Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood glucose question
Hello, I have been testing my fasted blood glucose in the morning and it has been between 105-115. I have also tested it 2 hours after eating a meal with 100g carbs and it was 89 and 92 on two separate occasions. Why is my fasting glucose high but it is in the normal range after eating a meal with a large amount of carbohydrates?

I have not been able to get an A1c test yet because of the shutdown in my state.

I was also thinking about doing the diet in the FT book and limiting my carbs to intra and post workout.

Thank you
(06-11-2020, 08:59 AM)Powerlifter Wrote: Hello, I have been testing my fasted blood glucose in the morning and it has been between 105-115. I have also tested it 2 hours after eating a meal with 100g carbs and it was 89 and 92 on two separate occasions. Why is my fasting glucose high but it is in the normal range after eating a meal with a large amount of carbohydrates?

I have not been able to get an A1c test yet because of the shutdown in my state.

I was also thinking about doing the diet in the FT book and limiting my carbs to intra and post workout.

Thank you

It could be a few things... Firstly, what you'd diet like over the course of 24hr and which is the 100g meal after which you're getting the 2hr post BG measurements?...

-S

-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks for the reply.

My fasting glucose this morning was 110. My diet yesterday was

Protein 352g
Carbs 193g
Fat 121g

My pre bed meal was 1.5 cups 2% Greek yogurt, 1 scoop whey and 1 cup blueberries.

Both times I tested 2 hours after a meal was post workout. The meal was 50g whey and 100g carbs from rice crispy cereal.

I can test after a carb meal that isn’t a post workout meal if you suggest.
I just took my blood glucose 2hr after eating my 5th meal

12oz chicken
Potato (approx 50g carbs)
Carrots

My glucose was 92. My diet today was exactly the same as yesterday.

So my numbers are high fasting in the morning but normal after eating.
Time of day matters, i.e., time between last meal and the BG reading may mean you're not post-absorptive.

I'm looking a 24 hr time line of your meals (food and macros).

------

Regardless there are two possibilities.

1.) You're not truly postabsorptive in the AM when making the measurement

(Caffeine here before the measurement could raise BG)

2.) A small amount of post-meal reactive hypoglycemia
(GDA's here could lower the BG.)

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thanks again.

BTW, I’m 37 with no history of diabetes in my family.

I do not have any caffeine ever.

Do you think this is something I should continue to check since my morning numbers are technically pre diabetic or no because my numbers are normal after meals?

Would structuring my diet like you have in the FT book be beneficial in a situation like mine?
(06-12-2020, 12:00 AM)Powerlifter Wrote: Thanks again.

BTW, I’m 37 with no history of diabetes in my family.

I do not have any caffeine ever.

Do you think this is something I should continue to check since my morning numbers are technically pre diabetic or no because my numbers are normal after meals?

Would structuring my diet like you have in the FT book be beneficial in a situation like mine?

I can't really say too much since I don't know what your diet is in terms of meals and meal timing relative to blood measurements.

You don't have to tell me your diet of course, but morning blood glucose levels are only clinically meaningful if you are post-absorptive. This is why I'm asking what your meals are specifically over the course of a 24hr period and when the blood draws along a 24hr time line.

-S

-Scott

Here is what I eat

Fasted Blood glucose at 715am- 110

Meal 1 - 745am

4 whole eggs
1 Ezekiel English muffin
Small amount of grass fed butter

Meal 2- 945am

60g whey
1 serving cashews

Meal 3 - 1pm

12oz bison
1/2 cup rice (uncooked)
1 cup spinach

Meal 4 - 4pm

Same as meal 2

Meal 5 - 7pm

12oz chicken
White potato (approx 50g carbs)
Carrots

9pm - Took my glucose 2 hours after eating meal 5 - 92

Meal 6 - 10pm

1.5 cups 2% Greek yogurt
1 scoop whey
1 cup blueberries

Totals for the day

Protein 352g
Carbs 193g
Fat 121g

Gyms are still closed in my state so my workouts have been bodyweight and bands. I take 2-3, 10min walks after meals.
Your blood glucose will reflect the food you've taken in, it's digestion and rate of absorption, and the exercise you've done preceding the measurement. It's a steady state measurement that is the function of appearance (from food and the liver) and disappearance (use by tissues such as the brain and skeletal muscle.) If you know this, you'll have a sense of what you're measuring here.

If one of those 2-3 10 min walks come after the meal (#5) before your BG measurement, this could be affecting your BG (lowering it).

If you are still absorbing the food from your 10PM meal <10hr later (at your AM BG measurement), this could elevate it. (This is certainly possible.)

---To get a better representation of post-absorptive BG, I would try to compress meals such that I get that last meal in early enough (say 8:30) and blood glucose measurement late enough (push to 8:30AM ) to have 12 hr since finishing the last meal.

---Removing the walk after that meal #5 will tell you more about how it's affecting BG, as will taking pre-, post- and other (e.g., every 30min) measurements.

-S
-Scott

Just a FYI, I did not take a walk after my meal 5 on that day.

Thank you again!