Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
It wasn't me with the DCO question on muscle minds btw Scott!
Hello there..i wanted to ask Dr Scott ..if someone with knee pain( pattella tenonditis) uses reverce band sguats to lesser the stress on the knee joint at the bottom of the lift does the reduction in loading at the bottom is a limiting factor to the stress on the muscle=less stimulation on the muscle =lower loading?
(06-21-2017, 12:26 AM)bill2 Wrote: Hello there..i wanted to ask Dr Scott ..if someone with knee pain( pattella tenonditis) uses reverce band sguats to lesser the stress on the knee joint at the bottom of the lift does the reduction in loading at the bottom is a limiting factor to the stress on the muscle=less stimulation on the muscle =lower loading?

(ADD: Please make this thread about FT-specific questions. This one could easily go in a separate thread and/or in a different forum.)

If you lower the load, you lower the stimulation, yes. (You've answered your own question.)

The main question you have to ask is whether not doing this and perpetuating your tendonitis (perhaps to a tendinosos) is worth whatever loss of loading you might have. I'd guess it's not.

Reverse banding on squatting movements tends to make the movement match focus on the quads throughout the ROM, i.e., there is a greater load nearer terminal knee extension where the quads are more active. If the reverse banding eliminates your patellar tendon / knee pain, then I'd say do it. (This is a great solution in that case, IMO.)

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(06-21-2017, 09:57 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: (ADD: Please make this thread about FT-specific questions. This one could easily go in a separate thread and/or in a different forum.)

If you lower the load, you lower the stimulation, yes. (You've answered your own question.)

The main question you have to ask is whether not doing this and perpetuating your tendonitis (perhaps to a tendinosos) is worth whatever loss of loading you might have. I'd guess it's not.

Reverse banding on squatting movements tends to make the movement match focus on the quads throughout the ROM, i.e., there is a greater load nearer terminal knee extension where the quads are more active. If the reverse banding eliminates your patellar tendon / knee pain, then I'd say do it. (This is a great solution in that case, IMO.)

-S
Many thanks Scott! i found out that at most thigh movemenets my knee bothers me when the transition from negative to positive happens..so i found two ways to eliminate the knee pain..reverce banding or knee wraping..( only at my heaviest sets..)
so another guestion might be whats your experiences-views on this subject?( knee wraping to eliminate pain through such situations?
(06-21-2017, 11:15 PM)bill2 Wrote: Many thanks Scott! i found out that at most thigh movemenets my knee bothers me when the transition from negative to positive happens..so i found two ways to eliminate the knee pain..reverce banding or knee wraping..( only at my heaviest sets..)
so another guestion might be whats your experiences-views on this subject?( knee wraping to eliminate pain through such situations?

(Please note my first comment above... LOL)

Wrapping can be a necessary evil, but if you've got perpetual knee pain that you're bandaiding with wrapping, well, then, you're band-aiding the knee pain and possibly perpetuating it such that you can end up with a more serious overuse injury down the road.

So as far as wrapping, I generally see a few reasons:

1.) For performance - you're stronger using them. This is more for powerlifters.

2.) They help with stability and allow for greater loading.

*As far as the above two, some feel that wrapping reduces muscular loading, whereas others feel they can load the target muscle better when wrapping. This is a matter of lifting style, purpose (PL'ing vs. BB'ing) and "ego" too (as some just want to lift as heavy as possible / it's just more fun to lift the most absurd loads, but it's not necessarily the best call for BB'ing.)

3.) The do the above and thus also help prevent knee pain, but there is no issue generally as long as you wrap.

4.) You need do to so b/c of pain - you'd not be able to train with these movements / in this way (as heavy as one goes, etc.) without wrapping, at least not for many workouts. This is really where the issue comes.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Scott,

I have always had issues with my left shoulder from the past which has lead to problems in my left tricep. So sometimes my shoulder likes to act up, and quite oddly enough rear delt db fly(traditional way) bothers my shoulder more then pressing. Presses and lying on the bench side raises with cable rear delt flyes are probably one of the only shoulder exercises that dont bother my shoulder. Do you have any exercise recommendation to go around this nagging injury? I would check to a proper doctor or get some therapy on it but low on cash for now lol. Thanks!
(06-25-2017, 05:33 AM)Lazar15 Wrote: Hey Scott,

I have always had issues with my left shoulder from the past which has lead to problems in my left tricep. So sometimes my shoulder likes to act up, and quite oddly enough rear delt db fly(traditional way) bothers my shoulder more then pressing. Presses and lying on the bench side raises with cable rear delt flyes are probably one of the only shoulder exercises that dont bother my shoulder. Do you have any exercise recommendation to go around this nagging injury? I would check to a proper doctor or get some therapy on it but low on cash for now lol. Thanks!

