Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(09-08-2014, 01:43 AM)FTCC28 Wrote: I searched the FT training manual for more info on calves and couldn't seem to find much on execution for calf exercises on loading, pump and MR days. If I was doing seated calf raises on loading would that just be 6-12 reps? Pump would be 15-30 and MR would be 6 sets of 4? Is there any kind of DC style rep stretching etc that I am missing?

Thanks

Rep ranges are determined the same way for calves as for other muscle groups.

Rep stretching?...

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Hi Scott,

If I was looking for a leg exercise that complemented the MR aspects of Fortitude Training and brought up my teardrops would I possibly be looking in the right direction with medium stance 45-degree leg press done very deep with slow (say 3 or 4 second) descents, and constant tension?

I took some full body pics today and the teardrop area needs bringing up even more than the rest of me.

Leg extension work aggravates my rebuilt knee (cap and patella tendon) at the very top, so full extensions aren't ideal.

Or, failing that, how crazy would MR lunges be using straps and dumbbells (though I feel lunges mostly in the hamstring area)?

Thanks.
(09-08-2014, 05:45 AM)righty Wrote: Hi Scott,

If I was looking for a leg exercise that complemented the MR aspects of Fortitude Training and brought up my teardrops would I possibly be looking in the right direction with medium stance 45-degree leg press done very deep with slow (say 3 or 4 second) descents, and constant tension?

I took some full body pics today and the teardrop area needs bringing up even more than the rest of me.

Leg extension work aggravates my rebuilt knee (cap and patella tendon) at the very top, so full extensions aren't ideal.

Or, failing that, how crazy would MR lunges be using straps and dumbbells (though I feel lunges mostly in the hamstring area)?

Thanks.

Have you ever tried frog stance hack squats in the hack squat sled? Really allows for a great focus on the tear drop without loading the knee like extensions.
Sadly, the nearest hack squat machine is probably 30 miles away Altamir, but cheers for the response. Smile

Thanks.

You could try:

Leg press with an externally rotated hip position (like the frog stance that Altamir suggested. instead of a 3-4 sec descent (unless you need that for focusing on the VMO), I'd do 1 ½ rep, i.e., Full rep followed by a ½ rep from top mid point to top and then followed by the next full rep (regular rep tempo with deep range of motion still)

you can Do lunges or Romanian split squat variations that way, with DB's or on a smith (I'd not use a BB for the MR's)

I you want use DB's I do them romaian a Romanian split squat form (not walking lunges) and switch sides on the DB's. Set would be 4 Left / 4 right / 4 Left / 4 Right, etc. until you've done 6 sets of 4 for each leg. (No resting between switching sides except to drop the DB and roll to th either side (hold DB on the side of the working leg) or simply pick up the DB you've got ready at arms reach.

Do em like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Ee3M6SDgQ , but switch sides rather than doing drop sets.

You could also set up a leg press or even a standing squat with bands to emphasize tension at the (knee) extension end of the range of motion.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(08-04-2014, 02:17 PM)Cerberus777 Wrote: Extensions have always bothered me, what helps me is....When seated I need to make sure my legs are perfectly strait (witch can really be uncomfortable in the crotch) toes remain straight up on extensions...and I only go light on them these days.

Thanks.

May I suggest belt squats using an Iron Mind belt....the straddling the bar version. I hold on to a support and try to sit back and actually find myself looking down a bit.. I don't lock out and go as deep as I can without the weights hitting the floor......I use 35's and 25's.......for me this really hits the lower thigh......

I also find extensions easier on the knees if I actually lean forward when doing them......not over exaggerated but a noticeable amount.
Very much obliged, Scott.
That's tons to think about (and implement).
I'm on it - torched legs for supper. Smile

dens228 - many thanks for that, too.
I have an IronMind hip belt here - used it for novelty factor then put it to one side.
Will look into this, too.

Awesome forum.
It took me a few workouts to get used to it but I love it now.
(09-08-2014, 11:43 AM)dens228 Wrote: May I suggest belt squats using an Iron Mind belt....the straddling the bar version. I hold on to a support and try to sit back and actually find myself looking down a bit.. I don't lock out and go as deep as I can without the weights hitting the floor......I use 35's and 25's.......for me this really hits the lower thigh......

I also find extensions easier on the knees if I actually lean forward when doing them......not over exaggerated but a noticeable amount.

I like the belt squat idea, I'll put that in my tool box for when one of the quad loading exercises stall.
Scott - Is it wrong to not zig zag exercises and to rest longer? For example today i did leg press, then leg extensions, then leg curls such as the following:

Day 1/4
Volume Tier 2
Basic FT

(In order)

Leg press 1 set x 12
~4 min rest ~
Leg press 1 set x 8 failure
~2 min rest~
Leg Extension 1 set x 12 failure
~2 min rest~
Leg Curl 1 set x 10 failure

Is performing loading days in this manner counterproductive because of our muscle rounds being so heavy? Doing the workout in this manner allowed me to do the same workout as per the manual but put up much higher numbers because I had more rest time and did not include a leg extension in between my presses. Doing this workout by the book makes me use less weight but gives me a much bigger pump.

For those wondering the workout I exampled would be done by the book like this:

Leg press 1 set not reaching failure
~2 min rest~
Leg extension failure
~2 min rest~
Leg press failure
~2 min rest~
Leg curl failure