Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First blast! Any tips/recomendations are welcome
Hi guys I am about to start my first blast using FT. I have been using DC for about 2 years now and have absolutely loved it. But I have always had my eye on FT and thought it is about time I give it a go. So I have outlined a Tier 2 simply to get my head around it and I will start week 1 with the Tier 1 as recommended. But are there any obvious flaws that I have missed in my planning? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! And also thank you Scott for all this information that you have created and I must say that I really like the look and thought behind this program, so thank you very much Big Grin

Fortitude training TIER 2
Basic

Week 1 Day 1 Tier 2
Lower Load Upper Pump

Lower Load
Zig-zag Thigh,Quad, Ham together
Thigh 2x6-12

Quad 1x6-12
-
Ham 1x6-12

Adductors 1 RPx 15-20

Calf 4x6-12

Upper pump (supersets/giant sets, intensity techniques)

Chest/Back 2x15-25 (2 different exercises each 1 set each)

Shoulder/Abs 2x15-25 (2 different exercises each 1 set each)

Bi/Tri 1x15-25 (1 exersice each, 1 sets each)

Week 1 Day 2 Tier 2
Upper Load Lower Pump
Upper Load
Zig-zag Back, Chest, Delts individually (Compound + Iso)

Back 3x6-12

Chest 2x6-12

Shoulders 2x6-12

Lower Pump (supersets/giant sets, intensity techniques)

Thigh 2x15-25

Quad/Ham 1x15-25 (1exersice each, 1 set each)

Calf x1 (not included in Superset)

Thigh, Quad, Hams done as one giant set plus added intensity techniques

Week 1 Day 3 Tier 2
Lower Muscle Rounds

Thigh 2xMR (2 different exercises, 1 set each)

Quad 1xMR

Ham 1xMR

Calf 2xMR (2 different exercises, 1 set each maybe due to equipment??? )

Biceps 1xMR

Forearms –

Abs (optional)1xMR

Week 1 Day 4 Tier 1
Upper Muscle Rounds

Back Thickness 1-2xMR (1-2 different exercises, 1 set each)

Back Width 1-2xMR (1-2 different exercises, 1 set each)

Chest 2xMR (2 different exercises, 1 set each)

Shoulders 2xMR (2 different exercises, 1 set each)

Triceps 1xMR

My picks for Load Exercises

A Week 1

Lower Load

Thigh
Front Squat
Quad
BB Summersault squat (raised heel)
Ham
Standing Leg Curl
Adductor
Add. Machine
Calf
Seated Calf raises

A Week 1
Upper Load

Back Width
Rack chins
Back Thickness
BB rows
Chest
Decline BB Bench Press
ISO Cable crossover
Shoulders
Seated BB OH Press
ISO BB Upright rows

B Week 2
Lower Load

Thigh
BB Squat
Quad
DB sissy squat
Ham
Seated leg curl
Adductor
Add. Cable 1 leg
Calf
Leg press Calf raises

B Week 2
Upper Load

Back Width
Pulldowns parallel
Back Thickness
T-bar rows
Chest
Plate loaded incline Press
ISO Pec Dec
Shoulders
Plate loaded Press
ISO Cable Side raises

C Week 3
Lower Load

Thigh
Leg press
Quad
Leg ext
Ham
Decline DB curl
Adductor
Add. Machine paused
Calf
Machine Calf raises

C Week 3
Upper Load

Back Width
Pull Ups
Back Thickness
Rack Deadlift
Chest
Incline BB Press
ISO Incline DB fly
Shoulders
Machine Press
ISO Db side raises

There it is. I hope this is a good outline and exercise choice. I have based most of the exercises on what equipment my gym has and also what I can get to easily. If you guys have any feedback I would love to hear it. And as I said I will start with Tier 1 but if I want to jump up a Tier then I want to have it planned out before Big Grin
Thanks guys Big Grin

Exercise selection looks good to me. Good job starting out on tier 1 as recommended. My advice is to make sure you're really firing on all cylinders and getting the most out of each and every set before moving up in volume tier. As an experienced DC trainer, you might be able to generate enough intensity to milk tier 1 for a while!
Henke,

You're welcome!

I'd take a closer look at how you're coupling Thigh Loading set exercises.

