Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loading sets and shoulder injuries
Hi guys,
do you have experience in choosing exercises for shoulder loading sets for an athlete with shoulders problems? (subacromial conflict syndrome)
I have a chronic joint issue and can't do overhead presses without pain.
I was thinking about putting some kind of high incline press... (that don't hurt me)

Do you have experience in similar cases?
(11-27-2019, 12:12 AM)carnera Wrote: Hi guys,
do you have experience in choosing exercises for shoulder loading sets for an athlete with shoulders problems? (subacromial conflict syndrome)
I have a chronic joint issue and can't do overhead presses without pain.
I was thinking about putting some kind of high incline press... (that don't hurt me)

Do you have experience in similar cases?

You don't HAVE to do OH Presses for loading sets. The Exercises would be your "go to" for heavy progressive overload, and if you can't do an OH press, then that's de facto out.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with your shoulder, but you might want to address that medically if at all possible.

This is an OH press variation that you might have luck with(?)...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bohw18IhjRY/

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
my english is not good enough to effectively describe my shoulder problem.
I have been struggling with this problem for many years. the various medical examinations I did were not conclusive at all.
the last ultrasound showed an irregularity of the supraspinatus tendon of the left shoulder.
I did physiotherapy and a cycle of cortisone shot in the shoulder (I hope the translation is right), but the pain remains in some movements with involve a intrarotation of the humerus and in the low portion of the overhead presses (fortunately not in the horizontal and inclined push moviments).

your advice is obviously reasonable, if I can't do OH presses, then I won't do OH presses for the loading sets.

Can I replace the shoulder's loading with something else? Do you have some advice? an additional pump movement? Simple straight sets of movements I can do safely? skip the part loading?

I have never tried that exercise, but I will definitely try it.
(11-27-2019, 06:16 PM)carnera Wrote: my english is not good enough to effectively describe my shoulder problem.
I have been struggling with this problem for many years. the various medical examinations I did were not conclusive at all.
the last ultrasound showed an irregularity of the supraspinatus tendon of the left shoulder.
I did physiotherapy and a cycle of cortisone shot in the shoulder (I hope the translation is right), but the pain remains in some movements with involve a intrarotation of the humerus and in the low portion of the overhead presses (fortunately not in the horizontal and inclined push moviments).

your advice is obviously reasonable, if I can't do OH presses, then I won't do OH presses for the loading sets.

Can I replace the shoulder's loading with something else? Do you have some advice? an additional pump movement? Simple straight sets of movements I can do safely? skip the part loading?

I have never tried that exercise, but I will definitely try it.

Well, if you've not got a diagnosis, then there's not much to translate, but it sounds like you've got some form of impingement (supraspinatus upon the underside of the acromion arch) which is very common. A physical therapist / physiotherapist may be able to show you exercises to relieve that (rotator cuff strengthening exercises for instance). Surgery is an option for the condition , too (shaving away the impinging part of the bone.)

I can't advise you on exercises b/c I don't know what you can / can't do. It's like trying to tell you what kind of foods you like. LOL

Loading sets are simple straight sets, of course, and if you have only 3 exercises you can do, for instance, then you could rotate among those going as heavy as possible without pain on Day 1 and 2, and then use them as well for MR's and Pump sets.

You'll have too figure out what you can / can't do - I really can't do that, nor would I want to try - over the internet. It will likely change day to day.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.