Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to fail?
Hi Scott, whilst getting to grips with exercises and weights with the program, is it acceptable/a good idea to do extra reps when the weight has been set too low?

For example if I did 12 reps on a last set of compound exercise on a load set but have more in the tank - would it be best to take it to failure and then adjust weight next time?

Same with the pump sets, if Im at 25 reps, pumped but can still get another 5+ half reps out?

I see that it is addressed in the muscle round weight examples where the 6th set has 8 reps but couldn't see it elsewhere.

Thanks Smile
(11-11-2015, 09:33 PM)Robbie Wrote: Hi Scott, whilst getting to grips with exercises and weights with the program, is it acceptable/a good idea to do extra reps when the weight has been set too low?

For example if I did 12 reps on a last set of compound exercise on a load set but have more in the tank - would it be best to take it to failure and then adjust weight next time?

Same with the pump sets, if Im at 25 reps, pumped but can still get another 5+ half reps out?

I see that it is addressed in the muscle round weight examples where the 6th set has 8 reps but couldn't see it elsewhere.

Thanks Smile

Hey Robbie, not Scott, but this has been covered over in FT question somewhere so I feel safe in helping you out. For your loading sets, yes, if you hit 12, rest, and add weight and go again. Again though there have been times I've gotten 13 or 14 reps, and just left it there. It's not like that set was not effective.

For pump sets. Are you asking if half reps are ok? or are you asking if you can stop and then reload the machine to get just 25 reps? As far as half reps, as long as you can keep tension on the muscle, KEEP GOING. so partials or half reps, or whatever you can come up with is ok. Only thing that is not ok is resting. As far as rep ranges. From my experience, Reps are almost inconsequential for pump sets. All that really matters is are you getting a pump, are you focusing on the muscle, are you just working that muscle. and are you doing it over at least decent amount of time. I've had amazing pump sets that have been just 15 reps, and I've had amazing pump sets go over 50 reps. It's just about what connects best with you and that muscle. Let me know if that makes sense.

Also there is are no set number of reps for MRs for the final set if you make it. If you make it to the 6th without hitting failure, you go until failure, if that may be 3 reps, or 10.

Let me know if that clears up any questions, or if you have more. Smile
No that clears it all up I think thanks! Smile
(11-11-2015, 09:33 PM)Robbie Wrote: Hi Scott, whilst getting to grips with exercises and weights with the program, is it acceptable/a good idea to do extra reps when the weight has been set too low?

Thanks Smile

Thanks Altamir for covering this. Smile

I'll just add that the general recommendation for loading sets to to use a weight that you end up doing 6-12 reps with, with only the last (compound) set being taken to failure. (For isolation exercises that are zig-zagged, those can be taken to failure, as long as it's safe to do so.)

So, for that last Thigh Loading set, lets say of a plate loaded squat machine, you would take it to failure even if you are going to go beyond 12 reps. (This is assuming you have a spot or can rest the weight safely at the point where the machine bottoms out.) This is going to tell you how much to increase the loads the next time around.

If you get 20 reps (and this has happened to people who are growing rapidly and not expecting the strength gains), then you'd need to move up more than if you got 13 reps the previous workout. Smile

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(11-12-2015, 05:12 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Thanks Altamir for covering this. Smile

I'll just add that the general recommendation for loading sets to to use a weight that you end up doing 6-12 reps with, with only the last (compound) set being taken to failure. (For isolation exercises that are zig-zagged, those can be taken to failure, as long as it's safe to do so.)

So, for that last Thigh Loading set, lets say of a plate loaded squat machine, you would take it to failure even if you are going to go beyond 12 reps. (This is assuming you have a spot or can rest the weight safely at the point where the machine bottoms out.) This is going to tell you how much to increase the loads the next time around.

If you get 20 reps (and this has happened to people who are growing rapidly and not expecting the strength gains), then you'd need to move up more than if you got 13 reps the previous workout. Smile

-S

"you would take it to failure even if you are going to go beyond 12 reps"

Thats the exact answer I was hoping for Smile
also on tier 2 or 3..when we have 2 or 3 loading sets on a given exercise ..we are going to failure only at the last set or all of them?
(12-12-2015, 02:24 AM)bill2 Wrote: also on tier 2 or 3..when we have 2 or 3 loading sets on a given exercise ..we are going to failure only at the last set or all of them?

This is on page 88 of the book:

"Failure: TAKE ONLY the last compound exercise to absolute failure (with a safe spot). Leave a rep or two in the tank for other sets. Isolation exercises can each be taken to failure, if safe to do so."

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.