Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protein pulsing with FT!!??
Hey FT family!! I am recently coming off a bulking phase that I am decently pleased with. My strength increased more than muscle was gained. I was doing the Anabolic diet for a few months and then as the holidays neared I ate with a lot more freedom. I'm currently 6', 195 lbs, BF is a guess I'd say 15-18%.

Goal is to get back down to single digits while keeping as much muscle as possible(or even putting some on). I've been reading lately about pulsing with Peptopro a few times a day, having a peri workout drink(Peptopro,HBCD) and then having 1 large meal at night post workout. Now I've read enough reviews on this style of eating to know it works but my question is if it would be ok to do Fortitude style training alongside? The reason I WANT to do this style of eating is it just seems to fit my day perfectly and I've always done well(especially mentally) with infrequent large meals.

Thanks for any help guys!!
(01-04-2016, 12:56 PM)pumpset33 Wrote: Hey FT family!! I am recently coming off a bulking phase that I am decently pleased with. My strength increased more than muscle was gained. I was doing the Anabolic diet for a few months and then as the holidays neared I ate with a lot more freedom. I'm currently 6', 195 lbs, BF is a guess I'd say 15-18%.

Goal is to get back down to single digits while keeping as much muscle as possible(or even putting some on). I've been reading lately about pulsing with Peptopro a few times a day, having a peri workout drink(Peptopro,HBCD) and then having 1 large meal at night post workout. Now I've read enough reviews on this style of eating to know it works but my question is if it would be ok to do Fortitude style training alongside? The reason I WANT to do this style of eating is it just seems to fit my day perfectly and I've always done well(especially mentally) with infrequent large meals.

Thanks for any help guys!!

Can you simply adapt the diet you've been following to:

1.) Fit your day
2.) Create a caloric deficit
3.) Hold on to muscle
4.) Resemble the pulsing strategy without completing restructuring everything?

(R.e. #4: I'm not a big fan of dramatic shifts in diet, if at all possible, esp. if what you've been doing dietarily has been working. Don't throw out he baby with the bathwater. Smile )

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-05-2016, 01:17 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Can you simply adapt the diet you've been following to:

1.) Fit your day
2.) Create a caloric deficit
3.) Hold on to muscle
4.) Resemble the pulsing strategy without completing restructuring everything?

(R.e. #4: I'm not a big fan of dramatic shifts in diet, if at all possible, esp. if what you've been doing dietarily has been working. Don't throw out he baby with the bathwater. Smile )

-S

Speaking of babies, I have 14.month old that makes it hard to consistently make meals which is why I adapted to infrequent eating. I was curious if that would work with FTraining since it is very intense. BTW fantastic book, was told of it by a friend of yours David Samuel. I was talking about BBB and Titan on another board and he brought FT to my attention!!

(01-05-2016, 04:05 AM)pumpset33 Wrote: Speaking of babies, I have 14.month old that makes it hard to consistently make meals which is why I adapted to infrequent eating. I was curious if that would work with FTraining since it is very intense. BTW fantastic book, was told of it by a friend of yours David Samuel. I was talking about BBB and Titan on another board and he brought FT to my attention!!

Thanks, man! Glad you like the book. Smile

David's great. A good guy in the sport. Smile (Which board were you on?...)

Well your diet is key to recovery, regardless of the training program.

The first thing I would do in your situation is simply start FT, keeping your diet as it has been (as best as possible) and see how body comp changes. Many folks will find they'll lose some fat that way and/or need to eat more to maintain weight.

Thereafter you could switch you diet and you'll know what is needed as far as recovery. (You'll also know what Volume Tier you'll be using which will dictate diet, as well.)

You might put up how your protein pulsing based diet would look. I'm getting the sense this would be somewhat of a cross between a protein-sparing modified fast and "carb backloading."

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(01-06-2016, 01:24 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Thanks, man! Glad you like the book. Smile

David's great. A good guy in the sport. Smile (Which board were you on?...)

Well your diet is key to recovery, regardless of the training program.

The first thing I would do in your situation is simply start FT, keeping your diet as it has been (as best as possible) and see how body comp changes. Many folks will find they'll lose some fat that way and/or need to eat more to maintain weight.

Thereafter you could switch you diet and you'll know what is needed as far as recovery. (You'll also know what Volume Tier you'll be using which will dictate diet, as well.)

You might put up how your protein pulsing based diet would look. I'm getting the sense this would be somewhat of a cross between a protein-sparing modified fast and "carb backloading."

-S

No problem sir.
Met David on one of the facebook forums.

The plan would go as follows.

Wake up 8am

8:15- 20g PeptoPro,10g HBCD

2PM- 20g PeptoPro, 10g HBCD

5PM-Intra workout(Biotest Plazma)

7-10PM Consume remaining calories through whole foods.

Might add optional micellar casein shake at night before bed.
(01-06-2016, 03:02 AM)pumpset33 Wrote: No problem sir.
Met David on one of the facebook forums.

The plan would go as follows.

