Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(10-02-2014, 11:20 AM)tj124 Wrote: Is it so hard to give an explanation on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still really hung up on this bit. Isn't it customary to punctuate a question with a question mark (i.e. "Is it so hard to give an explanation on this site????????????")? Or was the OP really making a declaration but just got the first two words backwards (i.e. "It is so hard to give an explanation on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!")? I'm just so confused, why won't any of you asshats help to unconfuse me?!?!?!?!?!?! This place sucks????????????
(10-03-2014, 07:35 AM)Arcangel Wrote: I'm still really hung up on this bit. Isn't it customary to punctuate a question with a question mark (i.e. "Is it so hard to give an explanation on this site????????????")? Or was the OP really making a declaration but just got the first two words backwards (i.e. "It is so hard to give an explanation on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!")? I'm just so confused, why won't any of you asshats help to unconfuse me?!?!?!?!?!?! This place sucks????????????

What in the hell are you talking about!!!!!! I can't stand this any more????

Huh,.?!;";'!

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I'm in my 4 week of FT and i still don't 100% get the pumping sets very well.

MR's and loading i have no doubts anymore. First and second week were a learning phase with MR's, frequency, etc, but now everything is working fine. Problem is, i still feel i'm not doing the pump sets right.

I'm not really sure what weight to pick. I have tried with a weight that i can do 20-25 reps and i do 25, but in the end it didn't felt hard enough, the first 15 reps are very very easy. I have tried with a weight that i can do 15-20 and then i push to do 22-25, and that was much better, better pump and all, but on the other end i get more tired and i don't think that's the purpose of the pump sets.

So, yeh, that's it. Basically i'm not sure if i'm supposed to go balls out and give a very hard 25 reps or just lighter/softer 25. This happen specially on bis and tris, because the direct work is so little that i kind feel the need to go harder.

On that subject, my right forearm is telling me to not go hard on pump sets. I'm getting some pain from all the rows i do.

I have read, probably in this thread, by Dr. Scott, that pump sets are not widow makers so... probably i should go easier?
It explains how to do pump sets in the book clearly. You pick a weight that you can do for 20+ reps and do the reps CONTINUOUSLY without stopping.

Use the SEARCH function on the PDF for pump sets and you'll find he even includes different ways to do these sets as well. My personal favorite being 21's for biceps.

Of course your going to feel tired, the goal is the engorge the muscle with as much blood as humanly possible in one set. If your pushing that 15-20 weight to 22-25 and not cheating on reps and keeping them entirely continuous then your doing it right. As you said.. ''balls out.''

People that lift like pussies never grow! Wink

EDIT: And if your forearm is really bothering you, it's probably time for your cruise week. I've already had three cruises on FT. Just make sure you cruise right, read up!
(10-03-2014, 01:54 PM)tWoBrO Wrote: I'm in my 4 week of FT and i still don't 100% get the pumping sets very well.

MR's and loading i have no doubts anymore. First and second week were a learning phase with MR's, frequency, etc, but now everything is working fine. Problem is, i still feel i'm not doing the pump sets right.

I'm not really sure what weight to pick. I have tried with a weight that i can do 20-25 reps and i do 25, but in the end it didn't felt hard enough, the first 15 reps are very very easy. I have tried with a weight that i can do 15-20 and then i push to do 22-25, and that was much better, better pump and all, but on the other end i get more tired and i don't think that's the purpose of the pump sets.

So, yeh, that's it. Basically i'm not sure if i'm supposed to go balls out and give a very hard 25 reps or just lighter/softer 25. This happen specially on bis and tris, because the direct work is so little that i kind feel the need to go harder.

On that subject, my right forearm is telling me to not go hard on pump sets. I'm getting some pain from all the rows i do.

I have read, probably in this thread, by Dr. Scott, that pump sets are not widow makers so... probably i should go easier?

Liftweights has given you a very good answer.

Couple thoughts:

-Get the forearm checked out. Don't train injured and don't train if you're creating an injury.

-For your pump sets, You could try slowing your reps down to about ½ or ⅔ of your normal tempo, but keep the reps the same. Find a weight so that you end up doing something like this:

-1st 10 reps - pretty easy, finding the groove of the exercises, spreading the load throughout the targeted muscle.

-Next 5 reps - becoming pretty difficult....

Next 3-5 reps - you're struggling to keep the rep tempo and and are tempted to ttake a break between reps, but don't do that. Keep going with that smooth, mechanical perfect tempo until you hit that rep simply isn't going to go without engaging some other muscles, adding some extra body English, etc.

At that point, try to get ~5 partial or ½ reps at one end of the range of motion (whatever feels right for the exercise and is safe, and continue until you're losing connection with the muscle group (as described above).

If possible, do a slow controlled negative to put to weight down.

Go here to about 1:35 and you'll see me doing something similar to this with a preacher biceps curl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...P0JvQ#t=95

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
After liftweights and Dr. Scott answerer I re-read the chapter about pump sets in the book and everything makes better sense now.

Did some pump sets yesterday and the pump was fantastic. Used a weight to complete 15-20 reps and finished off with some partials. Will try some of the other technics on Monday.

Thanks guys

Regarding the forearm pain, I didn't get it training FT. It happen in August when I was trying to up the frequency on biceps. ATM I'm not doing any heavy bis training, I don't do the MR's for bicep, instead I substitute that for a pump set which helps.
(10-05-2014, 07:23 AM)tWoBrO Wrote: After liftweights and Dr. Scott answerer I re-read the chapter about pump sets in the book and everything makes better sense now.

Did some pump sets yesterday and the pump was fantastic. Used a weight to complete 15-20 reps and finished off with some partials. Will try some of the other technics on Monday.

Thanks guys

Regarding the forearm pain, I didn't get it training FT. It happen in August when I was trying to up the frequency on biceps. ATM I'm not doing any heavy bis training, I don't do the MR's for bicep, instead I substitute that for a pump set which helps.

I think we've talked about this forearm thing before...(?)

This should be getting better weekly. The longer it goes on, the more likely a more serious outcome. I'd be doing everything possible to make sure it's getting better lickety split. Smile

-S
-Scott

No we haven't. First time talking about this issue. It's probably a pretty common ache among people that lift weights.

It's something that only hurts when fully contracting the bicep against the forearm. That's the only position that hurts. But i know, from experience, that it can get worse and stay there "forever" if not treated correctly.

To be honest I'm really not sure what to do. I have stopped all heavy bicep exercises, doing only pump sets, supplementing with glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin, and that's about it. It's definitely better but I don't think it's enough.

Doing back exercises doesn't hurt the area, but on the other hand it doesn't really let the forearm rest.

Stopping is not an option, I just can't. I know thats usually the best option, but it's so hard.

Applying some ice a couple times a day? Going to see a doctor?
(10-05-2014, 11:46 AM)tWoBrO Wrote: No we haven't. First time talking about this issue. It's probably a pretty common ache among people that lift weights.

It's something that only hurts when fully contracting the bicep against the forearm. That's the only position that hurts. But i know, from experience, that it can get worse and stay there "forever" if not treated correctly.

To be honest I'm really not sure what to do. I have stopped all heavy bicep exercises, doing only pump sets, supplementing with glucosamine, MSM and chondroitin, and that's about it. It's definitely better but I don't think it's enough.

Doing back exercises doesn't hurt the area, but on the other hand it doesn't really let the forearm rest.

Stopping is not an option, I just can't. I know thats usually the best option, but it's so hard.

Applying some ice a couple times a day? Going to see a doctor?

I'd see a professional.

Without a diagnosis and/or seeing you in person, I've no idea where to start.

Unfortunately, the web (in this form) is a poor, completely inadequate in many cases, medium for remedying musculoskeletal injuries.

-S
-Scott

(10-05-2014, 10:24 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I think we've talked about this forearm thing before...(?)

This should be getting better weekly. The longer it goes on, the more likely a more serious outcome. I'd be doing everything possible to make sure it's getting better lickety split. Smile

-S

That was me actually. I was asking about bicep tendonitis. Your post/questions a few pages back were very helpful. I ended up taking a cruise and stopped all heavy biceps and shoulder pressing. I also readjusted my work station at work so I am a lot more comfortable and not "reaching" for my mouse. The pain is gone and I am still going to take it slow for a bit.