Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(10-07-2017, 04:55 AM)dougphillips Wrote: I was wondering everyone's thoughts about the following scenario:
I'm a natural BB competitor and currently under Tier II for VV, so pretty decent amount of volume. My recovery is pretty good, I may add some extra carbs to periworkout to combat any growing soreness (cardio is currently 2 days/week LISS 30 min). My question is: I'll be doing a 16 week prep starting December, most likely HIIT and LISS almost every day. Should I scale back on volume when starting a prep under FT? I did not do FT last prep but high volume and towards the end I really felt drained. I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks!

This will give you some thoughts.

Cardio in the Off-Season: Blasphemy, Beneficial or Badass

(Part 1) http://www.elitefts.com/education/traini...or-badass/
Cardio in the Off-Season: Make Up Your Mind (Part 2) 

http://www.elitefts.com/education/traini...your-mind/

I'd do as little cardio as possible and as much weight training as possible, using your diet (and daily activity in the form of NEAT - just staying active doing day to day activities, even if you have to take up a hobby of sorts) to create the needed deficit.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Great, thanks Doc, I agreed with everything in the articles Smile. Shelby Starnes does my prep and although I’d like to do as little cardio as possible we will see ha!
(10-07-2017, 11:58 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: This will give you some thoughts.

Cardio in the Off-Season: Blasphemy, Beneficial or Badass

(Part 1) http://www.elitefts.com/education/traini...or-badass/
Cardio in the Off-Season: Make Up Your Mind (Part 2) 

http://www.elitefts.com/education/traini...your-mind/

I'd do as little cardio as possible and as much weight training as possible, using your diet (and daily activity in the form of NEAT - just staying active doing day to day activities, even if you have to take up a hobby of sorts) to create the needed deficit.

-S

Hey Scott,

After taking 2 weeks at maintenence kcal to serve as a diet break after my cut, I'm looking to shift into a surplus this week for my 1st FT blast

I'm following the exact guidelines (nutrient timing etc) for the FT diet as outlined in the book for my maintenance intake

As I shift into my surplus, i'm thinking about creating the surplus through protein (starting at 1g/lb) and scaling it up till I'm gaining at a good rate while keeping BF% in check

Is there any real "cut off" point for the max amount of protein? I'm thinking of cutting it off at 400g (2g/lb) before adding carb and fat kcals

This is in line with DC training recommendations in creating the "blast furnace" and I was wondering if you have any new thoughts on this

Thanks !
(10-08-2017, 03:49 AM)dougphillips Wrote: Great, thanks Doc, I agreed with everything in the articles Smile. Shelby Starnes does my prep and although I’d like to do as little cardio as possible we will see ha!

If Shelby does your prep, why are you asking about it here?... Sad

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(10-08-2017, 09:01 PM)patjohnhyde Wrote: Hey Scott,

After taking 2 weeks at maintenence kcal to serve as a diet break after my cut, I'm looking to shift into a surplus this week for my 1st FT blast

I'm following the exact guidelines (nutrient timing etc) for the FT diet as outlined in the book for my maintenance intake

Hey Bud!

I'm not sure what you mean by "exact" here, as what is maintenance for someone might not be for another - you can estimate (e.g. 15kcal / lb), so "exact estimation" might be a better term.

Quote:As I shift into my surplus, i'm thinking about creating the surplus through protein (starting at 1g/lb) and scaling it up till I'm gaining at a good rate while keeping BF% in check

Is there any real "cut off" point for the max amount of protein? I'm thinking of cutting it off at 400g (2g/lb) before adding carb and fat kcals

This is in line with DC training recommendations in creating the "blast furnace" and I was wondering if you have any new thoughts on this

Thanks !

This is a bit of an odd question, in that it's unusual that you're not already taking in more protein than that. (If anything protein needs go up when in a caloric deficit and the inverse would be true when consuming a caloric excess.)

Protein will be the least likely to create a true surplus, as a good bit of the energy it will be lost thermiclly.

Just adding protein probably won't do much for you unless that 1g / lb value is too low - but this MAY be the case depending on what your caloric intake is. (You've not said explicitly.)

1. Antonio J, Peacock C, Ellerbroek A, Fromhoff B, Silver T. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2014;11(1):19.

"CONCLUSIONS:Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen."

--------

I would suggest adding carbs (and perhaps protein in conduction) to your peri-workout regimen but as to where - I can't say without knowing what you're doing in more detail. Smile

-S
-Scott

Hi Scott, might seem a silly question but in the scenario that you miss a training session for whatever reason and for this instance it was day 4 upper focus MR's (basic tier 3) what steps would you then go about with the session missed being a Sunday and now its a new week?

Would you just forget about the session completely and move on?

