Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(07-26-2014, 02:49 AM)ARS Wrote: That's a very interesting perspective on the MR sets. You've got me thinking now. I suppose I could give it a try and just be SUPER cautious. I need to really pay attention to that internal "brake" and shutdown a set when form begins to breakdown. When I was younger (and more stupid), that "brake" didn't work as well. I would always get myself into trouble when pushing near failure on those exercises. With MR sets, you're not taking short pauses (under weight) in between reps to squeeze out the last few. Hmmm...

ARS,

Yeah, common sense should prevail here. I just wanted to note that b//c I'd seen it three times and was quite happy (and those who could use these exercises when they'd not for years were even happier).

Of course, just be careful and have and OUT for the exercise, as you should for any.

Would love to hear how it goes if you decide to experiment. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-26-2014, 03:23 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: ARS,

Yeah, common sense should prevail here. I just wanted to note that b//c I'd seen it three times and was quite happy (and those who could use these exercises when they'd not for years were even happier).

Of course, just be careful and have and OUT for the exercise, as you should for any.

Would love to hear how it goes if you decide to experiment. Smile

-S

Will do. In fact, if I get time, I'll start a journal. I'm usually horrible at keeping it up to date, but we'll see.

Unrelated question - when figuring out the macros - do you go off LBM, not actual bodyweight?
(07-26-2014, 03:32 AM)ARS Wrote: Will do. In fact, if I get time, I'll start a journal. I'm usually horrible at keeping it up to date, but we'll see.

Unrelated question - when figuring out the macros - do you go off LBM, not actual bodyweight?

If you're obese, you can go with LBM (this is safer wrt protein intake b/c the more body fat one has, the less likely to lose muscle mass when dieting).

Frankly, what's going to matter most is how your body is responding to the nutrient manipulations.

Integrative Bodybuilding: When It Comes to Diet, One Size Fits One

Smile Smile Smile

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(07-26-2014, 03:48 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: If you're obese, you can go with LBM (this is safer wrt protein intake b/c the more body fat one has, the less likely to lose muscle mass when dieting).

Frankly, what's going to matter most is how your body is responding to the nutrient manipulations.

Integrative Bodybuilding: When It Comes to Diet, One Size Fits One

Smile Smile Smile

-S

I'll give it a read over the weekend....thanks Scott. It's almost time to go hit my MR workout.......
(07-26-2014, 02:19 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: This is so cool to read.

FYI, I've had a few clients (and friends) who had back issues who found that the MR's allowed them to do exercises with the spine loaded (DL variation and squat variations) when they couldn't before.

What they were finding was that the sets of 4 allowed them to load the muscle before the spine issues (e.g., facet joint arthritis) would flare a limit set performance. I.e., the unloading between sets of 4 in the MR was likely (again, my guess) for the joint to relubricate and decompress.

Over the long haul, there was no exacerbation of symptoms, but these people could do things like SLDL's when they couldn't in the past, and rebuild glute size. All three of those that I'm thinking over were / are in their mid / late 40's.

I'm not saying try to blast through pain, go against Docs orders or what have you, but this was something that actually first came to my attention when a stubborn friend just decided to give the MR's a go with very light weight (doing a SLDL). She found that she could go heavier and heavier (she was VERY happy) and got up to previous working weights this way.

Thereafter, other's tried it out (one of whom is a member here - I can ask him to chime in if you like) and had the same kind of experience. Smile

-S

I have a bad back and hip, Ive had to learn to work around them, usualy doing rack deads, and always last so lower weigh was needed, I just started Fortitude 2 weeks ago...I was able to pull from the floor with MRs and it really hit every part of my back.
(07-26-2014, 01:45 PM)Cerberus777 Wrote: I have a bad back and hip, Ive had to learn to work around them, usualy doing rack deads, and always last so lower weigh was needed, I just started Fortitude 2 weeks ago...I was able to pull from the floor with MRs and it really hit every part of my back.

ANd.... THERE WE GO!!!

THAT is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for chiming in, Cerberus. Smile

Did you feel you could use weight you might not have using straight sets?...

-S
-Scott

(07-26-2014, 03:43 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: ANd.... THERE WE GO!!!

THAT is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for chiming in, Cerberus. Smile

Did you feel you could use weight you might not have using straight sets?...

-S

Absolutely the MR set weight would be a warm up weight for rack deads (BTW I also did underhand BB rows, I stopped those due to possible injury due to weight needed).

There is plenty of room (weight to increase) for progression safely to keep the lifts in.

Thanks for building a program thats exciting, intense, and a beat up aging guy can still do his favorite lifts again in a way that he can still gain, and not just remember the good days, cause more good days are to come Smile

(07-26-2014, 10:47 PM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Absolutely the MR set weight would be a warm up weight for rack deads (BTW I also did underhand BB rows, I stopped those due to possible injury due to weight needed).

There is plenty of room (weight to increase) for progression safely to keep the lifts in.

Thanks for building a program thats exciting, intense, and a beat up aging guy can still do his favorite lifts again in a way that he can still gain, and not just remember the good days, cause more good days are to come Smile

You're welcome!

These ARE the good days! Smile (These are the only days we have - this one right now in particular.)

-S

-Scott

(07-27-2014, 12:00 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You're welcome!

These ARE the good days! Smile (These are the only days we have - this one right now in particular.)

-S

Haha so true, yesterday is a memory, tomorrow doesn't exist. May today the best ever Smile
Scott,
Great book! Easing into the program and really enjoying it!
Page 13 you touch upon how you overtrained for the first time. Can you elaborate a little more? How did you specifically know you were cooked? How did you recover and for how long?