Wake up 8am

8:15- 20g PeptoPro,10g HBCD

2PM- 20g PeptoPro, 10g HBCD

5PM-Intra workout(Biotest Plazma)

7-10PM Consume remaining calories through whole foods.

Might add optional micellar casein shake at night before bed.

This is just a bit away from an intermittent fasting protocol.

I'd not do that for a couple of reasons:

You'll likely be very hungry before training and this could impact your efforts.

Peptopro and HBCD are fast / easy digesting. With this sort of strategy, you'd want a slow carb / protein source (e.g, casein and something like ModCarb from Truenutrition, plus a fiber source).

I don't have any children, but I would presume you could at least find a bit more time to eat, even if you're a stay a home Dad(?)...

(These seem like desperate measures to me. Again, I'd just change training first and then diet as needed. Smile )

-S
-Scott

(01-06-2016, 05:02 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: This is just a bit away from an intermittent fasting protocol.

I'd not do that for a couple of reasons:

You'll likely be very hungry before training and this could impact your efforts.

Peptopro and HBCD are fast / easy digesting. With this sort of strategy, you'd want a slow carb / protein source (e.g, casein and something like ModCarb from Truenutrition, plus a fiber source).

I don't have any children, but I would presume you could at least find a bit more time to eat, even if you're a stay a home Dad(?)...

(These seem like desperate measures to me. Again, I'd just change training first and then diet as needed. Smile )

-S

Noted. I will adjust accordingly from what I'm already doing. Can't wait to get this FT going!! Absolutely love high frequency. Appreciate your input Scott.
(01-06-2016, 06:57 AM)pumpset33 Wrote: Noted. I will adjust accordingly from what I'm already doing. Can't wait to get this FT going!! Absolutely love high frequency. Appreciate your input Scott.

Sure! I think you'll have a much firmer grasp on what to do once you've got a little of the training under your belt. Smile

-S
-Scott

Hi Sr Scott,
I was looking about your opinion on fasting and I found this old topic. I think it is worthing start from here instead open a new one.

During the last couple of years, several researches have showed the health benefits of fasting. The big public seems to give a lot of attention to fasting (one of the latest best seller, for example, is book written by David Sinclair where he points out the anti aging properties of fasting).

As a Fitness maniac, my big concern whit fasting is related to MPS. As we know, MPS stay elevated just for a day or so after training. Sure, we can optimize the anabolic response to training having a good peri-workout nutrition but I do not if starving for 16/20 hours is the best way to go.
By the other way, from my PERSONAL experience, I can say that I work very well having carbs only all around workout but I "feel" my body starves for protein during the day.
I typically train at night so I have some food before w/o, shake during w/o, I eat a couple of meals post w/o (the last one right before going to bed). Then I starve. I skip my breakfast easily but, at lunch time or in the afternoon I feel I need some protein.

Now, my question is:
do you think that having some proteins during the "fasting hours" (I mean: during the 16 hours I virtually do not have carbs or fat) can reduce the health benefits (mainly: autophagy activation) of fasting?
(01-20-2020, 07:46 AM)duchaine Wrote: Hi Sr Scott,
I was looking about your opinion on fasting and I found this old topic. I think it is worthing start from here instead open a new one.

During the last couple of years, several researches have showed the health benefits of fasting. The big public seems to give a lot of attention to fasting (one of the latest best seller, for example, is book written by David Sinclair where he points out the anti aging properties of fasting).

As a Fitness maniac, my big concern whit fasting is related to MPS. As we know, MPS stay elevated just for a day or so after training. Sure, we can optimize the anabolic response to training having a good peri-workout nutrition but I do not if starving for 16/20 hours is the best way to go.
By the other way, from my PERSONAL experience, I can say that I work very well having carbs only all around workout but I "feel" my body starves for protein during the day.
I typically train at night so I have some food before w/o, shake during w/o, I eat a couple of meals post w/o (the last one right before going to bed). Then I starve. I skip my breakfast easily but, at lunch time or in the afternoon I feel I need some protein.

Now, my question is:
do you think that having some proteins during the "fasting hours" (I mean: during the 16 hours I virtually do not have carbs or fat) can reduce the health benefits (mainly: autophagy activation) of fasting?

Hey Bud!

I'm not at all an expert on autophagy and the intricacy of mechanisms involved fasting an it's potential health benefits.

Generally, though, body*building* is about creating a caloric excess, which opposes the fasting. Mechanistically, we're talking about activating mTOR, IGF-1, and anabolism vs. inhibiting / reducing those and creating intracellular catabolism.

So there's some give and take here and knowing the long haul effects (e.g., longevity / disease morbidity) can't be had with 100% certainty. Where you draw the line (adding protein or not) i would think would depend on what you're trying to achieve with training (are you trying to add muscle or just feel and look as good as possible).

A nutrient timing approach (health proteins and fats) to stave off that feeling of "I'm starving" would likely improve your quality of life, i'd think, but I believe the general consensus (no expert here!) is that one much avoid taking in anything other than water and air during the periods of fasting to fully realize health benefits. How much is lost in eating X amount of protein, I couldn't say...

-S
-Scott