OR

Complete the session first that week and push everything back in terms of schedule and by doing so this results in doing back to back "LOAD" days to then ensure normal schedule the following week so for instance it would be..
Mon: © Upper focus MR'S
Wed: (A) Lower Load / Upper Pump
Thurs: (A) Upper Load / Lower Pump
Sat: (A) Lower focus MR's
Sun: (A) Upper focus MR's
Tues: (B) resume normal schedule

OR
Attempt to make up training volume over the course of the next week by strategically adding it to the other sessions across the whole week ? Although I could see this impacting recovery.

Thanks.
Scott,
Sorry to clarify, Shelby does my nutrition and cardio- I’ve done all my weight training in the past, this will be my first time using FT training during a prep.
(10-09-2017, 01:20 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: If Shelby does your prep, why are you asking about it here?... Sad

-S

(10-09-2017, 07:53 PM)nordan Wrote: Hi Scott, might seem a silly question but in the scenario that you miss a training session for whatever reason and for this instance it was day 4 upper focus MR's (basic tier 3) what steps would you then go about with the session missed being a Sunday and now its a new week?

Would you just forget about the session completely and move on?

OR

Complete the session first that week and push everything back in terms of schedule and by doing so this results in doing back to back "LOAD" days to then ensure normal schedule the following week so for instance it would be..
Mon: © Upper focus MR'S
Wed: (A) Lower Load / Upper Pump
Thurs: (A) Upper Load / Lower Pump
Sat: (A) Lower focus MR's
Sun: (A) Upper focus MR's
Tues: (B) resume normal schedule

OR
Attempt to make up training volume over the course of the next week by strategically adding it to the other sessions across the whole week ? Although I could see this impacting recovery.

Thanks.

First and foremost, I begin with deep prayer to the flying spaghetti monster that a solution would come to me without undo perciferation on the matter

Aside from that, if you have that many options to consider, this tells me you don't have any particular training day / day of the week that matters too much, so I'd just pick up where you left off. Smile

-S
-Scott

(10-09-2017, 01:27 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud!

I'm not sure what you mean by "exact" here, as what is maintenance for someone might not be for another - you can estimate (e.g. 15kcal / lb), so "exact estimation" might be a better term.

This is a bit of an odd question, in that it's unusual that you're not already taking in more protein than that. (If anything protein needs go up when in a caloric deficit and the inverse would be true when consuming a caloric excess.)

Protein will be the least likely to create a true surplus, as a good bit of the energy it will be lost thermiclly.

Just adding protein probably won't do much for you unless that 1g / lb value is too low - but this MAY be the case depending on what your caloric intake is. (You've not said explicitly.)

1. Antonio J, Peacock C, Ellerbroek A, Fromhoff B, Silver T. The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2014;11(1):19.

"CONCLUSIONS:Consuming 5.5 times the recommended daily allowance of protein has no effect on body composition in resistance-trained individuals who otherwise maintain the same training regimen."

--------

I would suggest adding carbs (and perhaps protein in conduction) to your peri-workout regimen but as to where - I can't say without knowing what you're doing in more detail. :)

-S

Sorry for not being very specific, I was commuting at the time hahah

So by "exact" I was referring to the nutrient timing recommendations - pro/fat meals up until the workout window then introducing carbs peri and post

By maintenance I've found I can maintain my weight at 4000 kcals so yeah, more so " exact estimation "

Within that 4k I've been having 200g pro which is slightly above 1g/lb as I'm hovering around 189-191lbs - this was sufficient to maintain and even grow a but of muscle mass in my cutting phase

I realise protein is highly thermic so I was thinking introducing kcals to create a surplus through protein would serve me well for staying lean etc. Plus dantes anecdotal evidence of very high protein diets having his trainees grow like weeds while staying lean

So yeah - maybe starting out I'll bump protein up to 300g from 200g to create a "400 kcal" surplus which may well be more like a 300 surplus due to thermogenesis and adjust from there
To keep gaining

The studies of having no changes of fat free mass with the surplus of protein kcals is really what is driving me to experiment with this super high protein intake as it will serve me well to start lean and on sky high kcals when I decide to cut down for a show (after probably 32 blasts... lol)
(10-10-2017, 12:09 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: First and foremost, I begin with deep prayer to the flying spaghetti monster that a solution would come to me without undo perciferation on the matter

Aside from that, if you have that many options to consider, this tells me you don't have any particular training day / day of the week that matters too much, so I'd just pick up where you left off. Smile

-S

Well I typically train

Tues: lower load upper pump
Thurs: upper load lower pump
Sat: lower MR's
Sun: upper MR's

I'll just pick up where I left off and then auto regulate based on recovery. I just thought there may be a definitive no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk