Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FT Questions....
(11-13-2014, 07:30 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You're welcome, Con.

Well, I hope it's smooth sailing, for sure. Sounds like you've been conservative and smart in your use of the kratom and nicotine.

I'm looking forward to the log, for sure. I'm guessing its gonna be a damn good one. Smile

-S

Just wanted to let you know that your post helped me out!
After reading it I became a little concerned thinking that dropping it all at once could cause mental/physical issues.

So I decided to drop the nicotine right away and I dropped the caffeine to 200mg per day.

So going into next week I will only have the kratom to deal with.

Thanks man!
(11-14-2014, 05:55 AM)Con Wrote: Just wanted to let you know that your post helped me out!
After reading it I became a little concerned thinking that dropping it all at once could cause mental/physical issues.

So I decided to drop the nicotine right away and I dropped the caffeine to 200mg per day.

So going into next week I will only have the kratom to deal with.

Thanks man!

Con,

No worries! That's a good call I think. As you've certainly seen, the month or two after a show can be the toughest part sometimes. Moreso for those who are newer to competing, but you pushed things to a different sort of limit this time, so once again, I think that's smart being "kind" to yourself. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
I am trying to get this going but I am just having a hard time putting it all together and getting the "big picture".

I am trying to play this off the training overview sheets.

So for loading of basic version, tier 1, day 1, this is my understanding...

Do 1 set of leg press to failure, then go to a isolation quad such as leg extension and take 1 set to failure, then go to leg curls and take one set to failure. (After failing at each exercise I rest 2 min upon arriving to my next exercise then go)

I then do 1 set of of adductors straight set to failure 10-15 reps.

Then I move to calf exercise where I do 2 sets, (last one to failure). I can use the same machine for both sets. The first set is 1 shy of failure.

I then go to Pump Sets of 15-25 reps for Chest/Back supersetted together. So Ill go to machine fly and make sure this is continuous in motion and even do slow negatives, partials, etc, then go to lets say lat pulldowns and pump 15-25 reps. Both of these are to failure.

Then I go to shoulders and abs supersetted together. Ill perform rear dec fly machine 15-25 reps to failure then 1 set of abs in that rep range to failure along with same layout of slow negatives, partials, etc.

Then I will go to bicep and triceps and do pump for these lets say incline db curl to failure with slow reps etc, then do tricep rope extension same thing to failure.

And of course stretching after the loading exercises.

Do I have tier 1 day 1 down?
(11-19-2014, 12:07 PM)Greekgod10 Wrote: I am trying to get this going but I am just having a hard time putting it all together and getting the "big picture".

I am trying to play this off the training overview sheets.

So for loading of basic version, tier 1, day 1, this is my understanding...

Do 1 set of leg press to failure, then go to a isolation quad such as leg extension and take 1 set to failure, then go to leg curls and take one set to failure. (After failing at each exercise I rest 2 min upon arriving to my next exercise then go)

I then do 1 set of of adductors straight set to failure 10-15 reps.

Then I move to calf exercise where I do 2 sets, (last one to failure). I can use the same machine for both sets. The first set is 1 shy of failure.

I then go to Pump Sets of 15-25 reps for Chest/Back supersetted together. So Ill go to machine fly and make sure this is continuous in motion and even do slow negatives, partials, etc, then go to lets say lat pulldowns and pump 15-25 reps. Both of these are to failure.

Then I go to shoulders and abs supersetted together. Ill perform rear dec fly machine 15-25 reps to failure then 1 set of abs in that rep range to failure along with same layout of slow negatives, partials, etc.

Then I will go to bicep and triceps and do pump for these lets say incline db curl to failure with slow reps etc, then do tricep rope extension same thing to failure.

And of course stretching after the loading exercises.

Do I have tier 1 day 1 down?

Looks pretty good.

Note that you'll have three sets of exercises for your Loading Sets (can be tough to do this with adductors but it can be done), so at least the compound exercises will rotate in this fashion, week by week for the Loading Sets of Day 1 and 2.

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Thank you.

I don't understand your note though. Are you saying I have 3 sets of exercises for loading sets of legs (leg press, leg extension and leg curl) but I don't follow after that. Just that each week the compound exercise will restate so week 2 would be squat for example?

Also what about everyone else trying to hold down 3 machines when doing this?? Seems like depending on the gym and time going it might conflict with other gym members.

(11-19-2014, 12:40 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Looks pretty good.

Note that you'll have three sets of exercises for your Loading Sets (can be tough to do this with adductors but it can be done), so at least the compound exercises will rotate in this fashion, week by week for the Loading Sets of Day 1 and 2.

-S

(11-20-2014, 04:50 AM)Greekgod10 Wrote: Thank you.

I don't understand your note though. Are you saying I have 3 sets of exercises for loading sets of legs (leg press, leg extension and leg curl) but I don't follow after that. Just that each week the compound exercise will restate so week 2 would be squat for example?

Also what about everyone else trying to hold down 3 machines when doing this?? Seems like depending on the gym and time going it might conflict with other gym members.

Hey Bud,

Well, definitely do some searching here (e.g., in the Logs) as I notes in our PM's.