Sommersault squats are done on a smith machine (not BB), so you'd want to do smith front squats very possibly that day.

If you're doing DB sissy squats, I'd also do DB ham curls that day as well.

I'd not do unilateral (standing) hamstring curls as a loading set, unless you are sure you'll put them at the end of the Loading sets and are maybe intentionally doing them this way b/c your'e got a substantial hamstring (left-right) imbalance.

-S
-Scott

Thanks for joining my Forum! dog

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-22-2018, 12:01 AM)ebado Wrote: Exercise selection looks good to me. Good job starting out on tier 1 as recommended. My advice is to make sure you're really firing on all cylinders and getting the most out of each and every set before moving up in volume tier. As an experienced DC trainer, you might be able to generate enough intensity to milk tier 1 for a while!

Thank you for the tip. I will def make sure I exhaust Tier 1 before moving up!!!
(09-22-2018, 03:22 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: Henke,

You're welcome!

I'd take a closer look at how you're coupling Thigh Loading set exercises.

Sommersault squats are done on a smith machine (not BB), so you'd want to do smith front squats very possibly that day.

If you're doing DB sissy squats, I'd also do DB ham curls that day as well.

I'd not do unilateral (standing) hamstring curls as a loading set, unless you are sure you'll put them at the end of the Loading sets and are maybe intentionally doing them this way b/c your'e got a substantial hamstring (left-right) imbalance.

-S

Thank you for your input Scott. I def see what you're saying. The biggest reason for my choice of exercises is due to a very crappy selection of equipment (my gym doesn't have a smith machine only a "freedom rack").

So I was planning on doing the Sommersaults with a BB since I saw that being done (video showed very light weight though) but I am open for other ideas maybe some Anderson squats here but that might not be a "quad" movement.

And regarding the standing ham curls I might switch them for fetal curls instead if that would be a better option because I don't really have substantial imbalance so I'll go for something more compound, thanks. Thank you so much for the input and it has already been taken on board Big Grin
(09-22-2018, 07:15 PM)henke_prytz Wrote: Thank you for your input Scott. I def see what you're saying. The biggest reason for my choice of exercises is due to a very crappy selection of equipment (my gym doesn't have a smith machine only a "freedom rack").

So I was planning on doing the Sommersaults with a BB since I saw that being done (video showed very light weight though) but I am open for other ideas maybe some Anderson squats here but that might not be a "quad" movement.

And regarding the standing ham curls I might switch them for fetal curls instead if that would be a better option because I don't really have substantial imbalance so I'll go for something more compound, thanks. Thank you so much for the input and it has already been taken on board Big Grin

You're welcome!

You could change your foot position substantially on the leg press for a variation there.

I'd pick up a hip squat belt from ironmind.com, which will give you a load of other exercise options, including lap squats.

You could do a leg press and then use a SLDL as your ham isolation exercise, maybe with DB's. (This is typically easy to add in as the DB's will be heavy and not in use, so you'd not even need to drag them over to the L. press)

If this is the freedom rack you mean, it's a great piece of equipment, IMO: Star Trac Max Rack | Star Trac

-S
-Scott

The above and all material posted by Scott Stevenson are Copyright © Scott W. Stevenson and Evlogia QiWorks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
(09-23-2018, 02:00 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: You're welcome!

You could change your foot position substantially on the leg press for a variation there.

I'd pick up a hip squat belt from ironmind.com, which will give you a load of other exercise options, including lap squats.

You could do a leg press and then use a SLDL as your ham isolation exercise, maybe with DB's. (This is typically easy to add in as the DB's will be heavy and not in use, so you'd not even need to drag them over to the L. press)

If this is the freedom rack you mean, it's a great piece of equipment, IMO: Star Trac Max Rack | Star Trac

-S

I have been looking at the lap squats as a really good option. I will have to look into getting one of those belts!!! Could you use a dip belt and hook two carbiners to either side of the belt where the chain attaches and attach some straps to it that way??? I might have to try that Big Grin For now, though I may have to go with the leg press option you're referring to. I'm afraid the db STLD are not really an option due to my gym has db's that go up to 32,5 kg. I will keep these comments and ideas in the back of my mind for when I move on to a more equipped gym and can program things exactly how I want to.

And yes that is the exact model we have. I have honestly had a bit of a hard time making a good use of it. The gym doesn't have a rack or a smith only this. So I have had to become very clever in what exercises to do and how to do them. Now after 2 years I have learned to appreciate this machine but it's still not free weights haha.

Again thank you so much for the input and I will def make the changes suggested.
(09-23-2018, 06:03 AM)henke_prytz Wrote: I have been looking at the lap squats as a really good option. I will have to look into getting one of those belts!!! Could you use a dip belt and hook two carbiners to either side of the belt where the chain attaches and attach some straps to it that way??? I might have to try that Big Grin For now, though I may have to go with the leg press option you're referring to. I'm afraid the db STLD are not really an option due to my gym has db's that go up to 32,5 kg. I will keep these comments and ideas in the back of my mind for when I move on to a more equipped gym and can program things exactly how I want to.

I'd not try to use a dip belt for lap squats - the bar needs to be as high on the thighs as possible and some dip belts aren't made to handle that much weight. Also, you'll need large mouth carabiners that will fill around a bar, ideally. Smile

You could use BB SLDL. Smile

Quote:And yes that is the exact model we have. I have honestly had a bit of a hard time making a good use of it. The gym doesn't have a rack or a smith only this. So I have had to become very clever in what exercises to do and how to do them. Now after 2 years I have learned to appreciate this machine but it's still not free weights haha.

Again thank you so much for the input and I will def make the changes suggested.

You're welcome!

You can put a barbell in the frame the freedom rack and use both a free free bar and the bar on runners, even if you wanted to load two bars, lets say to do a OH press and a CG row for Loading sets. (Or you could just use the rack and leave the guided bar racked and out of the way on the opposite side of the rack.)

You might even be able to set the safeties in place an do squats on one end and use a free bar on the other side to do SLDL's, with the bar starting from a racked position off the floor (below the safeties). Smile

-S

-Scott

(09-24-2018, 09:53 AM)Scott Stevenson Wrote: I'd not try to use a dip belt for lap squats - the bar needs to be as high on the thighs as possible and some dip belts aren't made to handle that much weight. Also, you'll need large mouth carabiners that will fill around a bar, ideally. Smile

You could use BB SLDL. Smile

You're welcome!

You can put a barbell in the frame the freedom rack and use both a free free bar and the bar on runners, even if you wanted to load two bars, lets say to do a OH press and a CG row for Loading sets. (Or you could just use the rack and leave the guided bar racked and out of the way on the opposite side of the rack.)

You might even be able to set the safeties in place an do squats on one end and use a free bar on the other side to do SLDL's, with the bar starting from a racked position off the floor (below the safeties). Smile

-S

Thanks for the tip on dip belts as I would def have tried it and racked my head as to why it doesn't work haha. Plus I might have broken my belt. Using the rack height to use different exercises is something I've never thought of and will def try. I have been doing the free weight squats in the rack and it worked pretty well until reaching heavier all-out sets where it has felt a bit unsafe at times to re-rack the weight since I need to create a bit of space between the stopper and the plate and set the weight down unevenly in the rack as the barbell is to narrow to fit the rack. But it have certainly been doable and I've used it this way for 2 odd years Big Grin What is it they say about not having equipment makes you think outside the box haha. I found another variation of squats too that I thought looked kinda nice. Have you tried landmine belt squats for quads? They look easy to set up and they look like they can create a decent load for the quads. And if done with a raised heel maybe even more? What do you think?

Hey Scott so just one more question regarding diet. Being a vegetarian and getting my protein from legumes for 2 of my meals. And the rest from vegan protein powders and eggs. Would you make any alterations to the overall amount of protein? What amount of protein would you go with? I've been doing my diet based on Dante's recommendations of 2xbodyweight in Lbs would you keep that number the same or go lower?

This is my current diet:

Meal 1: Measurement Calories Protein Carbs Fats
Whole egg 4 296 25 1,4 20
Oats 60g 204 8 40 3,5
Banana 1 121 1,4 31 0,4
PB 30g 178,8 9 3,6 13,8
Lemon water + applecider vinegar
Multi
Total meal 1 799,8 43,4 76 37,7

Meal 2: Measurement Calories Protein Carbs Fats
Protein pulver 100g 391 75 6,25 7,5
Total meal 391 75 6,25 7,5