Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Execution of Leg Sets
(11-30-2015, 11:41 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: That's an entirely different issue related to performing the exercise "improperly" meaning in a way that predisposes the low back to injury, not an issue with the normal recruitment patterns used to execute the lift.

Have you been lumping squat, leg press and hack squat (machine) together in terms of quad activation over the course of the movement (ROM)?...

-S

I have been for squat & hack squat as the movements are more similar than the leg press in execution.
(12-01-2015, 09:18 AM)bigla2004 Wrote: I have been for squat & hack squat as the movements are more similar than the leg press in execution.

Ok, but you're missing the point I'm trying to make: It seems - correct me if wrong - you've assumed that what Ben says about a poorly executed leg press applies to other (Squat, hack squat, etc.) compound thigh movements.

It sounds like you've extended his statement beyond the context in which it was meant to apply.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(12-02-2015, 12:38 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Ok, but you're missing the point I'm trying to make: It seems - correct me if wrong - you've assumed that what Ben says about a poorly executed leg press applies to other (Squat, hack squat, etc.) compound thigh movements.

It sounds like you've extended his statement beyond the context in which it was meant to apply.

-S

Now that I look at it that way, you're correct
(12-02-2015, 08:31 AM)bigla2004 Wrote: Now that I look at it that way, you're correct

Smile

I really do think that Ben's notions (not that he came up with them per se) of performing an exercise in a manner that constrains the activation pattern to focus on the muscle (group) you intend to train have a lot of merit.

One thing I brought up when he have a presentation on this here in Tampa (that he wasn't even getting at first, I don't think) is that the many EMG studies that are used to investigate that typical activation patterns of certain movements may not apply when someone is purposefully creating a voluntary activation pattern.

(They have some data with EMGs using Ben and another high level - national NPC, I think - bodybuilder showing that Ben's activation patterns differ d/t the way he focuses during training. I haven't seen it published, though... Sad )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.