the bill nicely.

(I can video this if you guys like. Smile It's a set up I've used previous at my old go-to gym in Arizona on the same machine.)

-S
-Scott

I actually like reverse band work for example I use a band looped around my hack squat machine as I find hacks a bit harder on the knees in the bottom position but with a band it takes enough tension away at the bottom to make them fine for me. As a resistance tool sometimes I find the tension comes on very quick with bands and doesn't give a smooth increase and so I actually like chains for that more.