ALso, read page 87 in the book where it explains what you do with loading sets:

Rotating Exercises: Choose THREE Groupings (call them A, B and C) of
Loading Exercises for each muscle group, one set for EACH WEEK and Rotate through these week by week. Most important are the compound exercises, as practical gym limitations may not allow you to always use the same isolation exercises for zig-zagging.

----------

If you can use the same exercises for each of these Loading set rotations, that's great, but the main emphasis is on the COMPOUND exercise. That's the one you want to be you main progression exercise. You don't have to hold down three exercises, at the isolation are 2ndary in importance.

As I've noted before, you can indeed do things like use DB ham curs for your isolation exercises. These you can do on the floor and will always be available to you as long as you can get a dumbbell in the right weight. If you need to use the same isolation exercise for your LOADING sets each time, then you still have variety as long as the COMPOUND Loading sets exercise is different.

-S
-Scott

I think I am finally grasping this. After reading what you said and going over the book again I think I get it.

So lets say for loading day 1 of tier 1, I go from Squat (fail 6-12 reps) and then go to Leg extensions but someone is on it. Do I just wait and then get on it and start the timer once I sit, fail 6-12 reps and then go to seated leg curls? Would that be fine?

Also I am curious about warming up. If I start with squats do I do plenty of warm ups until I find a weight I can fail with at 6-12 reps? But I don't have to do any warmups for everything else?

(11-20-2014, 09:47 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Hey Bud,

Well, definitely do some searching here (e.g., in the Logs) as I notes in our PM's.

ALso, read page 87 in the book where it explains what you do with loading sets:

Rotating Exercises: Choose THREE Groupings (call them A, B and C) of
Loading Exercises for each muscle group, one set for EACH WEEK and Rotate through these week by week. Most important are the compound exercises, as practical gym limitations may not allow you to always use the same isolation exercises for zig-zagging.

----------

If you can use the same exercises for each of these Loading set rotations, that's great, but the main emphasis is on the COMPOUND exercise. That's the one you want to be you main progression exercise. You don't have to hold down three exercises, at the isolation are 2ndary in importance.

As I've noted before, you can indeed do things like use DB ham curs for your isolation exercises. These you can do on the floor and will always be available to you as long as you can get a dumbbell in the right weight. If you need to use the same isolation exercise for your LOADING sets each time, then you still have variety as long as the COMPOUND Loading sets exercise is different.

-S

(11-20-2014, 01:43 PM)Greekgod10 Wrote: I think I am finally grasping this. After reading what you said and going over the book again I think I get it.

So lets say for loading day 1 of tier 1, I go from Squat (fail 6-12 reps) and then go to Leg extensions but someone is on it. Do I just wait and then get on it and start the timer once I sit, fail 6-12 reps and then go to seated leg curls? Would that be fine?

Also I am curious about warming up. If I start with squats do I do plenty of warm ups until I find a weight I can fail with at 6-12 reps? But I don't have to do any warmups for everything else?

Warm-up is totally individual, but I would definitely warm-up for each exercise you intend to use.

The solution to losing the machine is to to the isolation exercise first. (This has been covered elsewhere on the site.)

I would stick with that exercise and use it when you can get on it.

Another option for quads is to do a sissy squat.

With a machine like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01Q-lnf6iU

Old school which you can do pretty much anyplace: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercis...squat.html

-S
-Scott

Could you give an example of how you approach warming up as if you were doing Tier 1 Basic version, day 1?

Do you mimic the patter in which the set up is? For example go to leg press warm up, then go to leg extension and warm up, and then go to leg curl and warm up?

Also what happens if you fail on the leg press for example between 6-12 reps and then you go to the next exercise but you didnt add enough weight and are able to get more than 12?

(11-21-2014, 02:27 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Warm-up is totally individual, but I would definitely warm-up for each exercise you intend to use.

The solution to losing the machine is to to the isolation exercise first. (This has been covered elsewhere on the site.)

I would stick with that exercise and use it when you can get on it.

Another option for quads is to do a sissy squat.

With a machine like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01Q-lnf6iU

Old school which you can do pretty much anyplace: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercis...squat.html

-S

(11-21-2014, 08:47 AM)Greekgod10 Wrote: Could you give an example of how you approach warming up as if you were doing Tier 1 Basic version, day 1?

There should be absolutely no difference in how you'd warm up for any other heavy, high effort set for a given exercise or muscle group.

I absolutely most definitely don't want to sounds condescending, but if you're not sure about how to warm-up, which can very very much depending on a given day (weather, aches n' pains, etc.), they you probably are not in tune enough with your body to be doing any program that is based on progressive overload and pushing your limits.

Some people will do a couple high rep sets or 10-15 and be ready, esp. if the weight is low. If it's a leg press with 12 plates, it might take 5 warm up sets with 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 plates / side for 10, 8, 6, 4, and 4 reps.

Quote:Do you mimic the patter in which the set up is? For example go to leg press warm up, then go to leg extension and warm up, and then go to leg curl and warm up?

If that's what you need to warm up.

Quote:Also what happens if you fail on the leg press for example between 6-12 reps and then you go to the next exercise but you didnt add enough weight and are able to get more than 12?

I'm going to ask you this one.

What do you think you should do in that case?...

-S
-Scott