Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endurance for police testing with fortitude
I know it's not ideal but I'm trying to take some police tests and a lot of the tests involve a lot of endurance type tests and was wondering what some different ideas to incorporate a little more endurance type activities would be.
It would depend on what the endurance type tests are........running.........what else?
Normally it's timed push-ups in one minute, times sit ups, a 300 yd sprint and then a mile and half run. The pump sets are suitable for the push-ups and sit ups I think, but the running and improving the mile and half is my biggest concern.
(04-12-2016, 06:41 AM)Jvogel20 Wrote: Normally it's timed push-ups in one minute, times sit ups, a 300 yd sprint and then a mile and half run. The pump sets are suitable for the push-ups and sit ups I think, but the running and improving the mile and half is my biggest concern.

FYI: I'm neglecting all the programming aspects to make sure you pass the test... You might already be able to make the grade here, so what's missing is knowing how much you need to / want to improve your fitness.

That said, I'd try something like this:

Take Day 3 (lower MR) and drop down a volume Tier if possible and then do the runs on that day. E.g., 1 x 300yd sprint and run a mile to start.

For Day 4, cut the chest, triceps and ab work down by a Tier (again, if possible) and then practice those tests - all out - just once.

All of this could be adjusted with increasing training days as the test nears closer, but this is something along the lines of what I'd have you do (again, depending on how far off your needed / wanted performance times / score) you are.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Every test I've taken I've passed. A lot of it is politics but I know I could improve in all of them, mostly the mile unfortunately haha
(04-12-2016, 11:59 PM)Jvogel20 Wrote: Every test I've taken I've passed. A lot of it is politics but I know I could improve in all of them, mostly the mile unfortunately haha

Well, what you do as far as training will depend on how much you want to improve.

At one end of the spectrum you don't do anything at all (and pass). At the other end, you train specifically for the test and get a PR.

So, it's hard to say how you should train if you're not quite sure how much you want to commit to improvement. Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
No I get absolutely what you're saying and half the issue is each department is different. Some of them stop you the second you hit the minimum and the others want you to bust out as many as you can do, at least in the push-up and sit-up sense. It's tough to gauge because they never tell you either when you go into it
(04-13-2016, 03:02 AM)Jvogel20 Wrote: No I get absolutely what you're saying and half the issue is each department is different. Some of them stop you the second you hit the minimum and the others want you to bust out as many as you can do, at least in the push-up and sit-up sense. It's tough to gauge because they never tell you either when you go into it

Well, I guess the good thing is you don't have an issue passing the test and it sounds like it seems like there's no advantage to you in doing better as far as promotion, insurance or what have you. So, you're good either way. Smile

-S
-Scott