I would just never do any thing that causes injurious pain, so, just as you say, be creative and find exercises that work around the injury.

Not much more I can really say as you've not even got a diagnosis here.

Sad

-S
-Scott

Scott,

On the recent MM episode you told the story where you and Dave Henry were comparing poses after a workout, and he made a comment about different physiques.

Considering how long you've been training and the kind of talent you've worked with, In your youth (I'm sorry lol, ur still a beast) did you ever have trouble coming to grasp with the fact that some people will just get this easier and will achieve more than the average person?

It's a very troubling thought for me sometimes regardless of how much I know genetic variation plays a role. Kind of like coming to terms with the fact that you have have a lower iq which will prevent you from climbing the top of the hierarchical ladder.

P.S- the iq part you're probably in the elite spectrum Smile

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
(06-27-2017, 01:45 PM)thethinker48 Wrote: Scott,

On the recent MM episode you told the story where you and Dave Henry were comparing poses after a workout, and he made a comment about different physiques.

Considering how long you've been training and the kind of talent you've worked with, In your youth (I'm sorry lol, ur still a beast) did you ever have trouble coming to grasp with the fact that some people will just get this easier and will achieve more than the average person?

It's a very troubling thought for me sometimes regardless of how much I know genetic variation plays a role. Kind of like coming to terms with the fact that you have have a lower iq which will prevent you from climbing the top of the hierarchical ladder.

P.S- the iq part you're probably in the elite spectrum Smile

Hey Bud,

Maybe, if your latter contention is true, it explains why I never really had much problem with the former issue. Smile

TBH, playing sports growing up I did decently well and ended up being in a sense more successful in some instances than many of those around me who obviously had better genetics (at least for sports per se). My family of origin (and genetics from my parents) set me up to be a pretty hard worker, and b/c of that I did well.

Example was playing football. We had a horrible team. With the exception of my Jr. year when we had the 3rd best quarterback in the U.S. (a Senior who was drafted to play MLB out of high school and went to Michigan and actually started as a defensive back...), we lost every single game I played in.

I never missed a workout, a practice or a game (except my Jr. year when I was injured so I didn't get to taste those victories). We had a "strength coach" who came up with a full body training regime (everything 3x / week) that entailed 98 sets to failure each day. It took 4hr to complete, using 1 min. rest intervals between sets (3 x exercise). After that, I'd do agility drills (for both offensive and defensive positions - 30 min each) and the the "optional" endurance run of 3 miles that I'd up to ~4mile b/c there was a route that worked for that. Then I'd eat, go home for "chores" and have swim practice and/or passing league later that night.

I was the only player who did all of that, so I was elected co-captain and held a kind of leadership role on the team.

I watched all the other players come into the season out of shape and get destroyed during practice, but get in shape and be fitter than me eventually, but I was still doing pretty well, so there was never any feeling of not being in control, etc. d/t poor genetics b/c I was doing all I could (or so I perceived).

(That training regime was silly of course.)

-S
-Scott

(06-27-2017, 11:51 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud,

Maybe, if your latter contention is true, it explains why I never really had much problem with the former issue. Smile

TBH, playing sports growing up I did decently well and ended up being in a sense more successful in some instances than many of those around me who obviously had better genetics (at least for sports per se). My family of origin (and genetics from my parents) set me up to be a pretty hard worker, and b/c of that I did well.

Example was playing football. We had a horrible team. With the exception of my Jr. year when we had the 3rd best quarterback in the U.S. (a Senior who was drafted to play MLB out of high school and went to Michigan and actually started as a defensive back...), we lost every single game I played in.

I never missed a workout, a practice or a game (except my Jr. year when I was injured so I didn't get to taste those victories). We had a "strength coach" who came up with a full body training regime (everything 3x / week) that entailed 98 sets to failure each day. It took 4hr to complete, using 1 min. rest intervals between sets (3 x exercise). After that, I'd do agility drills (for both offensive and defensive positions - 30 min each) and the the "optional" endurance run of 3 miles that I'd up to ~4mile b/c there was a route that worked for that. Then I'd eat, go home for "chores" and have swim practice and/or passing league later that night.

I was the only player who did all of that, so I was elected co-captain and held a kind of leadership role on the team.

I watched all the other players come into the season out of shape and get destroyed during practice, but get in shape and be fitter than me eventually, but I was still doing pretty well, so there was never any feeling of not being in control, etc. d/t poor genetics b/c I was doing all I could (or so I perceived).

(That training regime was silly of course.)

-S

That's a really cool way of putting it. Early experiences played a huge role apparently.

And 98 sets to failure? no wonder you're messed up in the head when u train [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk