Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(03-19-2017, 05:22 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Smith squats for muscle rounds are the Devils work...just had to say

lol agree. Just did them today. On my second week of ft training. Started with turbo phase 2. Almost didn't make it down my stairs!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03-19-2017, 05:22 AM)thethinker48 Wrote: Smith squats for muscle rounds are the Devils work...just had to say

If you truly want to meet your maker. Give either rear foot or front foot elevated single Leg smith squats for a MR next. The alternating from one leg to the next with no rest is just about the most difficult thing I've ever done in FT. Makes smith squats seem like a dream. PPP
(03-17-2017, 11:49 PM)Stewilliams Wrote: Thanks for replying Scott.

I've recently put a lot of attention on rear delts and essentially have had to learn to recruit them effectively as I was previously unable to do so. They have grown noticeably since doing this, however they are still a weak part for me and need extra attention. I will heed your advice and not increase the volume before ensuring I can recover from a lower amount of volume. I am concerned though that now I will be neglecting the lateral head of deltoids in favour of focusing on posterior. Lateral will now only be trained directly via one MR or pump set on day 3.

Maintaining exercise adaptations is more easily done than obtaining them in the first place.

IF you're making gains with your rear delts, why would you stop doing this?..

Has the middle head of your delts receded or are you just concerned about this?... (How would that happen if you're gaining weight and strength overall and in particular in the movements that target the middle head of the delt?... Take no prisoners on that side lateral exercise on Day 3!!!)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-19-2017, 11:35 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Maintaining exercise adaptations is more easily done than obtaining them in the first place.

IF you're making gains with your rear delts, why would you stop doing this?..

Has the middle head of your delts receded or are you just concerned about this?... (How would that happen if you're gaining weight and strength overall and in particular in the movements that target the middle head of the delt?... Take no prisoners on that side lateral exercise on Day 3!!!)

-S

Prior to FT I was training a legs, push, pull, rest, lower, upper, rest split. I was training rear delts with a 4 sets (loading style) on pull days using 2 sets of 2 exercises. Then was hitting them again for 2 heavy sets on upper body day as well as doing 2 high rep sets on them at the end of my first leg session. Now that I've swapped to FT I have needed to drop this level of volume for rear delts. I am aware that with my improved recruitment of my rear delts and progressively overloading them I will be able to develop them well with a reduced volume.

I'm only on my second week of FT so wouldn't be able to assess whether they have receded, but I am confident they won't as long as I consistently attack the side lateral exercise on day 3 like you suggested. My only concern is that I won't be utilising any heavy loading for them, but I would rather not reduce rear delt volume in order to accommodate this.

I need to learn to accept that more isn't always more as I've previously buried myself from training. I suppose prioritising rear delts currently is the priority and in future training blasts I can increase lateral deltoid frequency, once I've established I can attempt tier 3 or when my rear delts have improved enough for me to be willing to reduce their weekly volume.

(03-21-2017, 04:59 AM)Stewilliams Wrote: Prior to FT I was training a legs, push, pull, rest, lower, upper, rest split. I was training rear delts with a 4 sets (loading style) on pull days using 2 sets of 2 exercises. Then was hitting them again for 2 heavy sets on upper body day as well as doing 2 high rep sets on them at the end of my first leg session. Now that I've swapped to FT I have needed to drop this level of volume for rear delts. I am aware that with my improved recruitment of my rear delts and progressively overloading them I will be able to develop them well with a reduced volume.

I'm only on my second week of FT so wouldn't be able to assess whether they have receded, but I am confident they won't as long as I consistently attack the side lateral exercise on day 3 like you suggested. My only concern is that I won't be utilising any heavy loading for them, but I would rather not reduce rear delt volume in order to accommodate this.

I need to learn to accept that more isn't always more as I've previously buried myself from training. I suppose prioritising rear delts currently is the priority and in future training blasts I can increase lateral deltoid frequency, once I've established I can attempt tier 3 or when my rear delts have improved enough for me to be willing to reduce their weekly volume.

Great perspective!

As far as loading the middle head of the delts, one thing you can on your overhead pressing is to generally do these with the focus on pressing more to the rear vs. to the front.

So, if you can, behind the neck pressing vs. overhead front presses.
Reverse hammer strength presses (on the OH press machine) vs. the normal way.

And, this exercise is a winner. Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLL7Qh1jQu2/...e_training

Check the comments in that link for who to do the exercise, but here's the gist (I did these as a pump sets in that vid).

"I'm sitting backwards on the bench, set all the way upright. (I'm blocking it mostly, but you can see it below my ears to the side of my neck.) You use the bench to keep a constant distance between your head / torso from the bench and NOT lean back. Doing them this way forces you to retract the shoulder girdle and calls the middle head of the delt in a great deal more. This drops the weight down most can yes by >50% compared to a typical OH press where the upper back is arched and the focus is on the anterior deltoids. If you decided to try these, you'll see that they feel very different than a DB OH press when leaning back on the bench. I'd suggest stretching out your pec beforehand. For those with shoulder issues, this may expose them, so be careful, for sure and START REALLY light. A set of 30+ reps with just the 10's, if you stay completely upright (and not lean back) feels AWESOME. Smile"

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(03-21-2017, 11:37 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Great perspective!

As far as loading the middle head of the delts, one thing you can on your overhead pressing is to generally do these with the focus on pressing more to the rear vs. to the front.

So, if you can, behind the neck pressing vs. overhead front presses.
Reverse hammer strength presses (on the OH press machine) vs. the normal way.

And, this exercise is a winner. Smile

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLL7Qh1jQu2/...e_training

Check the comments in that link for who to do the exercise, but here's the gist (I did these as a pump sets in that vid).

"I'm sitting backwards on the bench, set all the way upright. (I'm blocking it mostly, but you can see it below my ears to the side of my neck.) You use the bench to keep a constant distance between your head / torso from the bench and NOT lean back. Doing them this way forces you to retract the shoulder girdle and calls the middle head of the delt in a great deal more. This drops the weight down most can yes by >50% compared to a typical OH press where the upper back is arched and the focus is on the anterior deltoids. If you decided to try these, you'll see that they feel very different than a DB OH press when leaning back on the bench. I'd suggest stretching out your pec beforehand. For those with shoulder issues, this may expose them, so be careful, for sure and START REALLY light. A set of 30+ reps with just the 10's, if you stay completely upright (and not lean back) feels AWESOME. Smile"

-S

Looks like a cool exercise, my only concern is that the bench will prevent me from checking myself out in the mirror Sad (kidding btw)! I'll give this one a go for sure! Thanks for your help Scott.
Here's a question for my upcoming months with FT training. In July and august i'll be off from work since i'm working in school and have plenty of time to rest and train. If i want to train twice a day with FT, would i split the training in two by doing de 6-12 reps in the morning and doing the high reps later that day?? What would be an ideal split and would i up the volume??

Thanks in advance
(03-22-2017, 11:11 PM)LoganX Wrote: Here's a question for my upcoming months with FT training. In July and august i'll be off from work since i'm working in school and have plenty of time to rest and train. If i want to train twice a day with FT, would i split the training in two by doing de 6-12 reps in the morning and doing the high reps later that day?? What would be an ideal split and would i up the volume??

Thanks in advance

Scott will weight on this I'm sure but this has been answered before somewhere on this board. Fairly sure Scott said there is nothing wrong with this per se, but it's not exactly encouraged. Mostly because of things like your last sentence (which is asked innocently enough). His fear is that with the VERY short sessions people will want to do more, or add more, or take the pump sets and turn them into widow makers. or whatever. Which will make these double sessions far more difficult to recover from.

It's a fair question and good thinking as you want to maximize your gains and effort. I'll just add that there is a LOT to do and learn and build from just running the program as it. it seems like you are excited and looking ahead, which is great, I tend to do that myself a lot. Wink But just getting the basics nailed down, and from there slowly making modifications one at a time until you know the system inside and out and in turn, yourself as well. You could spend month on months alone just tweaking and adjusting the style and order of your pump sets to try and get them as effective as possible (as an example).
(03-22-2017, 11:26 PM)Altamir Wrote: Scott will weight on this I'm sure but this has been answered before somewhere on this board. Fairly sure Scott said there is nothing wrong with this per se, but it's not exactly encouraged. Mostly because of things like your last sentence (which is asked innocently enough). His fear is that with the VERY short sessions people will want to do more, or add more, or take the pump sets and turn them into widow makers. or whatever. Which will make these double sessions far more difficult to recover from.

It's a fair question and good thinking as you want to maximize your gains and effort. I'll just add that there is a LOT to do and learn and build from just running the program as it. it seems like you are excited and looking ahead, which is great, I tend to do that myself a lot. Wink But just getting the basics nailed down, and from there slowly making modifications one at a time until you know the system inside and out and in turn, yourself as well. You could spend month on months alone just tweaking and adjusting the style and order of your pump sets to try and get them as effective as possible (as an example).

Thanks Altamir, but since i'm already planning my training for the next upcoming months like i always do, i just wanna have all the variables possible in hand to do my planning and since like i said by summer it's only food, rest and training for me, i know it will be my best time to give a go for the next year. As you said, i will have plenty of time to experiment on me and my wife to adjust to our ability to recover. Thanks for the reply
(03-22-2017, 02:06 AM)Stewilliams Wrote: Looks like a cool exercise, my only concern is that the bench will prevent me from checking myself out in the mirror Sad (kidding btw)! I'll give this one a go for sure! Thanks for your help Scott.

SOLUTION: Film yourself and post to IG so you can check yourself out all day long!!! Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott