Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soreness
Smile 
Hi Scott,
going full bore with my training after my last surgery.The lifting hook has given me my right hand back Err literally.I have had no problem doing any heavy pulling.Anyways i got brave and am using just turbo tier 2 for this whole blast.I just can't get sore anymore for some reason.I'm moving up on the loading and mr's so i am progressing.Only time i got sore was when i came back from my hospital stay or if i do a bunch of junk volume.I have been training for over 20 years and never got sore unless using a bunch of volume.Do you still get sore?You have me on 10 more years of training bow
(08-28-2021, 11:55 AM)kastro Wrote: Hi Scott,
going full bore with my training after my last surgery.The lifting hook has given me my right hand back Err literally.I have had no problem doing any heavy pulling.Anyways i got brave and am using just turbo tier 2 for this whole blast.I just can't get sore anymore for some reason.I'm moving up on the loading and mr's so i am progressing.Only time i got sore was when i came back from my hospital stay or if i do a bunch of junk volume.I have been training for over 20 years and never got sore unless using a bunch of volume.Do you still get sore?You have me on 10 more years of training bow

Hey Bud!

Congrats on being able to go full bore!!!  That's awesome!  (I remember the lifting hook of course. Would be cool to see a pic of it if you're willing to share, for any others reading who might be in a similar situation. )

Actually, I get sore really easily.  I'm perpetually sore essentially when training to the point where if I less soreness fully subside between sessions, I'd be training only ever several weeks.  (I took about over a week off to help heal up an issue with my leg earlier this year and was sore my next session in - on my upper body where I'd not been doing an specific rehab or stretching) as if I'd been not taken a break at all.

This is something that I've seen personally years ago doing some DOMS related work as well as in the literature - there is massive variability in the susceptibility and extent of DOMS, as well as the repeated bout effect / protective effect of a previously injurious exercise bout on subsequent DOMS / muscle injury.

Thats you're NOT getting sore and still making great progress is awesome - this suggests to me that you're on the upswing of the hormesis curve of "dose" (function of workload and effort) and adaptation (growth) such that you might even be able to handle more volume muscularly were it not for the taxation on the CNS, endocrine and immune system, etc.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
That is interesting. When I did DC many many years ago same thing happened. But I had my best growth spurt too.

Sure Scott I am doing upper load on Sunday night and I will take pictures of the setup. [emoji2]Hopefully it can help someone that has a disability. I have been so motivated watching lifters getting after with worse injuries than mine. I'm talking you teens cleaning and jerking with one arm!

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
(08-29-2021, 09:30 AM)kastro Wrote: That is interesting. When I did DC many many years ago same thing happened. But I had my best growth spurt too.

Sure Scott I am doing upper load on Sunday night and I will take pictures of the setup. [emoji2]Hopefully it can help someone that has a disability. I have been so motivated watching lifters getting after with worse injuries than mine. I'm talking you teens cleaning and jerking with one arm!

Interesting that this happened with DC.  Are you upping your food intake and rest, etc. as well?... 

Are you taking in more anti-oxidant laden foods or supp's with anti-inflammatory properties like curcumin?...

----- 
Man, there are some amazing triumph stories out there!  INCREDIBLE.  I've not got a TV, but need to remember to get online to watch some of the Paralympics which I think are still going on now as I type this.

-S

-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
No tv AlienWell your not missing much.I only watch football most of the time i am online.As far as calories since i got out of the hospital i have been keeping cals around 2k.Im not working so i have to keep bf in check.Once the colder weather hits i am going to up the food intake.I take the kids to the pool some days and do some swimming and 2 or 3 days of incline walking on the treadmill.With fortitude i find i dont need as much cardio.I'm currently at 200 leanest i have been since my twenties.Foods are clean with plenty of fruit mostly strawberries.The hardest thing for me has been my pressing strength.I was never a strong presser but this is the hardest for me to progress in.My loading chest movements are incline smith,flat smith and incline hammer.My max bench was 345x1 and this was ages ago lol.

I put curcumin on pretty much everything i eat and take astragalus daily along with my bp meds.Also my stress pretty much zero after my ordeal.Things that used to ignite me just seem so pointless now(EVEN THE KIDS LOL)cut out toxic people and now just kids,dog and my mom i take care of as she has Parkinsons.I will take the hook pics tonight.Happy sunday Scott!
(08-30-2021, 03:31 AM)kastro Wrote: No tv AlienWell your not missing much.I only watch football most of the time i am online.As far as calories since i got out of the hospital i have been keeping cals around 2k.Im not working so i have to keep bf in check.Once the colder weather hits i am going to up the food intake.I take the kids to the pool some days and do some swimming and 2 or 3 days of incline walking on the treadmill.With fortitude i find i dont need as much cardio.I'm currently at 200 leanest i have been since my twenties.Foods are clean with plenty of fruit mostly strawberries.The hardest thing for me has been my pressing strength.I was never a strong presser but this is the hardest for me to progress in.My loading chest movements are incline smith,flat smith and incline hammer.My max bench was 345x1 and this was ages ago lol.

I put curcumin on pretty much everything i eat and take astragalus daily along with my bp meds.Also my stress pretty much zero after my ordeal.Things that used to ignite me just seem so pointless now(EVEN THE KIDS LOL)cut out toxic people and now just kids,dog and my mom i take care of as she has Parkinsons.I will take the hook pics tonight.Happy sunday Scott!

This is so very nice to read, man: Gleaning perspective and transforming it into wisdom is the beautiful side of life's challenges (almost the point of them it seems, perhaps) that can be often missed.  

That's a very common thing with Fortitude Training (affect on body comp, food intake, etc.   It's interesting b/c I decided to just use some Q's I'd been asked to create content for my podcast (muscle Minds - recorded yesterday) and I used your core original question (on muscle soreness) as also addressed another one on whole body training where I noted this very effect, which you confirmed for me. Smile 

Pressing progress does seem to be the hardest for most to progress on (when intermediate and beyond) and also what tends to slip the most when dieting.  I think some of this is simply b/c of the general focus most have on just moving big weights in the pressing movements early on that progresses the skill / neurological adaptation for these lifts ahead of others, leaving little room for progress  (and greater chance for backsliding) later on in one's lifting journey.   345 for a max bench is damn good, man, though, really!

-S
-Scott

(08-31-2021, 01:19 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: This is so very nice to read, man: Gleaning perspective and transforming it into wisdom is the beautiful side of life's challenges (almost the point of them it seems, perhaps) that can be often missed.  

That's a very common thing with Fortitude Training (affect on body comp, food intake, etc.   It's interesting b/c I decided to just use some Q's I'd been asked to create content for my podcast (muscle Minds - recorded yesterday) and I used your core original question (on muscle soreness) as also addressed another one on whole body training where I noted this very effect, which you confirmed for me. Smile 

Pressing progress does seem to be the hardest for most to progress on (when intermediate and beyond) and also what tends to slip the most when dieting.  I think some of this is simply b/c of the general focus most have on just moving big weights in the pressing movements early on that progresses the skill / neurological adaptation for these lifts ahead of others, leaving little room for progress  (and greater chance for backsliding) later on in one's lifting journey.   345 for a max bench is damn good, man, though, really!

-S
Yay I can't wait for the podcasts. I was listening last night to what has to be one of my favorite episodes which is the high vs low frequency and low vs high carb. You and Scott really put some great ideas on that one.

I'm very excited I finally hit 405x6 on rack deads upper load set. This felt solid and it is the most weight I have used since my disability. Tony Stiles gave me a tip on these "to basically use a hip hinge focusing on keeping shoulders retracted".I had been getting low back stiffness and I believe it was my form.

Anyways Scott I took the pics of the hook and how I use a wrist wrap under it to keep it from slipping. I also have other ideas[emoji3][Image: 7b5ee90bf1f6c11b4037b385bcf9ae7b.jpg][Image: 42615a4a71db4de7eb3cf37399a48255.jpg][Image: 585527074c04f8640cacabf85f1458c2.jpg]

(08-31-2021, 02:35 AM)kastro Wrote: Yay I can't wait for the podcasts. I was listening last night to what has to be one of my favorite episodes which is the high vs low frequency and low vs high carb. You and Scott really put some great ideas on that one.

I'm very excited I finally hit 405x6 on rack deads upper load set. This felt solid and it is the most weight I have used since my disability. Tony Stiles gave me a tip on these "to basically use a hip hinge focusing on keeping shoulders retracted".I had been getting low back stiffness and I believe it was my form.

Anyways Scott I took the pics of the hook and how I use a wrist wrap under it to keep it from slipping. I also have other ideas[emoji3][Image: 7b5ee90bf1f6c11b4037b385bcf9ae7b.jpg][Image: 42615a4a71db4de7eb3cf37399a48255.jpg][Image: 585527074c04f8640cacabf85f1458c2.jpg]

So glad you're digging the podcast!  It's very cool of Scott to basically do all the ground work to let me have that forum to chat with him.

A solid set up, there! That's a standard hook grip you can buy - I've seen but never used one of those.  If you have the links, posting them could be useful for someone down the road. (I'm kind of an information hoarder... Smile )

Do you sense you could basically load whatever you wanted with that hook set-up, or are you nearing its limitations as far as slipping goes?

-S
-Scott

As far as slipping dont think i will have that issue.I pulled 405x6 below the knees on the pulls.The guy who advised me on this setup Chris Ruden was deadlifting 600+ pounds getting ready for a meet.He is also a physique competitor.I also have some liquid chalk to put on the wrap if i feel it might slip.
The hook is-LPG muscle haulin hooks
The wraps are Mark Bell's gangsta wraps lol
(09-01-2021, 08:28 AM)kastro Wrote: As far as slipping dont think i will have that issue.I pulled 405x6 below the knees on the pulls.The guy who advised me on this setup Chris Ruden was deadlifting 600+ pounds getting ready for a meet.He is also a physique competitor.I also have some liquid chalk to put on the wrap if i feel it might slip.
The hook is-LPG muscle haulin hooks
The wraps are Mark Bell's gangsta wraps lol

Bad-ass, man!  Thanks for posting that up.  Sounds like there's nothing holding you back from some crazy pulling!!!

-S
-Scott