Integrative Bodybuilding
First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - Printable Version

+- Integrative Bodybuilding (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Fortitude Training - The Forum (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-53.html)
+--- Forum: Fortitude Training™ - Program Info, Basics, Testimonals (http://drscottstevenson.com/forum/forum-54.html)
+--- Thread: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome (/thread-1199.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - henke_prytz - 12-31-2018

So I've been doing FT for a few blasts now. I have been using the basic one and worked my way through the Tiers. I am absolutely loving it and will continue blasting away and beating the log. But I have started asking myself why there are no direct arm loading. Would this be taken care of with a similar approach as in DC where compund movements would equal long-term arm gains as well? Or is it just that doing really heavy exercises for biceps and triceps would be a bit risky with little reward in terms of gains? As well as the fact that you "only" do direct arm work 2 times and everything else you hit 3. Just interested to hear about the reason for this. So Scott if you have any input as to what the reasons are for this (or anyone else for that matter) I would love to hear it :-)

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - Scott Stevenson - 12-31-2018

(12-31-2018, 05:54 PM)henke_prytz Wrote: So I've been doing FT for a few blasts now. I have been using the basic one and worked my way through the Tiers. I am absolutely loving it and will continue blasting away and beating the log. But I have started asking myself why there are no direct arm loading. Would this be taken care of with a similar approach as in DC where compund movements would equal long-term arm gains as well? Or is it just that doing really heavy exercises for biceps and triceps would be a bit risky with little reward in terms of gains? As well as the fact that you "only" do direct arm work 2 times and everything else you hit 3. Just interested to hear about the reason for this. So Scott if you have any input as to what the reasons are for this (or anyone else for that matter) I would love to hear it :-)

You hit on the reasons, essentially.

• "RISK:" Heavy arm training very often leads to tendonitis / overuse injuries.

• "FREQUENCY:" Arms are hit quite a bit during chest, back, shoulders and even leg training. Upper body compound movements can be adjusted as well to hit the arms more so (mainly thinking chest hand spacing to hit the triceps, but some back movements can be adjusted as well, depending on the person).

• Arms do tend to grow better from higher rep work for many folks and doing brutal pump sets (and stretching) can help here.

• For many guys, getting more arm size (ala DC as you note) is a matter of simply getting stronger and especially of getting bigger overall. Folks can gain arm size over the course of the first few years of training without gaining a tremendous amount of weight, but eventually overall body size will need to increase for arms to get larger (sans SEO / site injection, etc.).

-S

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - henke_prytz - 01-02-2019

(12-31-2018, 10:44 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You hit on the reasons, essentially.

• "RISK:" Heavy arm training very often leads to tendonitis / overuse injuries.

• "FREQUENCY:" Arms are hit quite a bit during chest, back, shoulders and even leg training. Upper body compound movements can be adjusted as well to hit the arms more so (mainly thinking chest hand spacing to hit the triceps, but some back movements can be adjusted as well, depending on the person).

• Arms do tend to grow better from higher rep work for many folks and doing brutal pump sets (and stretching) can help here.

• For many guys, getting more arm size (ala DC as you note) is a matter of simply getting stronger and especially of getting bigger overall. Folks can gain arm size over the course of the first few years of training without gaining a tremendous amount of weight, but eventually overall body size will need to increase for arms to get larger (sans SEO / site injection, etc.).

-S

Thanks for that answer. It's sooo good to be able to confirm these kinds of things with bright people like you. I have been thinking about this for such a long time and it makes sense that it would be that way, but it's nice to have it in black and white Big Grin Again thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!!

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - Scott Stevenson - 01-02-2019

(01-02-2019, 08:08 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: Thanks for that answer. It's sooo good to be able to confirm these kinds of things with bright people like you. I have been thinking about this for such a long time and it makes sense that it would be that way, but it's nice to have it in black and white Big Grin Again thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!!

You're absolutely welcome!

If you read the FT forum sticky FAQ thread (here on the discussion board), one of the Q's is about bringing up weak muscle groups and this would apply to arms as well. (This one's be asked a few times around here. )

-S

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - henke_prytz - 01-03-2019

(01-02-2019, 11:23 PM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You're absolutely welcome!

If you read the FT forum sticky FAQ thread (here on the discussion board), one of the Q's is about bringing up weak muscle groups and this would apply to arms as well. (This one's be asked a few times around here. )

-S

Thanks for that tip I'll have a read through. I am not really trying to bring them up though. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind your ways haha Big Grin Thanks Scott

RE: First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome - Scott Stevenson - 01-03-2019

(01-03-2019, 08:39 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: Thanks for that tip I'll have a read through. I am not really trying to bring them up though. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind your ways haha Big Grin Thanks Scott

No problem!

-S